• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers and Collies- do they mix?

Desrae

Ok folks, some of you may have read about this collie I found in the pub section of cavalier talk. I've had her for nearly a week and she has settled into our house quite comfortably. She adores our little girl, who is seven and walks really well on a lead- with a bit of pulling sometimes when sniffs out an interesting smell. She's obedient, quiet and affectionate. Anyway, I'm worried about her interaction with our two cavvies. Belle, who is nearly 2 and Bob who is about 5 months old play fight a lot and the collie is intrigued by it, tries to come over and join in and Belle just mosies behind a door and Bob runs off and sits next to one of us humans. They afraid, no doubt. She's very sniffy with them and is really tolerant of Bob's puppy curiosity and kisses. Yet, the last day or two she seems to be stalking them and has tried to nip at the top of Bob's neck. I think she may have gotten him when they were outside for a toilet break. I have been very watchful, but I shut the door this one time and suddenly Bob was whining and banging at the door to get in, he seemed to be very frightened and the collie seemed to be clueless. His back was wet even though it wasn't raining, the ground was wet, did she pin or nip him? I don't know. I have been educating myself about collie personality, temperment, etc. today and maybe she's trying to herd them? She tries to nip at Bob when he starts zipping around the room (like all pups do). The collie stands over Bob a lot too. Belle basically is living behind the door or under the table (sleeping, what she does best) and has withdrawn, she skirts the edge of the room when walking past the collie. Belle usually withdraws and becomes extremely aloof when she is afraid. Bob is beginning to bark and retreat to his crate more than ever imaginable, since he has not really ever taken to his crate, he loves his roaming freedom.
What do you think about the situation? Should I just be more vigilant? I have some busy days even though I'm a stay at home Mom I have some bits of work from home, minding my child, housework (vacuuming all the fluff and hair-- you know!) and I just cannot watch them every second of the day. So there have been some times when I need to go and do things I just separate all in different places. I've put both Bob and Belle in the crate together and they just go to sleep, the collie sleeps a lot in the middle of the kitchen. There's less activity for my cavvies and I am afraid they are going to get really bored. I have removed all toys since the collie seemed very obcessed with the chewbones. Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into? I don't think I can handle three dogs!! I so want to help her though.
Any advice is welcome. Thanks so much!:D

Dylan used to hide under tables when he was with other dogs at first, sometimes for days on end. I personally wouldn't rule out the chance that they could get on in the end.

Border collies love to herd and contain, and what breed loves to run free, chase and be unobstructed...Cavaliers!

You are a kind and patient soul for opening your heart and home to this poor dog, I know it can't be easy for you. Border Colliies are pretty popular, do you have a breed rescue nearby for them? I can understand you not wanting to put your dogs at risk. I would try and limit/eliminate the amount of time they are together unsupervised.

Yep,she's herding them.It's not vicious behaviour but they will nip hocks and flanks to move their "herd".
perhaps it's time to find her a permanent home,even if it's not her old one?
I think let the rescues that you have contacted know that you cannot keep her any more.
If they can't do anything then maybe try and see if anyone local wants a lively pet.
Sins

Oliver and I do competition obedience and meet a lot of collies. As a breed they can be really obsessive and if your rescue has a strong herding instinct she will need to be trained and worked in order to occupy her brain - and she could make your Cavaliers lives pretty miserable, they are just such different breeds and a collie who needs to work really doesn't make an easy ordinary pet (which is why so many of them end up in rescue)! I looked after a friend's collie for the day a couple of years ago and Oliver spent the entire day being herded under the dining table and not allowed to move! However, she could be a gift for someone doing obedience, agility, flyball or similar, who could occupy her brain and channel her energy. It might be worth contacting your local training club (if you have one) who if they don't have a working section themselves might be able to put you in touch with border collie people. I belong to an obedience forum in the UK and they are brilliant at finding working homes for supercharged collies!

Collies are often obsessive about balls - you might divert her attention from the Cavaliers and occupy her by encouraging her to chase a ball instead of a Cavalier!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

My trainer has four borde collies. I know herding is an issue and she talks about her one that tries to herd the rest. She doesn't allow it but she is a VERY good trainer IMO and her dogs are very well behaved. I know she works hard at it. Her herding dog is usually required to go to a certain spot when she decides to herd the others but it would take a lot of supervision to ensure that an untrained dog stays there.

Yep,she's herding them.It's not vicious behaviour but they will nip hocks and flanks to move their "herd".
perhaps it's time to find her a permanent home,even if it's not her old one?
I think let the rescues that you have contacted know that you cannot keep her any more.
If they can't do anything then maybe try and see if anyone local wants a lively pet.
Sins

As always, the voice of reason!
I guess I've held out for hope long enough. She a great dog, not too lively but enjoys vigorous play (especially FETCH! WOOO!) and a good walk. Someone looking for a rescue would be crazy to overlook a doggy like her. She does not have a strong herding instinct, but it's there and has come out a few times and my dogs are not liking it. I am waiting to hear from a woman today from a Rescue so we'll see what we can do. I'll be so sad to see her go, but it will be a relief because it's been a bit stressful. Thanks again all of ye for your comments, much appreciated!

You have done everything possible for this dog and you are right to be concerned about your little ones.

It will be sad to let her go but in a few days you will be back to your normal relaxed self with your two little ones.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=674635&id=1616347781

If you have a Facebook account please check out her picture in my photo album, the URL is above. I think it's open to everyone so you can view it if interested. I am still unsure about how to post pictures here and I don't yet have a Flickr account, so this is as good as anything. Cookie (as we have called her for the last coupla days) will be going to a rescue later today:cry*ing:

Oh gosh, she's a beautiful girl, Desrae. Is she going to the collie rescue? They will place her into a good home. You've done really well by her. Collies are a high-maintenance dog much of the time because they are hardwired to go go go and they need something to do, especially if they come from working lines (as she seems to, giving her desire to herd). As noted they often end up in rescue or just pts in pounds because families get the cute puppies and have no idea how much energy they typically need from the owner, or that a bored collie will often herd/nip at the heels of small children, other pets etc which can be very disconcerting. They can also be amongst the most rewarding dogs to own because of their intelligence and trainability which is why trainers tend to love them. She is very fortunate to have ended up on your porch as she'd not have been likely to find a home via a pound. The dogs that are treated as throwaways in this country are the collies and greyhounds.

Yes Karlin. She is indeed a beautiful girl. An older gentleman, the husband of the woman associated with Many Tears and Inistioge Rescue came to get her today. He was very nice and receptive to her, he said he really loves collies as he had had about 30 or so in his lifetime and they would make sure she would go to a good home. Also, he said she was very young, probably only just out of puppyhood. Bless! Thanks for looking at her photos.

Desrae,
You did a great job with her, she is lovely, a typical collie, she looks so intelligent too. As mentioned below, collies are hard work, they need lots of time and stimulation. I don't think I would ever take one on. Give me a snuggly, cuddly cavalier any day :p
I'm sure the rescue people will find her a great new home in no time.

We miss her... well, Belle and Bobby were somewhat relieved, I think. If I had a bigger family and a bit of land I would seriously consider getting a collie, they're amazing! Maybe if I play the lotto and win, another one of my dreams now is to set up a collie rescue here in Tipperary, hmmm... I've rescued one so far anyway.

I'll let you all know to which rescue she goes. I was told they'll keep in touch and that we can keep track of her on their website.

Desrae,
You did a great job with her, she is lovely, a typical collie, she looks so intelligent too. As mentioned below, collies are hard work, they need lots of time and stimulation. I don't think I would ever take one on. Give me a snuggly, cuddly cavalier any day :p
I'm sure the rescue people will find her a great new home in no time.

I love the snuggly cuddliness of cavaliers too! They're living teddy bears... but all dogs are furry angels on earth.

Great job in opening your home to this beautiful girl! I'm so glad she's found a good place to be. I considered a collie when first looking for a dog. But I decided that I didn't have the time or knowledge to properly manage this type of dog. I have two young children and read a lot about how collies will herd kids. I just didn't think I could adequately train that herding instinct away. But they are beautiful dogs for the right home!

Back