• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

MRIs: how position of dog/length of scan can alter results!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Clare Rusbridge has a really interesting page up on her website now with some comparison images on how a dog can appear to have no malformation, where it actually does, and to have no syrinx, when it actually does, depending on how the technician positions the dog for the scan, and the quality of the machine and length of exposure:

http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/sm_screening_breeders.htm

Scroll down about halfway to get to where the images begin and the explanations. Very interesting to see the comparisons. There are more images, more comparisons and an explanation on CM and severity too, that I hadn't seen on the site before. In the downloads section there is a guide for vets/technicians on head positioning to try and get a consistent result.

For people who have had an MRI done and would like it interpreted by Clare Rusbridge, there's information on how to do this and what she needs. The cost is a very reasonable £35. A few people have wanted her to interpret their scans so this page handily has all the information to get this done, and the price. (y)

Goodness, that's a worry. I am glad Clare is now charging to interpret scans as I assumed she did this for free in the past (?) and thought it must be very time consuming for her.

This is very concerning! I am wondering how accurate the MRI scanner at Chestergates is and the subsequent results from Chestergates taking into account positioning and quality? can anyone allay my worries??

Geoff Skerritt was involved in discussions on setting up a panel of neurologists to assess the scans and to create standards for diagnosis for the BVA scheme, so he should be aware of head positioning and so on. I don't know what they do in terms of exposure time. I would think that private scans would be more involved than the brief scans done for breeding information.

Clare Rusbridge has charged a small amount for assessing scans for a while now -- she used to look at them for free, but very quickly she became inundated with requests. It is time-consuming to look at them and assess them, and the advantage of charging a small fee is that in exchange, owners get a proper written report.

This is very concerning! I am wondering how accurate the MRI scanner at Chestergates is and the subsequent results from Chestergates taking into account positioning and quality? can anyone allay my worries??​

I had a scan done for my girl recently there.If you're a breeder and you want a simple yes or no answer if your dog has a syrinx then you get a great service for approx £115.
For an extra £10 you can have a cardiologist check.
Remember a screening scan is just that, a basic screening test.You can see a copy of the scan in the SM forum and can clearly see the syrinxs.
Sins

Back