PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Ears.

*Pauline*
11th March 2010, 11:14 AM
The day finally came when Dylan's ears had to be cut short. They looked awful because of SM scratching. Yesterday he got his back foot caught in his ear feathers three times in an hour while scratching, they had to go.

It's quite hard to trim ears as the layers underneath needed to be slightly shorter or they would stick out and make it look very uneven.

This is him on the one warm day we had last week. He likes to sleep in the garden while I do the weeding. Not the worst pic of his ears but you see the tangles.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4420468263_196735dde0_b.jpg
And here, the gaps in his feathers.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2742/4350024286_1c512cc719_b.jpg

And now...I was shocked I did it at first but now I like it. They look healthier and fuller.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2735/4423861157_400a3df34c_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/4423860313_4019bfe4e0_b.jpg

I'm always a bit disappointed when people on the forum trim their Cavaliers so I don't expect you to like the new look but at least he's is more comfortable now and they are easier to brush as he hated that.

Bunnylover
11th March 2010, 11:37 AM
Oh I love the new look! He's gorgeous whatever length his ears are.

gentess1
11th March 2010, 11:48 AM
He looks lovely. Our Ben's hair grows at a terrific rate, and he too can catch his paws in his ears, which can be stressfull even without any other underlying problems. I bet it is a relief for Dylan, especially as the weather is finally starting to turn ( jinxed it now ). We are for ever trying to keep on top of our's ears, it is probably their most common complaint.

Rumor
11th March 2010, 11:57 AM
He looks beautiful always. I keep Loki's & Rumus cut. Loki because his looks like Dylan's in the 2nd picture & Remus because his grow so long that he trips over them while playing in the yard. :)

Jasperxxgabby
11th March 2010, 01:19 PM
Aww I think Dylan looks as lovely as ever, with those gorgeous huge eyes and his lovely trimmed ears he is a proper stunner. You did a good job and his comfort is the most important thing :)

sins
11th March 2010, 01:52 PM
There was a valid medical reason for trimming the ears Pauline so you were quite right to trim them up.
He could injure himself if he kept getting his paw stuck in the matts.Imagine him tumbling off a couch or bed with his paw stuck in a matt.
We shaved out the matts at the back of Daisy's ears, as that's where she sctatches and it prevents the tangles but still allows her the look of long ears.
You have to do what's best for the dog.
For the record he's still a very good looking boy.
Sins

dellis
11th March 2010, 03:53 PM
ah he is such a lovely looking dog, long or short ears!

meljoy
11th March 2010, 04:04 PM
Personally I think you did a really good job there.......maybe a future career as a Dog groomer huh?
You know I trim Leo and the ears are always a must as he hates them being brushed as as Sins said it's whats best for the dog. Dylan doesnt look too traumatised.....just as hansome as ever;)

*Pauline*
11th March 2010, 04:32 PM
Dylan doesnt look too traumatised.....just as hansome as ever;)

He did hide under the dining table after for a few minutes even though he sat nice and still while I trimmed them.

Catareta
11th March 2010, 05:47 PM
Aww bless him - makes him look younger lol .... :p

sarahso
11th March 2010, 07:44 PM
He looks beautiful, no matter how long his ears are x

Nicki
11th March 2010, 07:52 PM
Ah bless him - he looks fine Pauline, better than having an accident :eek:

Ears are always difficult to manage with SM :(

vikki
11th March 2010, 07:54 PM
he looks beautiful

pippa
11th March 2010, 09:14 PM
He looks beautiful...as always :)

harleyfarley
11th March 2010, 09:24 PM
Pauline harley does the same, he gets his claws caught in the tangles in his ears, so we keep them as long as is practical, i think he looks great, imagine if you can home from shopping and he had been caught like that for hours, or he could rip his claws. di

heather r
11th March 2010, 09:30 PM
Dylan looks great with his new shorter look. I know our Abigail has a fit when I either comb or cut out her tangles in her ears. Also when it's wet outside, she comes in with very wet hair on her ears and i have to wait til they're dry before attempting to comb.

I think you are really on to a winning look:)

Heather R

renate
11th March 2010, 10:45 PM
Dylan looks lovely, Pauline!
and you did a wonderful job. :)

*Pauline*
11th March 2010, 11:15 PM
imagine if you can home from shopping and he had been caught like that for hours, or he could rip his claws. di
:xctly: That's what I was thinking.

diddy
11th March 2010, 11:20 PM
He looks very smart with his neatly trimmed ears Pauline.

Chuck
11th March 2010, 11:43 PM
It was with great fear that I opened this thread. I already was aware of the trimming that Dylan was getting. However, I was so relieved to see the photo of him with his new hair cut. You did a great job Pauline; he looks as handsome as ever! :biggrin:

Lani
12th March 2010, 12:07 AM
Pauline, Dylan is gorgeous as always!!! He's still my all time favorite Blenheim.

ElshaUKAU
19th March 2010, 12:01 PM
He looks lovely! Like a young pup again...awww. My 15 month old has a few chunks cut from his feathers as he had knots (we got him from the breeder like that) so far, in the 7 weeks we've had him he hasn't developed any further tangles.

You did a good job :)

Karlin
19th March 2010, 12:12 PM
I keep Leo and Lily's ears short too due to their SM scratching -- even if you keep them brushed and use a good conditioner to help detangle, they get tangled and Lily in particular would have the same problem as Dylan, getting a nail or foot caught in the tangle which could get very distressing for her if I weren't around to help.

Lily is cute with little short ears and actually looks much better anyway I think, as her coat is a bit flyaway and her ears could look like birds' nests! But I do miss Leo's beautiful long black ears. He'd scratched off all the glossy black top layer of hair and left the undercoat which is a duller grey -- so they had none of their previous glory anyway. :(

Yet more reasons why I hate this disease. Minor in some ways, perhaps, but appearance and those beautiful long ears are to me one of the loveliest things about the breed.

sins
19th March 2010, 12:27 PM
My Mum phoned last night in a terrible state.
She gave Dad the job of taking Parker to the groomer.She wanted his slippers trimmed as he was like a hobbit and some of the hair trimmed underneath.
She says he now looks like a tricolour bulldog sitting on the couch.He was shaaaaaved...bald as a coot!:shock:.
Sins

Karlin
19th March 2010, 12:40 PM
Oh no, Sins! He has one of the most glorious coats on any cavalier I've ever rehomed... :cry*ing:

sins
19th March 2010, 01:04 PM
To be fair,he needed a trim.His brushing was taking almost 40 mins every day.He was tripping over his ears and his coat had reached within two inches of the floor.Being in the countryside he was bringing all kind of dirt in on the coat and slippers and his hindquarters were getting matted.
A trim was definitely in order but this was ridiculous.:shock:Poor boy's been Lola'd.
Ah well, he's still loved....
Sins