• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Newbie from California

lilysmom

Hi! I just joined after coming on the site to see how people have dealt with anal gland abscess problems in their Cavaliers. Our Lily is 2 and has had two abscesses this year. We're in the process of deciding on a new diet in hopes that will fix the issue. Pool girl. :( Anyway, great info... great site - I will definitely be using it on a regular basis for all things Cavalier!
Cheers,
Mollie

Welcome!

Haven't had that particular problem yet in my 2, but hopefully someone here will know what to do!

But welcome, don't ya just love this breed! I am in Illinois, but have a son that lives in CA.

Hi! I just joined after coming on the site to see how people have dealt with anal gland abscess problems in their Cavaliers. Our Lily is 2 and has had two abscesses this year. We're in the process of deciding on a new diet in hopes that will fix the issue. Pool girl. :( Anyway, great info... great site - I will definitely be using it on a regular basis for all things Cavalier!
Cheers,
Mollie

Hi There , I have recently lost my little baby girl Molly to her heart murmur but she also had an anal gland abcess around 2 years ago. our vet told us to mix porridge with her food and this worked a treat . We also were advised to add bran to her diet on the days we didnt use porridge and it really did help .
Welcome to the forum .

Hi there icon_welcomethere's always someone here, who will be able to help with any number of queries(y)

Hi there- My Cavalier Oliver has issues with his anal glands. My vet told me to mix a little Metamucil in with his food. Also, it's a personal choice, but some people feel that feeding a raw diet helps as their poops are much more firm helping to naturally express the glands. I have also heard of people using some canned pumpkin to add fiber to the diet.

Thanks everyone! We've just switched Lily to a mixture of Innova kibble, frozen veggies and a spoonful of pumpkin, twice a day. So we'll see - hoping to also add some frozen raw nuggets here and there.

Molski - so sorry to here about your little Molly. What a cutie!
Take care,
Mollie

Hi, where in California are you from. I am also in CA, have met many great people and have a good friend now from here. Hope the ideas work to take care of the anal gland issue.icon_welcome

WELCOME! Hope that diet helps your pup. Our breeder had us add sweet potato to 2 meals. Hopefully the pumpkin will help. We have our Abigail on a mixture of Innpva Evo and Canadae. She wasn't keen on the Evo so have a mix since our golden gobbles the evo down.

Heather R

Welcome to you and Lily icon_welcome and hope you get these dreaded Anal Glands sorted out. Dougall hasn't had an abscess but we have trouble too :eek:

Hi and welcome.

My boy Leo has had trouble with his glands too. We've switched diet, added bran and raw veg. He did develop and abcess which needed surgery:(

Anyway hope you enjoy the site

Hello

And welcome ,out of my four Rosie is the thumper and we too feed raw veg as well as adding a small spoonful of bran flakes to their meals and giving them a small sqr of shredded wheat (breakfast cereal ) but for some there seems no answer apart from frequent visits to the vets .Each time I go they always show me what to do but I am too concerned about hurting them so I haven't tried to do them myself and I cant see I will so its another case of leave it to the experts I think ,does anybody on the forum do their own Cavalier.

Back