• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CKCS Registration Figures

Bet

It has just been reported in this week's Dog World,that there has been a Steep Numerical Decline in the Cavalier Registration Figures

8,884 from 11,226.

Should this now be bringing it home to some Cavalier Club Breeders, how important it is for them to be paying attention to the Breeding Guidelines from the Researches, so that the Cavalier Buying Public, will again regain confidence in buying a Cavalier.

Bet(Hargreaves)

I wouldn't read too much into the statistics Bet.
There's a comparable drop in Boxer registrations and even English springers and retrievers have declined by 15 - 16 %.
While many health conscious cavalier breeders are more cautious about breeding,I think it's fair to say that all breeders across the board, regardless of breed ,are thinking about planning fewer litters as we face some of the most economically challenging times since the early 1980s.
Like everything else it may simply be a case of supply vs demand.
A significant proportion of the 2,342 reduction would be from puppy farmers and BYBs so that's really no great loss to the breed in the overall scheme of things.Quality is preferable to quantity any time.
Sins

I'd like to see figures across all breeds. I know anecdotally that breeders in the UK and US were seeing steep decline in interest in puppies, and having problems selling them, well before PDE aired. That decline coincided with the increasing worries about the economy and growing job losses and a fall i consumer confidence from around late 2007 onwards so I would guess many pet-oriented registered breeders in particular just stopped breeding litters of puppies they cannot sell. This issue was mentioned on the L-list, which is primarily breeders, in the S several times well over a year ago and I know was being discussed quietly by UK breeder as well.

Don;t forget a puppy is a luxury purchase for many especially in the North American market where a cavalier is going to cost $1000 -2500 on average, but also in the UK where a show breeder price hovers around 600-800 pounds. Most on a typical salary would find that difficult to justify right now when worried about job security etc.

There's definitely impact of PDE and larger health concerns as well. And there are breeders responsibly deciding to wait and see how research progresses, or waiting for the greater reassurance of the EBV programme, or just deciding this is a costly breed at present for a breeder (which is also true). Some buyers will stupidly go to puppy farmers and BYBs as well, but then MOST buyers always have and show breeders could never possibly meet the demand for puppies if they alone were breeding. It is one of the conundrums of breeding purebreds for many breeds.

If some of the Bateson guidelines are brought in, I would expect the number of registered dogs to drop further (and recall that as the CKCS Club itself notes, only about 0% of registered cavaliers come from club breeders so a vast number are from puppy farms and other questionable mass breeding operations already. I'd be interested in the drop in registrations from club breeders alone as part of that statistical snapshot).

Incidentally irish puppy farm regulations are likely to be signed into law in the next 23 weeks and there's a 3 month compliance window so I'd expect a huge drop in Irish exported puppy farm dogs and IKC registrations as well, but start of summer.

One of the worst things that ever happened to Cavaliers was Alansmere Aquarius going BIS at Crufts in the 1970s - registrations from then on just exploded and puppy farmers and BYBs jumped on the lucrative bandwagon. Let's hope economics and laws will really begin to slow down demand and registrations and put the exploiters off the breed.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Yes I think there's always that dread amongst good breeders when their breed wins the top prize at high profile shows like Crufts or Westminster because the puppy farmers jump in to fill demand. :(

For what it's worth another factor in North America that you really can't underestimate is the power of the "Oprah factor" and her push to not buy purebreds, unless they come from a rescue. It is highly fashionable to have a rescue dog vs. one from a breeder these days. With the population in the states you can get just about any breed in a rescue.

I agree, the cost of pets, especially the cost veterinary medicine these days and the economy are big factor affecting pet ownership.

Last edited:
Excluding the purchase price of a second cavalier,my costs of keeping and maintaining the two girls was approx €1100 over the last six weeks. I had some medical bills in there, mri scan,spay,microchip,vaccinations,ear infections and puppy checks,not to mention food,ownership transfers,professional grooming and a few puppy toys, extra crate and new bedding,brushes, second pet insurance policy and dog licence.
Responsible dog ownership is not cheap and no breeder will want to produce pups in case they cannot be sold...
I've even had comments from two neighbours who wanted to know how I can justify doing this when people are struggling to repay mortgages.Modest living is the new opulence I think.
Sins

I have no doub that here is the U.S. our economic situation has had a huge impact on the decline in Cavalier sales. Several reputable breeders who have had waiting lists for years now have problems homing their puppies. I paid $1800 for each of mine 6 and 7 years ago....the going rate, last I heard, was up to $2500. I have heard that some local breeders have reduced their prices because of the decrease in demand. I, personally, would have a very difficult time being able to pay even $1800 in this day and age giving the economic situation. We just don't have the same kind of spending money we had even 4 years ago. :(

Back