• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried about dental

MishathePooh

Misha is 13 and going in for a dental tomorrow. We have them done yearly, and every year I panic beforehand. He is 13, cardiologist gave him a go for the procedure. Anyone else have procedure anxiety? He really is a healthy, happy dog - but there's always that tiny risk.

Misha is 13 and going in for a dental tomorrow. We have them done yearly, and every year I panic beforehand. He is 13, cardiologist gave him a go for the procedure. Anyone else have procedure anxiety? He really is a healthy, happy dog - but there's always that tiny risk.

I don't seem to have the option to reply without quotes. I hope all went well for you.

I always have anxiety when Mindy needs to be put under (I did for Max when he was neutered to a lesser extent). I think it's natural. An oral surgeon (for humans) drilled into me the risk of general anaesthetic and how it should never been taken lightly as he was trying (successfully) to convince me to choose oral sedation for my wisdom teeth extraction.

I always weigh the risks and benefits and then ask the vets office what is the soonest I can call to check up (they know I'm a worrywart so they don't even bother telling me to wait for their call).

I'm sure all will go well. Mindy has never had a problem.

Always!! But the statistics are really in our favor. It is very unusual for there to be complications even with older dogs as long as the right procedures and anesthetics are used. Shelby has a grade 4 murmur, my vet is aware of it, but I always mention it in advance when I'm scheduling anything. Both of mine will go in for dentals in February. Will I be nervous?? Without a doubt, I'll be thinking about them until I get that phone call that says everything went smooth and I can come get them. My vet knows how I am, so she always calls as soon as they are all good.

I know how you feel I have plucked up the courage and booked Ben in for a dental next Friday, he is in good health but I am worrying just the same.

Misha came through with flying colors! Unfortunately, he was out for 4 hours and had 3 teeth and 2 roots extracted. He's looped up on tramadol and on rimadyl as well. I know the dangers of rimadyl and will keep an eye out. Poor little guy is sleeping it off now. I really hope for a speedy recovery.

Back