• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gracie is great during the day, but afraid at night

brownietrout

It turns out Gracie is now afraid to go out to poop at night. I can't blame her since that is what she was doing when attacked by the owl.
I am trying to make going out a happy thing but tonight she held it until she couldn't any longer and the moment I turned my back she pooped in the house for the first time since I got her. I have since taken her out and scattered treats around for her to eat, I hope that helps.
It is cold and snowy here so I can't make her stand out there for hours until she is forced to go.
Any suggestions on how to get her over her fear are greatly appreciated.

Don't worry too much at this stage.She's still a baby and having accidents for whatever reason are still part and parcel of cavalier life.
My puppy is 16 weeks and still very unreliable,she'll get spooked in the dark if there's a football in the garden and she doesn't like the flag on top of the garden shed in the dark either.She'll gallop in if she's unhappy whether she's pottied or not.You could try getting the solar powered lights that you stick down into the ground and create a little area that you can let her into which is adequately lit. I know you're still very anxious about her,just give yourself a bit of time and she'll be able to hold on through most of the night before you know it.
Sins

I don't blame her! I'd be scared too. Maybe if you really light up the yard with extra lights and give her lots of encouragement. Be patient, it was a pretty traumatic attack.

she holds it during the night no problem,she has for a couple weeks now it's the evenings that are the problem as gets dark here at about 5 pm. I will try to figure out more light to see if that helps

Taking her out on a lead, walking her about until she goes (the walking will help loosen her bowels) and then treating her WHEN she goes with a high value treat like cheese or a bit of hot dog is the approach I'd take. :) I'd bring her out and scatter a few treats a few times each evening (be sure to subtract treats from her overall food though) -- just to get her comfortable with going outside and not only when she is supposed to relieve herself.

Most puppies are not at all reliable until after 6 months old (not really fully housetrained til closer to one -- they almost always have the occasional accident, just like potty-training kids)) so you'd expect to see some indoor mistakes anyway.

Back