• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stray Dog

Furry_Monster

Hello guys.
Erm there seems to be a stray dog roaming around the street. It's been here since sunday lunch time. It has no collar on it and there is never anyone around. I've been out to try and catch it to see if it had a collar it just keeps walking off.
Should I just leave it? Or should I try and catch it, if so what do I do then? If not to catch it should I ring someone?
It's medium size, tan and black, short haired with floppy ears and a waggy tail. Doesn't seem under fed or anything, it's just unusual for a dog to be wandering around here.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If the dogs is still around I would try and entice it with some tit-bits, and then take it in. It might have a collar and identity disc, if so then you will be able to contact the owner. If you are in the UK, the weather at the moment is very cold, and I wouldn't like to think the dog would be outside all night!

If you do take it in, then you will need to be prepared to keep it overnight, then telephone the local dog shelter, or RSPCA, or dog warden and hand it over to them tomorrow. At least that way it will have a warm night. Of course, you won't know how the dog will react when you bring it inside, so there is a risk involved! heaven forbid if it eats all you furnishings overnight:eek:

You haven't said anything about the area you are from, whether it is a village or a built up area. Do you know if anyone new has moved in near you recently? or if it is an area of high density housing, it might just be a latch key dog?

Last dog I caught didn't have a collar on, it does make it harder. Get a lead and push the clip end through the handle end then you have a loop to slip over the dogs head. If the dogs a puller it's tricky as now you only have the clip end to hold onto. You'd also be surprised how many dogs will sit if you ask them, you could try that. Take treats too like Sue said.

It is most likely someone's pet and I bet they would be very grateful if they could get him back. Try treats and after you have given him a few, hold them out in front of a looped leash/collar so that he has to put his head through the loop to get the treat. Does he seem friendly? If he isn't don't try and corner him.

Then I'd call your local vet to see if anyone has reported him missing (leave the particulars if they do) and I'd contact animal control. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Ours has been microchipped. If you do get it I would takle it to the vet right away so they can scan it. I imagine any vet would that it wouldn't even need to be yours. If it looks in pretty good shape I'm guessing too that it's a pet. I hope you are able to get the dog in safety and hopefully back to it's owner.

Back