View Full Version : Charlie screamed for the first time today

Karen and Ruby
26th January 2010, 09:40 PM
I have feared for a little while that Charlie too is affected by SM. His symptoms are very alike to what Ruby experiences/d so hae already booked an appointment to see Clare on 9th Feb

However it was the firstime today that he really did scream. It was 8.30am and he woke me up with it. Lasting for around 30 secs or so- he looked in shock and confused. I just cuddled him whilst Ruby looked on.

It just confirmed my fears really, I gave him some Metacam with his breakfast and he has been fine all day- I havent been out apart from for their walk.

Is there anything I can do for him while we wait to see Clare?

26th January 2010, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear that Karen,
I really don't know what to say.February 9 th isn't all that far away and you're doing the right thing getting expert help.
Try not to fear the worst,until Clare sees him and assesses him just continue as normal and let him be himself....

Margaret C
26th January 2010, 11:13 PM

I am so sorry, this is the last thing you should be coping with at the moment.

I am sure there is medication that your vet can prescrbe while you wait to see Clare, frusemide or even gabapentin if necessary, but it really should only be done with your vets co-operation

I believe there is a fax referral service shown on her website, perhaps he could contact her for advice?

27th January 2010, 03:42 AM
Would you like me to come with you when you go to see Clare? I'll need to find a dog sitter for Dylan for the day but that can be arranged.

27th January 2010, 12:51 PM
Or I can have Ruby for the day. :hug:

27th January 2010, 02:18 PM
Hi Karen,

If you look under SM, Karlin has written posted a reply "Tips for living with and SM Dog", which will help you make
Charlie feel more comfortable. I am still available to meet you at Clares .

27th January 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Karen,

I just wanted to say Im really sorry you now have this to contend with as well as everything else thats going on in your life.


Claire L
27th January 2010, 08:19 PM
Hope Charlie is doing better today :hug:

Karen and Ruby
27th January 2010, 08:35 PM
Thankyou all for your replys-
We went to see the Vet today- we have been given some extra Metacam to see us through. I noticed a little tiny lump on his top lip on Sunday so asked he to have a look at that aswell.
Turned out to be an absess that needed draining a little- we have been given antibiotics for that aswell-
Steph (our vet) thought maybe the lump was the cause of his little outburst and I wouldnt have disagreed if it hadnt been for the other symptoms aswell. Im just pretty sure he has it but we will find out soon wither way.
Im just glad that I have experience as it means getting him diagnosed far far earlier than ruby and we may stand half a chance of slowing it down- depending on how big it is already of course.
I know you will all be thinking Just wait and see first-- BUT if I think the worst then it wont come as a shock and Im 99% sure anyway!!!

Their dad came along aswell which was nice for a little support!

Thanks Tania that would be lovely- our Appointment is at 10am. I think I msg you my phone number so give me a bell anytime!

Pauline I was going to take Ruby with me if her dad cant have her for the day- My mum will still be hospital at this point so she wont be able to look after Ruby.

Thankyou all again for your wonderful words of support xxx