• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I know I have never been good at maths, but........

Margaret C

I always thought 3 and 2 made 5, but it appears not with Cavalier Club committee vacancies

There were three vacancies left unfilled last year, when I was the only nominee but was pressured into withdrawing my nomination
Someone was co-opted to one of these positions but is not standing for election this year.

Therefore there should be three vacancies carried over from last year, plus two created by members retiring or re-standing this year.

This year's election notice said there were "two vacancies for two-year terms" plus the two created this year.
How can that be unless the committee are retaining one vacancy for their own use? Scarcely democratic if there are enough nominated candidates to fill all the places?

I have written to the Cavalier Club asking for an explanation, and today received a reply that said "The Kennel Club has been consulted for confirmation that the election procedure is correct and members will shortly be informed of the outcome"

So what does that mean? What does that tell me?

I have tried to settle this important query privately, but it seems that I am being stonewalled.
My concern is that the voting papers will go out to members with this issue unresolved.

Last edited:
Margaret,

if there are 5 vacancies and five names are put forward. Is there then a Vote or does each 'name' get elected without issue ?

Perhaps they want there to be more 'names' than positions to force a Vote when one person does not get in ?

Is that how it would be ?

Mark Marshall.

Are they allowed to co-opt without the person being coopted having to be confirmed at the AGM? And if it does need to come to the AGM, cooption may be a confirmation by the meeting rather than a formal election. Just a thought.

Don't think I'll be able to get to the AGM - I particularly wanted to be there as the appointment of a new Chairman is SO important - but Kegworth is just impoossible to get to by public transport on a Sunday (especially as I'm doing obedience at UK Toydog in Stafford the day before - not to mention it's Palm Sunday at church). I think we need 2 weekends a week - mine just gets so crowded!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Margaret,

if there are 5 vacancies and five names are put forward. Is there then a Vote or does each 'name' get elected without issue ?

Perhaps they want there to be more 'names' than positions to force a Vote when one person does not get in ?

Is that how it would be ?

Mark Marshall.

There is only a vote if there are more nominees than vacancies.

Are they allowed to co-opt without the person being coopted having to be confirmed at the AGM?

That is what I was querying.
The Club rules are vague and loosely worded, so do not really help at all.

If the the committee are intending to keep their co-optee in the vacancy, and as they have confirmed to me she is not standing at this AGM, it seems wrong, especially as the vacancy co-opted is for three years and there were shorter vacancies available.

And if it does need to come to the AGM, cooption may be a confirmation by the meeting rather than a formal election. Just a thought.
There has been members co-opted before. They were always told they must stand against other candidates at the next AGM to confirm their place.

I do think that my questions are reasonable, and deserved a more detailed response than the answer I was given.

It appears that the Cavalier Club consulted the Kennel Club and they have been told that the election rules have been misinterpreted.

There are now 7 vacancies, nominations will need to be resubmitted, and the AGM date has been changed.

I originally wrote to the Cavalier Club because after the 2009 AGM there were three committee vacancies and the 2010 AGM notice showed only two.

I understand that some people " in the know" are accusing me of getting the Kennel Club involved, but if they read the Chairman's message they will see she confirms that the Cavalier Club contacted the KC.

My question had been about the co-opted vacancy, the fact that two other
committee members should be standing down was something that obviously came to light when the KC checked the rules.

The gossip around the ringside is that now the co-opted vacancy cannot be used to facilitate a desired committee 'swop', someone closely associated to the committee will now be sponsored as a nominee.

It appears that the Cavalier Club consulted the Kennel Club and they have been told that the election rules have been misinterpreted.

There are now 7 vacancies, nominations will need to be resubmitted, and the AGM date has been changed.

It appears that some people would have me locked in the Tower for breaking the Official Secrets Act.

Why? Well......... I would describe it as 'knickers in a twist' time again.

I posted the information above, one whole day before the same details reached some Cavalier Club members.
This information was not confidential ( at least, nowhere on the letter I received did it say so ) and the information was already being widely circulated by email.

These same critics have not commented on what I would have thought were much more important issues.

1. The attempt to hold back one of the three year vacancies for committee use ( even though the co-opted member was poised to take over as Club Secretary )

2. The fact that the four vacancies shown as being available on the original AGM notice have been transformed into seven, possibly eight places vacant.

I know I have never been good at Maths,but....

Margaret,

I am a CKCS Club Member, just received my Letter, am a wee bit confused, are there 7 Vacances for the Committee.

I just can't understand why some are making such a Song and Dance about this.

We Vote, the Committee Places are filled, and that's it.

Bet(Hargreaves)

Hello Bet,

It is very simple.

The Cavalier Club said there were 4 vacancies, I queried whether that was the right number. They asked the Kennel Club, who told them there should be 7.

Back