PDA

View Full Version : Going to be 6 months, losing teeth?

tloghman
9th February 2010, 01:07 AM
Hi! My Bella will be six months at the end of the month and today I just found a tooth that fell from her mouth to her paw. Should she still be losing teeth? How do I know if it is just baby teeth vs. adult teeth? Thanks!

Erin2854
9th February 2010, 01:10 AM
Probably just a baby tooth. Some are stubborn! Mine had to have some extracted when she was spayed at 6 months cause they were not coming out on their own and her adults were starting to come in.

Karlin
9th February 2010, 01:28 AM
Yeah it will be a baby tooth at that age -- 4-6 months is generally when they are getting adult teeth in but this process can go on for many months more (my two that I had as pups were still losing their last teeth at 10 months old or so). Often vets will remove any that haven't come out at the time of a spay/neuter but generally just giving the dog a good rubber chew or rawhide or meaty raw bone will help get them all out. Don't worry, a puppy won't lose its adult teeth; they are def baby teeth! On rare occasions, they may really need a surgical intervention if they end up with a 'shark mouth' row of adult teeth coming in behind the baby teeth and the baby teeth don't come out but just get pushed forward, but even this often happens with some teeth and again, just giving some good chews helps in probably 99% of cases.

My vets actually were supposed to remove the remaining 4 teeth of my first male when he was neutered but they forgot and they all came out within a couple of weeks. When my second male got to neutering age they suggested taking his out and I said I'd leave them and those came out of their own accord, too.

Karen and Ruby
9th February 2010, 12:35 PM
Yeh deffinatly baby teeth.

Charlie stilll had teeth coming through up untill a couple of months ago. Like Karlin said a good raw hide or rubber chew will help loads!

Desrae
9th February 2010, 03:48 PM
I found my little Bob's tooth stuck in my sock the other day. He's 5 months old so right on target. Rawhide chews are really good for that and those big rope things are good too, they helped our other cavalier Belle, who's nearly two now, lose a few. One time I saw a tooth fall out while she was tugging and chewing at it. Too bad there isn't a dog tooth fairy! Our little girl is losing a load of front teeth right now (which I'm saving and I saved one of Bob's with hers). I showed her his lost tooth and she wondered if the tooth fairy was coming for him, Bless! :lol: