• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Baby Gracie attacked by an owl

brownietrout

last night when I took Gracie (4month old tri) out to pee a great horned owl dropped out of the tree above her and pinned her to the ground screaming. I ran screaming and kicked the owl off of her. She has 3 punctures from its talons and a sore swollen eye. I took her right to the vet and she is on antibiotics and medicine for her eye. She will be ok physically but she was very traumatized and is fearful of going out.
I will take her out often today and give her treats while we are out there and am acting as if it was no big deal and not justifying her fear to the best of my abilities. I don't want her traumatized for life by it.
Please keep her in your good thoughts and prayers as we work through this.

Thankfully you were there to supervise and rescue her. That must have been so traumatic for you both.
Is the vet confident her eye will be ok? Puppies are naturally adventurous so hopefully in time once her physical injuries heal,she'll get back her zest for life.Sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing to ease her back to normality.
Sins

I send you all my prayers and thoughts for poor little Gracie. What a horrific experience for you all. Keep us posted to tell us how Gracie is. :hug:

Poot little Gracie, it must have been very frightening. We are sending hugs and good thoughts, hope she will be ok.

Gracie is doing better this afternoon and went outside without showing too much fear.Although her eye is still swollen it is looking better this afternoon than it did this morning. The vet said the globe of the eye was not injured but the trauma was in the surrounding tissue. Her vision is good so I think it should be fine.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers
Laurie

How scary for both of you. I am so glad you were there to intervene. Keeping you both in my thoughts that she gets over her fear of going outdoors & that her eye heals well.

Thank Heavens you were there to rescue little Gracie. Hope her eye continues to improve.
Sending hugs and prayers your way.

OMG how very scary! Thank goodness you were able to get the owl away from little Gracie. We have some pretty big hawks that fly around here, and I've always wondered if they would dare come down and try to attack the dogs. Yikes!

Oh my gosh...how scary for both of you. Thank goodness you were out there with her, this could have had a much sadder ending. So glad she's going to be okay. Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Poor Gracie and poor you! Sending you both lots of warm hugs and kisses to Gracie from Spangle.

That must have been so scary! Hoping Gracie is getting back to her old self. Hang in there!

THat must have been very tramatic for you both. My friend lost her cat that way. Please take good care for the poor little dear, I'd keep her on a leash and be right with her.

Wow, that sounds terrifying! It's a good thing you were watching her and were able to react so quickly! I'm so glad she is okay :)

Oh my goodness...
That must have been so scary for you both. Wishing you both a quick recovery

I meant to add that I thought I saw a badger in our back garden the other morning. Millie was with me, and wasn't too bothered. I'm just wondering whether anyone had experience of badgers attacking puppies?

Nick

My goodness, this is not the sort of thing I would ever imagine happening. I hope little Gracie soon regains her confidence.

Back