PDA

View Full Version : Getting my puppie to walk on a lead

rebajayne
19th January 2010, 08:12 PM
I have had my puppy for 4 weeks now and i have tried to get her to walk on the lead but she is not having none of it.
I keep putting her lead on her in the house to get her used to it and have picked the lead up and followed her around the house. My next step was to hold treats to her nose and encourage her to follow them she does do this but it takes a good 5-10 minutes to get her up the drive on to the path.
Does anyone else have anymore tips for me as im desperate to get out walking with her before the snow comes again!!
Thanks

Soushiruiuma
20th January 2010, 04:29 PM
If you have a friend or neighbor's dog (friendly and walks well on a leash) who you could walk with, a puppy will often just tag along.

Otherwise, you say you are using treats, but once she starts moving PRAISE immediately, one step is good, and keep it going until she stops. Give tiny treats so she doesn't have to stop to eat it. You should able to transition from treats + praise to just praise.

Marjorie
20th January 2010, 05:05 PM
Soushiruiuma gave you some good advice, I'll just say don't stop and face your pup always keep your body going and facing where you want to go...forward. One step and treat is a good place to start and walking with another dog as previously mentioned.

Good Luck!

gocamping
20th January 2010, 05:34 PM
You don't say how old the puppy is. I am guessing around 14 weeks. If so, those legs are only so long. lol

Good advice on the treating. I sometimes like to use cheese so I can have the treat right there for them to chew. Keep the body walking forward, and make sure you bend to give that treat. You don't want them getting into the habit of jumping to get one.