• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scar tissue after surgery

sophie

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with scar tissue forming after decompression surgery with cranioplasty? My Lucy had surgery 6 months ago and just had her 6 month post op MRI. Scar tissue is forming in her neck.

The surgeon said if she deteriorates and her symptoms come back she will have to have her surgery revised. :(

Is there anything I should be doing to try to prevent more scar tissue from forming? Has anyone had a dog that had scar tissue that is doing well without a second surgery?

The good news is the syrinx has shrunk! :)

Thank you,

Fran

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you are going through this - just six months after having to undergo the recovery from the cranioplasty. My Riley had decompression surgery almost 2 years ago. She had a cranioplasty with a titanium mesh implant. I believe the purpose of the titanium implant is to reduce the formation of scar tissue. As of right now (21 months after surgery) she does not have any scar tissue and is doing well. This is the same surgery they are doing at LIVS who are (from what I understand) pioneers in SM decompression surgery. I don't know where you are in the US, but maybe you could check out if there are neurologists in your area that do the implant - especially if Lucy needs more surgery. I wish I had any ideas about what to do to reduce/prevent scar tissue from forming, but I am clueless on that one. I wish you and Lucy luck. So glad the syrinx shrunk - great news!!

Thanks, Bev. Glad to hear Riley is doing well 21 months after surgery! :)

She does have the titanium mesh implant. Her surgery was performed at LIVS. The revision surgery would require taking out the screws, mesh and removing the scar tissue. Then "revising" it. I'm not sure what would prevent the scar tissue the second time around. I am going to be speaking to her surgeon soon, but right now I am trying to put together some questions I have.

He wants to see her again in 3 months.

Fran

Sorry Fran, but that's the extent of my knowledge on this one then. I guess the only thing is to speak with her neurologist, like you said. Maybe some one else on the board will have some words of wisdom.

I'm sorry to her you are seeing scar tissue. Did they give you any idea as to why they think it is forming at the site? Is it causing any further symptoms or is it just there? If the syrinx has shrunk, and it isn't causing problems, I'd wonder if a second surgery is necessary, so that would be one question I'd want to ask too. Jaime on the SM list had some problems with scar tissue -- I think her dog was one of the first to have the mesh decompression at LIVS -- and she found a special ultrasound machine seemed to help. You might try emailing her if you can get her email address off the CKCS-SM list as I know you had posted there as well. Or do a search on that list using the word 'ultrasound'?

Thank you Karlin. I spoke with Jaime and I ordered an Alpha Sonic machine today. I am really excited about it. The lady I ordered it from said it's very successful with scar tissue.

The only symptom that is returning is a little ear scratching but it's nothing like it was before the surgery. I think she's doing very well - it's just the scar tissue on the MRI that worried me. I think her surgeon is concerned it may cause her to deteriorate in the future.

I am hopeful this machine is the answer.

Fran

Back