View Full Version : Update on Bentley

11th February 2010, 03:35 PM
I took Bentley to the neurologist and got an MRI scan for him at the beginning of this year, so about 6 weeks ago. He was diagnosed with caudal occipital malformation syndrome (COMS) but the neurologist said that he had no syrinxes. She said that the COMS was causing mild hydrocephalus and a kink in the medullary cervical junction, which was causing his symptoms. So she decided to start him on omeprazole, gabapentin, and a 2 week course of carprofen (Rimadyl). So for the first two weeks, I had him on all meds and only giving him the gabapentin twice a day (since the dose seems so high for such a little dog). After 2 weeks with no changes in his symptoms, I decided to increase the gabapentin to 3 times daily and we stopped his carprofen. For a week or two, he seemed to be improving with his symptoms. But the last 2-3 weeks, all his symptoms (ear/neck scratching, face rubbing, chewing his fur) have come back with a good amount of intensity and seem more frequent than before. His scratching sessions seem to last longer and he seems to be scratching harder. So we started him back on the carprofen a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

I guess my question is, can just COMS be causing his symptoms? Can something else be causing all his symptoms? Should I take his MRI scans to another neurologist to get a second opinion? :confused:

I've been hoping and wanting the meds to help him with his symptoms so much, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for him. I was waiting to post an update on him because I was hoping that it would have been a positive one. I wanted to give the meds time to work. But if anything, his symptoms are now worse than when I first posted. :( The neurologist had mentioned surgery as an option, but I really don't want to go that route because it is so invasive and he doesn't yet have SM. What else can I be doing for him?

11th February 2010, 04:46 PM
Hmmm, difficult questions.

Has he been checked by an allergy specialist?

I'd also think that yes: a second opinion might be a good idea. Clare Rusbridge does readings for a modest fee -- you could contact her: CRusbridge@goddardvetgroup.co.uk . Some neurologists and radiologists are not very familiar with SM or CM and may miss things others would see.

I'd think that either 1) there is a syrinx that has been missed; 2) something like PSOM is causing problems? Hydrocephalus?; 3) that something in the fluid dynamics mean medications aren't really helping. From your earlier videos, this doesn't really look like it would be allergies, or only allergies.

It is very frustrating to be in the situation you are in -- really sorry the meds didn't seem to help.