• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

weight/shape question

sarahso

i have noticed that poppy who is 17 months old has gone a little funny shaped!

she has really filled out in her chest area quite a lot & rapidly, but still has a definate waiste line, she is solid and not chubby, but is looking quite spread sort of thing!

she is very small for a cavalier, in height, and has always been super skinny but she definately looks a bit of a chunk, and has always been so very dainty!

she has at least an hours exercise per day & fed twice a day, & she was neutered about 6 months ago.

is this normal?

It is a little bit difficult to imagine this from the description, but as a general rule spayed bitches do tend to put on weight.
So, if she is 17 months old, you may have a maturing cavalier who needs less food. She has also been spayed. Another reason for feeding slightly less.

Cavaliers weight will alter for many reasons, spaying, maturity, amount of exercise, illness, medication, age, change in diet. Every so often a wise owner will stand back & take a good look at the shape of their dog.
This is something that show owners are good at, as a fat dog does not win prizes in the show ring.
I thought the recent thread on weight loss was good, especially the finger tip pressure test chart. I'm not sure, but I think it may have been Brian who posted that?

Both my Cavaliers have a nice wide chest (to hold that big beautiful heart), I think it is better/healthier to have a sturdy sold frame than a too delicate one. As long as you have a definate waist you should be OK.

thank you for your replies, i will hunt that thread out and take a look!

i have asked friends for an unbiased opinion :D they all think she looks healthy & though filled out is definately not fat, she does have a definate waist line and you can feel her ribs with out any pressure. i think with her being so very skinny before, so much so that it was always commented on by others that now she is at a healthy weight im not used to her!

i think that i will take her along with me on Thors next visit & just double check her weight at the vets though for my own peace of mind!

thank you!

Back