PDA

View Full Version : aarrgghhhh

Rubysmum
4th March 2010, 03:02 PM
ok ive got ruby booked in for spaying in the morning . why is there so many different opiions on the best time to do it, even among vets ?? she is six months and i thought it was the best time ,and thats what my vet says but im reading so much on the net , much of which says they should have a season first . help:eek:im really torn please can anyone tell me when you had yours done and how they went .

Joye
4th March 2010, 03:08 PM
Our vet said the earlier the better. We did Penny at 4 1/2 months.
Easy recoop, she is fine, he said there is a much better chance not to
get any cancer this way.

I'm glad we did it early. No ill effects.

Good luck! The hardest part is being away from her a whole night...

Rubysmum
4th March 2010, 03:52 PM
thanks thats good to hear . we get to pick her up in the afternoon though ,if all goes well they dont keep them in overnight -id be a nervous wreck as it is lol couldnt sleep without her snoring beside me now -hope she can sleep though ,after her vaccs she had a restless night thats why im worrying myself silly :(

gocamping
4th March 2010, 06:57 PM
We have done all our females at 6 months. Like anything, there are always different choices for each person to make. We have never had any issues.

Dublin
4th March 2010, 07:32 PM
we neuter everything at 6 months at Dogs Trust

MadPip
4th March 2010, 09:43 PM
We let Maddie have one season first, then got her spayed 3 months after. This is just my personal preference though, partly to do with allowing her to physically mature, the fact that the jury is still out on the effect of early neutering on growth plate closure, and also because a spay when in season is risky, and how do you know they're not about to come into season when you book them in?
These were just my reasons, and I think we all have to make an informed decision for our own dogs, and having made that decision try not to "second guess" yourself. There are reasons to spay early and reasons to let them have a season, and like so much of life it is a balance of risks.

What I would say is, I don't think this is a black and white issue, so there is no absolute right time, and no absolute wrong time. We all make the decision according to our own individual ideas and beliefs, and we have all made the right decision for our own situations.

I'm sure she'll be fine after her spay, expect her to be a bit groggy from the anaesthetic, and if she sleeps in bed with you remember to stop her from jumping up onto it, and down from it. Maddie was 11 months old when she was done, and she had a brilliant uncomplicated post-op recovery. She was so good I didn't even have to put the dreaded cone on her as she left her stitches alone. :lotsaluv: I did crate her for the first few days at times when I couldn't supervise her closely to make sure she didn't do too much. That's how good she was.

Good luck and try not to worry too much.

Sandrac
4th March 2010, 10:34 PM
When I had Minnie done I had one vet at our practice advising me to get her spayed at 6 months. I took her for her pre-op check and saw another vet and he advised waiting until after her first season:bang:
In the end I waited as with all my others I'd let them have a season first. At the end of the day I think you have to go with what you feel is right.

Cathy Moon
5th March 2010, 12:53 AM
My vet said to have India spayed before her first season, and that's what we did. We asked the vet for pain pills for her when she came home. He gave us some, and it helped. I kept her in an x-pen when I couldn't watch her, so she wouldn't jump on/off furniture or go on the stairs. I got out my camping mattress and goose down sleeping bag and let her curl up with me on the floor to sleep at night. We followed all the vet instructions, and she was fine. :flwr:

Rubysmum
5th March 2010, 07:50 AM
thanks all i feel somewhat reassured ..just want it done now . she had a bath last night and got a new bed she can stretch out on :) have to drop her off at 8 30 will let you know how it goes .

waldor
5th March 2010, 05:17 PM
Before the internet, life was simple, wasn't it?

I spay/neuter every dog we have ever owned. This time, with Sophie, we had the internet and lots of opinions to read and study. Opinions vary and each 'camp' believes theirs is the right and true way to go. :confused:
Same goes with vaccinations. :confused::confused:

I finally decided to do what I believed was best for us humans and the dog. We spayed Sophie before the first 'season' in order to avoid the mess and hassle, as we have spayed/neutered past dogs, per our vet's recommendation.

Rubysmum
5th March 2010, 06:17 PM
well shes home :rah:.. not feeling great but coming round slowly. she is wary when walking and lies down carefully bless her i feel for her . am i supposed to have brought painkillers for her or will she have a long acting one i just hope she isnt too sore in the night :( she is getting better by the hour though and im glad its done with. yes walder its so hard whe theres so much info out there -years ago i had my first dog (collie cross ) done without a second thought at six months maybe even earlier but i ve agonised over this one ! had some sad news though she has a little friend a blond cocker the same age as her -he died under anasthetic yesterday:( not sure what he was n for i heard he was having an op on his paw and didnt wake up . im really glad i didnt know till tonight i dont think could have gone through with it . feel really sad for them i talk to them at the school gate i wont know what to say when i see them - so sad . just have to go and give ruby a kiss and (gentle ) cuddle thanks for your advice :lotsaluv:

Charlotte
5th March 2010, 06:23 PM
Aawww im glag Ruby's ok :)
Sad news about the dog that dies yesterday, when we had Charlie 'done' i never thought he wouldnt wake up, i was only about 9 though so thats probably why, when we bought him home he was a bit tired and floppy but after about a day he was back to normal again :)

Cathy Moon
6th March 2010, 01:05 AM
am i supposed to have brought painkillers for her or will she have a long acting one i just hope she isnt too sore in the night

Normally we ask the vet before the surgery what kind of pain relief will be provided. You might want to call the vet tomorrow and ask for a pain prescription for her.

I read an article that said dogs actually heal faster after surgery when they have pain relief. I'll try to find the article and post a link here.

Here is the link:
http://www.healthypet.com/PetCare/PetCareArticle.aspx?art_key=28e3ac21-79a2-499b-bc5f-3602101c4a03

It's very important that the pain meds for your dog come from the vet.

waldor
6th March 2010, 06:16 PM
How is Ruby coming along? Sophie came home feeling quite well. We had to keep her from running about. Our vets here have an anesthesia that leaves the body much faster than the type they used several years ago.

Definitely get her the pain meds your vet recommends.

I'm so sorry about your blonde cocker spaniel friend. I'm sure his owner is devastated. Surgery always has that risk, even with humans under the knife. I avoid surgery like the plague unless absolutely necessary for that reason.

Rubysmum
6th March 2010, 06:53 PM
Hi . well she is much better now. through the night she was waking up and seemed thirsty so was giving her water but she didnt wee till 11 30 this morning , i brought her down to wee in the night and she just lay down on the pad and looked bit helpless. she came in bed with me and settled a bit . phoned vets at 10 am and asked if she could have pain relief and that she hadnt urinated at all since the op . they said if she didnt by midday bring her in. anyway took her in the garden and she did a wee and poo :) then seemed much more comfortable and brought her ball to play . so didnt get any meds in the end . hope she sleeps well tonight she is nearly back to normal its hard to stop her jumping on /off the couch . and she is not so much licking at the stitches as bringing her rear leg up to scratch them aagghhh . got some baby socks but they wont stay on lol not sure how to stop that except for constant supervision which she is getting anyway but it is abit nerve wracking to think if she pulled a stitch out with a claw :eek: ..