• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

MRI scanning available in Cork

It's probably the same mobile scanner that is used by the Vet practice across the road from where I live. I phoned them the year before last to enquire about having a pet MRI scanned. I asked which Neurologist was in attending to read the scan and they said "the vet reads them!" YIKES!!!!

Still cheaper to come to Chestergates ?

The device can accommodate various sized animals as large as a cheetah. The hour-long procedure costs up to €1,000.

Very much cheaper to go to Chestergates....but will hopefully be of use to pet owners with seriously ill pets.

Sins

Last edited:
I suppose cost is relative: you need to travel and most will want to stay overnight given the times for ferries, plus depends on how you value your time. For some, a full day or two to do MRIs would be very costly in time (and lost income) compared to an hour at a local facility, no travel, no hotel. Also Chestergates' low cost scans are very minimal and really only for breeding information -- so for someone with an affected dog considering treatment options, you'd be looking at a much higher cost including at Chestergates, as their normal prices kick in, and you also end up without a consultant nearby.

A trained vet would be pretty good at reading an MRI for many obvious problems but I'd want a neurologist or radiologist familiar with SM for less obvious cases. Even neurologists can have different opinions on the same MRI but syrinxes are generally pretty easy to see. If the dog was affected most people would likely be referred to UCD?

It is good to know this service is up and running.

I thought so at the time,but it was insensitive of me to post it and disrespectful to the members who have had cavaliers fall victim to animal attacks.
Sadly I didn't withdraw it quickly enough and have apologised sincerely for causing needless distress.
Sins

Back