• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Clipping a Ruby

Zippy

The Girls are off to the groomers over the weekend and we're wondering about clipping our Rosie, a Ruby.

Has anyone ever had their Ruby clipped down and have they returned to their original rich red colour??

She seems quite blonde-ish under the red and I'd be upset to lose the lovely deep red permanently.

It's just to get us through the spring muddy season, as the Girls love to muck about in the garden and at the beach.

Please share your experience with a clipped (shaved) Ruby and the return to redness!

Our Charley used to return to normal but he was a Tri.

Thankyou for you help. :)

Clipping may or may not not return a different colour -- colour often fades for lots of reasons, ranging from genes, the lines, environment, sometimes a neuter, age, diet etc. And clipping may permanently affect the coat adversely, so that it ends up with fuzziness (cotton coat) or curls/waves. If you trim off the darker coat you may end up with a lighter coat. Or maybe not.

If you want the coat neatened and thinned you could ask for that from the groomer, but I'd never recommend shaving a cavalier myself. There is a suggested trim for those who wish/are determined to do so :), posted in the Library section (I think at the very end of listings under 'caring for your cavalier') -- gives directions that people can give their groomer. (y)

Dont let them shave,use sissors.It takes longer and costs a little more,but the coat will grow back better.I found the shavers ruined the coat,it grew back all fluffy.

Thanks Justine,

Rosie had a lot of scissor work done and her beautiful coat is still a lovely deep red!

The only part that was shaved, at my request, was her 'sanitation clip'.

She looks like a pup again, so very cute! :luv:

Mary Alice was trimmed to a puppy cut, part shaving and part scissor work.

She also looks very puppy-ish, a real cutie pie. :luv:

We did find that we have two slightly pudgy pups, it wasn't all fur as my daughter was claiming....lol.

They are now on half rations, less cookies and it's a lovely sunny week, so we're going walkies more often.

Hope to be at the beach or park daily til the humid weather hits and we have to limit our walkies.

Thanks again for the suggestions, much appreciated. :)

Back