• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Some things you can do and some problems

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason the new thread button and writing has gone completely white! Trying to change that back; also, the background to posts has gone white which I realise is hard on the eye after a while so will be fixing that. I have no idea why it changed as I didn't actually change them.

On some new features -- if you don't like having the sidebars that how latest threads and posts, you can click th tab sticking out on the top right and they are then hidden.

Try hovering over the new icons you see around the site and you will discover many new things you can do. You can now easily subsribe to threads for example. Also, don't forget you can set up your own groups, and easily check new group messages in the navigation bar; this is nice for nationalities/regions for example, to organise meetups, or maybe people interested in a particular topic like agility, raw feeding, kongs, puppies, whatever.

The blogs section is revamped and new blog posts will be highlighted in a sidebar. Don;t forget everyone can set up a blog and again, it might interest someone with a sepcial interest to have new placed into the blogs on that issue... another way of organising your ideas.

There are new things to do with your personal profiles.

Soon, there will be the ability to write some articles for the 'home' section of the site, which is not yet ready to launch. I think I will set aside a section where people can sub,it their articles or promote a good blog or forum post to an article.

I absolutely hate the ugly icons indicating folders and locked threads etc and as soon as some of the designers begin offering sets of different icons, I will be changing those! I am hoping our old ones mght get an update as I liked that set.

Don't forget you can now embed videos rather than using links.

A small issue, excuse the pun! When I reply to a thread, until I actually send my post, my text is miniscule. Maybe because I am using a Mac? I know I can sit halfway across the room when I use my pc and see it.

Also, I don't see the time and date beside posts, only the time if they are edited. It's quite useful to have that sometimes.

Lastly, when I send a reply, after posting, it would automatically take you to the last post, now it takes you to the first.

Not sure if these things can be fixed? Hope you don't feel like I'm complaining. I'm never one to moan!!!!! ;)

As noted, the white background isn;t supposed to be there -- will be adjusted. It is why the forum looks too bright, and why you cannot see dates.

No idea about typefaces but it is smaller. I can enlarge but will take a while for me to get to that.

No idea why you go to first post -- there are still some bugs in the new version as always with a new release; we are due another update in the next two weeks or so and each time many small things like this get addressed.

Hello Karlin,

I like the sidebars and I am getting more accustomed to the new look and have put away the smelling salts.
I will play with all the new doo-dahs over the next few days, as long as nothing jumps out and bites me.

Thank you for the time and considerable amount of money you must be spending for our benefit.

Thanks Karlin ,for all your Hard Work, I will master this new way ,even it kills me!!

Bet(Hargreaves)

I really like the turquoise and grey colour at the top of the posts, don't think it is too bright.

That's what I was working on all today to make the board easier on the eyes. It had reverted to all bright white but I have toned it down. I realised what I did -- left off the # symbol when entering colour codes so you'd get no colour at all, eg white.

Most of the basic issues are now resolved I think.

I forgot to mention that the old addressed for the board will bring people directly here. If they couldn't get here yesterday or today, it is because the servers haven't picked up the changes yet and so they are still going to the old site without getting the auto-forward. That should be resolved by today or tomorrow for everyone.

I also think people will really like the sidebars -- it is fun to see what the latest threads and posts are, I think. I like how people's avatars come up too.

When I get the chance -- probably over the weekend -- I will try to gather together some highlights of changes and new things you can do. Don't forget to tag your posts with keywords, or feel free to add them in to existing posts -- this helps build up the searchability of the site and helps develop a lively 'tag cloud' for what we are all talking about.

I also think people will really like the sidebars -- it is fun to see what the latest threads and posts are, I think. I like how people's avatars come up too.

When I get the chance -- probably over the weekend -- I will try to gather together some highlights of changes and new things you can do. Don't forget to tag your posts with keywords, or feel free to add them in to existing posts -- this helps build up the searchability of the site and helps develop a lively 'tag cloud' for what we are all talking about.
'tag cloud' .......I'm going to have to lie down again

'tag cloud' .......I'm going to have to lie down again

Ha ha, me too ! I just asked son for an explanation of a 'tag cloud' - quote" Well you know, its the tag like I've got on My Space. A place where you can write tags and tag people" Erm well, so far its about as clear as mud. Margaret pass the smelling salts please. I can see Im going to go to bed puzzled (again).

I know what your tag cloud means Karlin, even though I think you just made that up!

The small type gives me the same sensation I get when I wear 3D glasses for a film! :cool:

I am enjoying the new forum, I also like the avatars showing with the new threads/posts on the scrollbar.

:lol: Tags are the keywords (subject words) you can include in the 'tags' area at the end of any post. A tag cloud is a box full of the most frequent tags -- the more it is used, the larger it is. I will add the tag cloud sidebar and you can see. As most people have tagged health issues things like SM are very large -- I'd like to get a broader range of things tagged. It also comes up as a search option (there's a tag cloud option to pick from in search) and tagging helps other people find what they want when they search as it goes into the search system.

Karlin when I click on the "go to first new post" icon it brings me to the first post of the thread...when I've already read them???

Ok I clicked on 'go to last post' icon in the thread & it took me to the last post.

I am slowly getting things changed to help readability and get our forum to have more the look and feel from before -- I did increase the forum font slightly but haven't found yet what controls the text in the reply box, which I agree is way too small. Also there is one bar that still has white type appearing on white (the one that lets you reorder the posts in a forum) -- I cannot find the right controls for what that is either! But little things are coming back into their correct place.

Over the weekend I hope to get the blogs sorted for colours etc, an also should post up a but more about new things to try. If I am ambitious I my also get the rest of the site opened. At the moment my eyes are pretty tired from looking at computer screens... :shock:

I have found a few bugs myself -- sometimes when replying to a PM, the recipient's name disappears for example. I know there have also been a few issues with the latest IE browser.

An update to the software with further small fixes and improvements is out next week so things should settle a bit more after that, too.

Yay!! :pi*no: I fixed the bar that was all-white -- so now you can see who started threads etc and reorder posts -- also this fix then resolved some other display issues, like highlighting stickies properly, and also giving us back column dividers between the post title, who posted, and replies info. This issue has been driving me crazy for a couple of days... now for the reply text font size...

Back