PDA

View Full Version : Weird Cavalier habits

Bec
16th January 2010, 01:50 PM
I would love to here of some of the strange/weird/amusing habits your cavy has/or does!:dogwlk:

Gem
16th January 2010, 02:47 PM
our blenheim girl loves been under things - if im under a blanket - she has to be under it, or she will get under the sofa cushion, try to crawl under your jumper etc - she's not atall shy or anything but loves been tucked up under something :huh:

my little tri girl has a habbit of fish watching - she will stand on her back legs for ages watching the fish tank or hang over our pond. her head just follows the fish movements it amuses her for hours!

jld
16th January 2010, 03:14 PM
I am so glad you posted this, as I have been wondering if any other cavalier has this wierd habit. Every time I put on hand cream, face cream, really any kind of lotion, Dixie races over and tries to lick it. I have seen her trying to get into the lotion jar, vaseline jar etc. She is obsessed with lotion.......What in the world ?????? Oh, and she is definitely a paper shredder too. She will lay there and shred it unitl it is in tiny little pieces. I should just give her my mail that I need shredded......

waldor
16th January 2010, 03:30 PM
jld - Same here with the hand lotion. Not necessarily charging over to lick it but she does want to lick it.

Sunna
16th January 2010, 06:43 PM
Haha and I thought Mirra was the only one - she LOVES lotion.. Quite weird dogs we have there :D

shippers
16th January 2010, 07:31 PM
Lois loves to steal dirty washing out the washing basket and socks off the maiden. Sally loves to lick lotions but I do stop her as I'm worried about the chemicals in it. They both love sneaking under our duvet if they are allowed in our room in the morning when one of us goes to work. Another thing is paper Lois will shred it in seconds. I remember when she was a puppy the door bell went and when I came back from answering the door Sally's vets notes were shredded on the floor! They sound like well trained dogs don't they LOL!!

diddy
16th January 2010, 07:40 PM
Yes, any sort of hand/foot cream seems to act like a magnet, even the menthol foot cream wont put them off :eek:. Maybe when Im bored I should compare the ingredients and see if there is a common denominator somewhere? :)

Sabby
16th January 2010, 07:56 PM
Yes all three of mine like lotion but only certain ones. Ebony loves the eye cream from Lush, she got expensive taste. She even knows what one it is just by me picking up the bottle. I donít allow them to lick it. And they all love it when I wear Mascara.

Karen and Ruby
16th January 2010, 08:28 PM
Charlie likes to bark at me when I spray Deodrant- im thinking of changing to a roll on!!!

He also trys to attack ANY item of clothing I attempt to dress myself in, from shoes to scarves to socks and coats!!! I literally have him hanging off me as I attempt to leave the house!
Bless himxx

Mindysmom
16th January 2010, 09:01 PM
Max loves to take laundry out of the basket/washer/dryer. I need to train him to transfer from washer to dryer to basket:D He also loves to steal my socks and gloves.

He is also a lotion licker.

Tania
16th January 2010, 09:51 PM
Yes all three of mine like lotion but only certain ones. Ebony loves the eye cream from Lush, she got expensive taste. She even knows what one it is just by me picking up the bottle. I donít allow them to lick it. And they all love it when I wear Mascara.

I wonder if Brian has this problem ?
:jump:

dyrojo
16th January 2010, 09:58 PM
Jesse has a habit of finding every available shoe, picking it them up and carrying them to her bed. She then curls up amongst them all and falls asleep.. odd:D

sarahso
17th January 2010, 12:31 AM
:D great thread!

Baxter has a very annoying habbit of trying to "dig" into you, usually between your shoulder & neck - until you lift up the duvet for him to sleep on his back. legs in air with his head on your pillow all snug!

*Pauline*
17th January 2010, 01:24 AM
It's not so much a habit but Dylan likes to sleep on my clothes while I take a bath. The funny part is, he waits in the hall to see if I'm taking my clothes off to determine if it's bath time for me or him. As soon as I take something off he comes in.

hbmama
17th January 2010, 02:03 AM
When I give Dottie a Bully stick, she will carry it all around the house, looking for a very special place to hide it. I have seen her carefully and quietly put it underneath magazines in the reading basket, under couch cushions, and under furniture.

I often pretend that I am not paying attention to her as she is searching for the perfect hiding place, but then if she sees me, or Claire, looking at her, she sighs, digs it out of the spot and looks for another place for it to go!

She has been sneaky enough about it that I have not found the darn things for days, then she will just one day come trotting in with one. She always remembers her hiding places! :D

Mom of Jato
17th January 2010, 02:03 AM
Jato loves body lotion, mascara, and especially lip gloss/chapstick. He always wants to smell me and try to lick it off. Very strange- glad to know he isn't the only one. :rolleyes:

Bec
17th January 2010, 03:34 AM
Lol i love all those post's! Wow im so glad so hear that all our cavys have some rather amusing habits!
Yes bella LOVES paper especially tissues! I come home from work and walk into my room and there on my floor are tissues used to remove make-up all over the floor, the cute thing is, is she comes over to me all sooky like shes saying "What mummy? I didn;t do it" And she has bits of tissue hanging out of her mouth! Heheh!

She watches me put my makeup on and if im sitting on my bed doing it she will come over to my face and stick her nose near my eye and sniff for ages!

She also has a habit of tapping my arm with her paw repeatedly until she can come into the blanket.

She loves the washing too, if there is a sock on the ground she will put her head on it, she also will jump onto a full washing basket and lay on top.

And the cutest thing she does is when i get home, she has this tiny little moo cow toy and franticly finds it, puts it in her mouth tail & bum wagging so fast and will follow me around with this little cow toy until i give her a pat :)

Erin2854
17th January 2010, 03:51 AM
Wow this is funny, my pup does almost all these things! Loves to shred paper, cardboard, etc. If its there, she will shred it. Loves licking me if I have lotion on. And is a total laundry stealer..esp dirty laundry (ick!). She's also a garbage stealer and likes to run off into the bathroom to try to steal something out of the garbage (gross!)

Rj Mac
17th January 2010, 09:05 AM
Lucy has a habit of raiding the washing basket, nothing gets destroyed.....just displaced:rolleyes:......And at bed time, she will go to her own basket no probs, but it's as if she watches us out of the corner of her eye's,because as soon as she deems it safe - ie. thinks we'r asleep - she's straight up on our bed, trying to get under the covers:rolleyes:

Bec
17th January 2010, 10:37 AM
Wow this is funny, my pup does almost all these things! Loves to shred paper, cardboard, etc. If its there, she will shred it. Loves licking me if I have lotion on. And is a total laundry stealer..esp dirty laundry (ick!). She's also a garbage stealer and likes to run off into the bathroom to try to steal something out of the garbage (gross!)

Yes! Bella also steals things out of the bathroom garbage...the look on my poor brothers face when there she was ripping apart a um USED 'feminine' product :yuk:...oh dear! poor boy has never recovered lol!

Rj Mac
17th January 2010, 01:44 PM
Also, I know Jake is not a Cav, but he's got this habit at the river, of phisically diving down under the surface, collecting stones from the bottom, and piling them up at the side......:rolleyes:

Mindysmom
17th January 2010, 01:52 PM
My parents mini-daschund used to dive for stones too!

SamT
17th January 2010, 02:08 PM
ha ha I love all the posts too!!

Sam likes bringing in stuff from outside, usually stones, he came in with a big huge lump of ice a few weeks ago, he looked so funny because it was sticking out the sides of his mouth!! He also loves stealing socks from the basket and sometimes he sticks his head into the washing machine while I'm putting the clothes in it!!

Charlie likes taking tissues you leave down for a minute (usually when I'm feeding the baba cause I cant get up) and bringing them into his bed. He also sits on Sams head for some reason, poor Sam just sulks!

Claire L
17th January 2010, 03:30 PM
Our first cav Rudee used to love me to throw sticks into the sea for her to retrieve :) she would let me do this three or four times and then she would march past me up into the dunes and wait until I turned my back to her, so she could hide it. If I tried to turn back to see where she was heading, she would stop and wait again until I turned away :p then she would come back and EXPECT me to have a new stick ready to throw for her.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k37/poochpal_2006/7.jpg

Quinny74
17th January 2010, 05:06 PM
Becky cries if my wife looks in the mirror. She also cries if we pick one of the others up. The only way to stop her from crying is to pick her up, cradle her like a baby and let her give you a lick.

Buffy loves it if you put your mouth to her neck and talk. I think she likes the vibrations.

Charlifarley
17th January 2010, 06:15 PM
They all have their own idiosyncrasies (as in I can't spell:D) Bosco likes to lick and lick the patio door. Have to keep it in check though, would hate him to become compulsive about it.
He also loves to lick the back of my hands, I used to think it was hand cream, but he will do it long after I have washed my hands.
Since he was a pup he has had lots of fun chasing his tail. If he is getting nowhere, he will stick his behind up to the chair or in a corner, so he can get hold of it!

Rj Mac
17th January 2010, 08:24 PM
Our first cav Rudee used to love me to throw sticks into the sea for her to retrieve :) she would let me do this three or four times and then she would march past me up into the dunes and wait until I turned my back to her, so she could hide it. If I tried to turn back to see where she was heading, she would stop and wait again until I turned away :p then she would come back and EXPECT me to have a new stick ready to throw for her.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k37/poochpal_2006/7.jpg

This is a beautiful photo:D

jld
17th January 2010, 08:41 PM
I agree that is a gorgeous photo posted by Claire. The water is so clear and sparkly.

Marjorie
17th January 2010, 08:42 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with cosmetic hounds. My Taffy has everyones hands licked raw.

Claire L
17th January 2010, 09:49 PM
I agree that is a gorgeous photo posted by Claire. The water is so clear and sparkly.

Thank you! That photo was taken in Glendalough Co Wicklow.

Margaret C
17th January 2010, 10:52 PM
My cavaliers have become rather elderly and staid, although Tommy & Matthew still enjoy a lick of hand cream or vaseline.

The Chins have little quirks, Dandy has to sleep on my discarded sweater, he waits for me to put it on the bed. Benny has to sleep on my pillow at night, and during the day he tidies himself away on a shelf under my computer while I am typing. :*bay:

Fonzi guards his morning treat all day with Bridgette laying siege to him. When he is desperate to go outside he will come & find me, drop his treat & expect me to take care of it. This involves me in an undignified scramble to get to it before Bridgette, who has been waiting for this moment.

Monty, when alive, would bring in live frogs and snails and drop them in the living room, where they would disappear under the sofa.

jld
18th January 2010, 01:34 AM
Monty, when alive, would bring in live frogs and snails and drop them in the living room, where they would disappear under the sofa.

Rosewoodsteel
18th January 2010, 05:29 AM
Charlie McFarlie runs to the TV to bark at any animals that are on. He especially likes barking a dogs and horses. (We can only watch Animal Planet when he is fast asleep.) When we walk, he barks at airplanes. At night, he sees them before I do. Sometimes they are so high, they look like twinkling satellites. But, he sees them.
When Charlie does his business, he sometimes circles and circles before he finally goes. (It's comical to watch.)
He also likes to do what we call his "shuck and jive" walk. He just has this "Awe Shucks" look about him as he does a slow wattle.

aquaceri
18th January 2010, 08:46 AM
Stitch loves socks too! especially ones that i have just paired and balled! - He will sleep on anything that isnt his bed even the dirty laundry waiting to go in the machine :)

He also has a habbit of stealing things and hiding them in his bed! Wednesday's our doggy wash day where I take all their bedding to be washed and hoover out their beds and sometimes I am really shocked by what he has hidden there! Anything from bracelets to pens! When I clean it out and he goes back he turns the bed upside down looking for his stash and wondering how the heck I found it lol

aquaceri
18th January 2010, 08:48 AM
He also circles and circles before he does his business! He will only do his number two right in a bush! he sits right into it and its looks very funny! its a nightmare for poopy scooping though :(

mhabca
19th January 2010, 12:24 AM
He also circles and circles before he does his business! He will only do his number two right in a bush! he sits right into it and its looks very funny! its a nightmare for poopy scooping though :(

That sounds like Mika, only hers is snow banks. When the snow is deep, she won't go in it to poop. Instead, she stands on the sidewalk and backs her butt up into the snow bank as far as she can while still keeping her feet on the sidewalk. It looks really funny, but I have to admire her style.

Rosewoodsteel
19th January 2010, 02:19 AM
..... she stands on the sidewalk and backs her butt up into the snow bank as far as she can while still keeping her feet on the sidewalk. It looks really funny, but I have to admire her style.

-Can't say that I blame her!
Charlie likes to pee on some of the snow "sculptures" on the side of the road.
His favorite one has almost melted away.
He knows exactly where it is though. He will still be looking for it when it is gone. :)

ByFloSin
19th January 2010, 12:09 PM
Two of mine are 'interesting' in the snow too:

Winston Alexander digs himself a trench in the snow, inspects it carefully, then backs up to it and makes his deposit. Then he walks away.

Little Joe is funny too - he gently scrapes out a hole in the snow with a front paw then, when he is happy with his work, he cocks his leg and slowly pees ino it.