• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bateson report

That's quite an amazing report.
One bit really surprised me..

The extent of the trade in dogs is astonishing. One member of my Advisory group visited a dog breeding establishment in the Republic of Ireland where 5000 dogs are bred per year in this one establishment. Many other dog farms exist in the Republic. The great majority of the puppies are sold in Southern England
Good grief....:-?

Sins

Bateson Report

I have just printed off the full Report,maybe us intersted folk can have a Discussion about it in a wee while....

Bateson Report

Just had to make this comment and it was made on the CC List ,it Scunnered me, Scots word for Sickened, ..

That there would be some rubbing their Hands with Glee at more Breeding Bashing .

Can't some Cavalier Breeders understand that the out-come of the Bateson Report might at last be giving Dogs the chance of Healther ,Longer Lives.

What is wrong with some Cavalier Breeders, what is their Problem. !!!!

Bateson Report

Forgot to say Margaret,

Best of Luck this after-noon, and Thanks again to You , Carol , Karlin, and Jemima,

The Bateson would never have seen the Light of Day if it had not been for you Folk .

Bateson Report

Just watched the BBC TV News at 1 pm

There was a News Interview about the Bateson Report ,which began with the showing of about a dozen Cavaliers, then it showed a Cavalier Screaming and Scratching which the Commentator described as Syringomyelia ,which is caused in Cavaliers, because the Fashion for Cavaliers is for Small Heads ,that it's now got to the Stage where their Brains are too Large for their Heads.

I sure feel Vindicated to-day ,after hearing this.

I have said for a few years now , that the Cavaliers' are Smaller than they were about 20 or so years ago.

Bateson Report

Should have said that Cavalier Heads are Smaller than they were 20 or so years ago

Bateson Report

Just Phoned the BBC about their 1pm TV News Program, and said to who I was speaking to ,that they were Spot On about about mentioning that our Cavaliers have Smaller Heads than they had about 20 years ago.

They were interested in what I had to say about this, and when had I begun to notice when this was beginning to happen.

I did mention that this was the Fashion that was winning in the Show Scene ,and the Person at the BBC said this would be the Reason.

Bet,
Take a look at my cavalier Daisy.
She's an old fashioned Irish cavalier,going very quickly back to old UK/Irish lines....good sized elongated head....skull flat between the ears.

4273548149_d9372b48b6.jpg

If head shape were the only answer,then how can she have two syrinx's?
You assisted various researchers in tracing pedigrees back to the 1950's. Is it not possible the SM was with the breed from the very beginning and only with the advent of sophisticated diagnostic equipment and improved animal welfare that the condition has come to the fore??
Just a thought.
Sins

This is what Bateson mentioned in his report about Syringomyelia.

6.17 Strong evidence suggests, however, that certain specific phenotypes have a negative impact on welfare by creating pain or suffering; or by impeding the normal behaviour of the animal. Prominence has been rightly given to syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. In this case the brain continues to grow after the skull has ossified with the result that the canal between the ventricles of the brain and the spinal cord is occluded. The eventual result is evident pain in the dogs and fitting. However, prior to that the dog may not manifest obvious clinical signs but become quiet and inactive. I was given details of one case in which the dog, termed by its owner as lazy, was given a pain-killer by the veterinary surgeon. The dog perked up after the analgesic was administered and immediately became more playful. The expression of its face was also reported to have changed. Before and after analgesia expressions are shown in the photographs.

This is what Bateson mentioned in his report about Syringomyelia.

6.17 Strong evidence suggests, however, that certain specific phenotypes have a negative impact on welfare by creating pain or suffering; or by impeding the normal behaviour of the animal. Prominence has been rightly given to syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. In this case the brain continues to grow after the skull has ossified with the result that the canal between the ventricles of the brain and the spinal cord is occluded. The eventual result is evident pain in the dogs and fitting. However, prior to that the dog may not manifest obvious clinical signs but become quiet and inactive. I was given details of one case in which the dog, termed by its owner as lazy, was given a pain-killer by the veterinary surgeon. The dog perked up after the analgesic was administered and immediately became more playful. The expression of its face was also reported to have changed. Before and after analgesia expressions are shown in the photographs.

I think the photos are of Tania's little cavalier.

I have not managed to sit and digest all the report yet. There is a lot to take in, but my first impression is this is going to be very good news for all dogs.

I would like to say thank you to Carol Fowler, who showed me that anything is possible if you are determined enough, Clare Rusbridge & Penny Knowler for their amazing work in identifying the SM problem, and Jemima Harrison for making the film and exposing the health issues in pedigree dogs.

Back