• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hormonal hair loss????

davey

Hi, need a quick bit of advice....am finally ready to bite the bullet after Happy Harry has left me (almost 11 months ago) and am looking seriously for a new puppy! Just spoke with really lovely lady who was very honest re puppies parents, basically, the mom has a hormonal hair loss problem???? Any suggestions/advice?? Should I steer clear of puppies?? Naturally they are adorable (find me a ck puppy that isnt), so I just want to be sure) All advice/opinions appreciated. Thanks a mill.

Hi Davey

I'm not sure whether you should stay clear or not, I'm sure someone else might be able to advise you.
I know when my Toby was born his mum lost all her fur, I think I remember someone saying it may have been down to stress but I am not really sure. Toby didn't really have any issues with his coat and he did lose his fur (other than the normal shedding).

thanks a mill....hopt this works out.....soooo excited...but willin to accept if it doesnt!! thanks again :)

Most cavalier bitches will drop most of their fur after whelping a litter of puppies. They also drop their coat after they have been on heat. This will be due to the change in hormones in their body and is nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure whether your breeder is describing this usual occurrence, or is she saaying that the mother has a more severe on-going hormone problem? If that is so it may be more than just the coat is affected and I would want to know a little more before buying one of her puppies.

When you talked about health I hope you were told what health checks were carried out for the parents.
Don't forget to see the certificates.

As per Margaret's advice -- you need to see *cardiologist* (not vet!) heart certs and ideally want parents to have been MRId. Parents must be at least 2.5 years old. Ireland is full of crap casual breeders so please be very very careful. IKC registration is NOT proof of quality -- either in appearance or health.

thanks a million again, I'm heading up to check the 'health certs', she did not go into detail re the hair loss except to say that it was hormonal, so i will be checkin that again,thanks a mill :)

Back