• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding your dog people food

YES, to people food as long as your "people" eat healthy and don't eat processed food. Healthy whole foods are the best for us all. That's just common sense!

Ha! Very true article. Leo is an easy customer--he will perform tricks for frozen green beans. If only I felt the same way!

Thanks for the link.
The last rescue I picked up-- her owners were emphatic that their dog had NEVER gotten people food. Ever--- my next thought was, that changes tonight.

I do feed my dogs people food but mostly as a bit extra or treats. I'm too lazy to make sure their food is nutritionally balanced if I replaced too much of it with "people" food. I will put a bit of meat with their meals and I often use sweet potato to stuff their kongs. I tried the raw veggies when Mindy was on weight loss but neither Max or Mindy process them very well and although the odd one is fine if I try and bulk up their food with green beans they get the runs. Rylie hasn't had too many raw veggies except as treats.

It's funny,but I feed my kids chicken nuggets,burgers etc...but always think twice about what the dogs get.
Daisy was started on a gluten free,dairy free,soya free,red meat free(I know:rolleyes:) diet as suggested by her breeder but Daisy eventually took matters into her own paws and proved by climbing on the table and helping herself to leftovers, that pasta,rice and roast meats are indeed very appealing to the discerning cavalier palate.(veggies are usually discarded from side of mouth though)
You should see Holly dealing with a slice of roast beef....like a little ferret with a rabbit!!
The only thing I'm wary of is chicken though.It never seemed to agree with my parents' many labradors.They either ended up constipated or with a laxative effect,so poultry in moderation.
Nowadays it seems a shame to dump good quality meat when there are two appreciative little mouths to feed.They have their little nightime ritual of a piece of meat at lightsout and that helps to settle them.
Sins

YES, to people food as long as your "people" eat healthy and don't eat processed food. Healthy whole foods are the best for us all. That's just common sense!

Couldn't agree more:) My two always get a little bit of what we have for dinner included with their kibble (currently JWB fish): red meat, fish rice or pasta, and cooked veg. I give them rice cakes too (low salt ones), they love them, and homemade stews and soups.

Last edited:
Fantastic article!

I also feel my dog certain "human" foods. And funny, as a previous poster stated, I am more concerned with how wholesome and nutritious my dog's food and treats are than my kids. That's shameful, but true! My kids will eat sweets and fried foods and I don't think a lot about it, but if one of the dogs is going to get a supplement from me, whether it's from my plate or straight from the refrigerator, I put a lot of thought into what is healthy for them, etc.

And I've given up trying to explain myself to other so-called "dog people" who want to scold me for giving my dogs "people food." I've tried countless times to explain to them that it's healthy, to eat kibble day in and day out is boring and I would venture to say close to being downright cruel (not literally, but poor doggies!!), and that the very best, high quality dog foods, are comprised of things that we humans would eat!

If you won't put it in your mouth, you shouldn't put it in your dog's mouth!
~Dawn

I also am a massive fan of adding human foods to kibble; red meats, chicken, sardines, veggies etc and once a week they have cheese omelette, usually with a bit of boiled rice on the side. I wouldn't settle for anything less, couldn't give kibble on it's own day in day out, how boring and monotonous would that be!

Yes, I do omelette's for my pooches whenever I have a Cesar salad I use the egg whites. They love it!

Oooh must try making a cheese omelette, sounds yummy. Scrambled eggs too are a firm favourite in our house:D.

Hi

This thread got me thinking about the human food I feed ,details as below

Rice Cakes ( Holland and Barrett no salt )
Shredded Wheat squares
Green Beans
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Dried Carrot from Burns as treats
Cheese very rarely too fattening
White Fish boneless boiled from Sainsbury
Turkey Breast no skin from Sainsbury just a bit as a taster
Fis4Dogs dried compressed fish skins as a treat
Fish4Dogs kibble added to improve flavour of RC/Burns kibble
Dried Sprats from Zooplus as a treat occasionally
Whiting/Pollock/Anchovies as above
Apples peeled and sliced with Tangerine occasionally

But as I am watching all their weights all the time I feed nothing from any meals we have ,so in reality the four of them are probaly far better fed than me as for instance thier teas comprise of NINE different items and all are carefully weighed or measured out .Apart from all going to the groomers on Saturday afternoon and after they had all had their teeth cleaned which as mentioned before is SEVEN different processes per Cavalier they were then carefully weighed had their ears cleaned had a worming tablet and then Frontline splash on ,but I am happy to say our Pops waist line is now quite distinct even though its their first weigh in after Xmas and she is now 11.10 Kilo with Daisy and Rosie remaining constant and Lily up to 6.60 Kilo .
Hurray

Daisy usually gets a small bit of something from our dinner table, either vegetables or meat if it is not fried. She loves anything from our table. The one thing I do not give her (besides the obvious no-nos) is chicken. She is very sensitive to it and she will get diarrhea very quickly if she gets it. I do give her turkey, however, and that seems to be OK. I also never give her pork just because I think it's too fatty.

Some of her favorites are steak, grilled salmon, broccoli, green beans, carrots, and hamburger.

I don't give her a very signiticant quantity of anything off the table, though, as she needs to lose a few pounds. Just enough for a taste, which makes her very happy. (Although, of course, more would make her even happier -- she's quite a glutton.)

Back