PDA

View Full Version : Very Sick Prince

Shivers
18th March 2010, 09:42 PM
I seem to be only posting here lately with problems :(

Poor Prince has been out of sorts the past few days but we reached crisis point today and he is now in the vets and he has to stay for a while. He basically just collapsed. He hadnt been eating and drinking much and was much quieter than usual.
At this point the vet thinks it may be Addisons disease which is an adrenal failure but until they get blood work back they wont know for sure. It was very scary and heartbreaking to see him like that.
I will call them first thing for an update as they are trying to stabilise him with fluids through an IV. In the mean time can everyone just say a little prayer for him please.

misty
18th March 2010, 09:58 PM
oh my goodness :(

Huge prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. x

Claire L
18th March 2010, 10:13 PM
Aww God Siobhan, I'm so sorry to read about poor Prince. You must be up the walls. Sending lots and lots of prayers for Prince and Hugs for you and Belle -hope she's not missing him too much :hug::hug:

Hope you get good news in the morning :xfngr:

Karlin
18th March 2010, 10:17 PM
Oh no, I am so so sorry to hear poor Prince is ill. It's particularly hard when you are dealing with other things as well. I hope he will come through OK -- if anyone else has had experience with this condition in their dogs perhaps you can let Siobhan know as it always helps to talk to someone who is familiar with an illness first hand. Hoping he is a lot better soon. :flwr:

The Rouge Princess
18th March 2010, 10:30 PM
Sending healing vibes to you and Prince.Keep us posted :thmbsup:

Rouge & Scarlett

xxxx

Wagtails
18th March 2010, 10:34 PM
Lots of healing thoughts wafting Prince's way from us too - even those of us who have no experience of this disease can imagine what you are going through. Fingers crossed for you all.http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Heartblowingpoog.gif

Thelly
18th March 2010, 11:00 PM
Siobhan, we are so sorry to hear about Prince. We really hope he feels better soon. :hug:

diddy
18th March 2010, 11:03 PM
Sending huge prayers and positive thoughts out to you and Prince. Hugs for you and Belle. Hang on in there Siobhan, we are thinking of you.

Cathy T
18th March 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Prince. Will keep you in my prayers.

Nicki
18th March 2010, 11:11 PM
Oh goodness I'm so sorry, that is terrifying for you.

This looks quite an informative site http://www.addisondogs.com/

This is not a condition of which I have personal experience - I can't even think right now of any fellow Cavalier owners whom have dealt with it...I know it really helps to have that back up.

Keep us posted as to how he is doing - in the meantime try to look after yourself so you are strong for him...

Sabby
18th March 2010, 11:19 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Prince. Positive thoughts and prayers are coming your way.:hug::hug:

Margaret C
18th March 2010, 11:34 PM
Thinking of you and Prince

patg
19th March 2010, 12:00 AM
Prayers for Prince and for you as well. Healing thoughts being sent your way.

Cathy Moon
19th March 2010, 12:33 AM
You and Prince are in our thoughts.

jld
19th March 2010, 01:55 AM
Thinking about you and Prince....

vikki
19th March 2010, 03:38 AM
thinking of you and prince as well.

Shivers
19th March 2010, 09:22 AM
Thank you everybody for your kind words. I just called the vets for an update and the nurse said he is still very quiet and collapsed this morning. He is going to have more IV fluids now and the vet will be in at 10am and I can speak to him then about his plan of action.
They were taking blood last night and the vet said that they do an initial screening there in the practice but if anything more comprehensive is needed they send it out to a lab.
I'll give you a better update when I get one myself. Belle is pretty sad and was quite off her food. She is like Prince's little shadow and she will be heartbroken if anything happens to him. She did have a little bit to eat and drink this morning so i'll just have to keep her distracted today.

Brian M
19th March 2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Shivers

Dearest best wishes to Prince and you .

Bet
19th March 2010, 09:57 AM
Siobhan

All I can do for Prince and you is keep my Fingers crossed.

Bet

Claire L
19th March 2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the update Siobhan. Hopefully another few hours on a drip will be beneficial to Prince.
Keeping fingers and toes crossed here :xfngr: Hugs to you and Belle - hang in there :hug::hug:

Rubysmum
19th March 2010, 10:07 AM
sorry to hear this hope things have improved when you see him, poor prince (and belle)

diddy
19th March 2010, 10:15 AM
Everything crossed for the 3 of you here this morning.

jasperpaw
19th March 2010, 10:19 AM
So sorry to read that Prince is so pooly and hope it won`t be too long before he is home with you.

amanda L
19th March 2010, 11:10 AM
:hug:Thinking of you and Prince

Desrae
19th March 2010, 12:10 PM
Sending you positive and healing vibes. Hoping he is better today.....

Charlifarley
19th March 2010, 12:57 PM
Hope Prince starts to feel better soon. Fingers crossed for him.
Charli

Shivers
19th March 2010, 05:04 PM
Not really much to report. He is a tiny bit brighter but still very unwell. They are still trying to stabilise him with IV fluids. He still wont eat and he still cant stand or walk as he is very weak. His blood had been sent away to the lab so just waiting for the results to come back. I will give them another call in a while to see is there any change.
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts, it is very much appreciated.

Shivers
19th March 2010, 06:21 PM
The vet just called with an update, unfortunately it was not really good news. He is pretty much still the same. He said they got some initial blood work back and it is showing his kidneys, liver and pancreas are all under strain but they are not totally sure why yet. Prince had a seizure this afternoon and they had to give him meds to calm him. The vet said they are worried but at this stage they cant call it one way or another until they know more.

meljoy
19th March 2010, 06:21 PM
Just reading this now.........hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Mel x

brid kenny
19th March 2010, 06:26 PM
I'm so sorry. Thinking of ye.

Daisy's Mom
19th March 2010, 06:37 PM
Like everyone else, I'm so sorry to hear that Prince is having problems. I will pray for him (and you). I hope the tests eventually point to a particular problem that can then be addressed.

Prince doesn't eat lots of chicken jerky type treats, does he? Just a stab in the dark as lots of dogs have had similar symptoms to what you describe after eating lots of those. Daisy was in the vet for several days, had lots of testing, etc. a couple of years ago, and I believe it was a result of those jerky treats. The vet himself never did figure it out. I kind of figured it out after the fact, although I had my suspicions while it was going on.

Bunnylover
19th March 2010, 06:56 PM
Fingers crossed for good news soon,thinking of you

Shivers
19th March 2010, 08:24 PM
Like everyone else, I'm so sorry to hear that Prince is having problems. I will pray for him (and you). I hope the tests eventually point to a particular problem that can then be addressed.

Prince doesn't eat lots of chicken jerky type treats, does he? Just a stab in the dark as lots of dogs have had similar symptoms to what you describe after eating lots of those. Daisy was in the vet for several days, had lots of testing, etc. a couple of years ago, and I believe it was a result of those jerky treats. The vet himself never did figure it out. I kind of figured it out after the fact, although I had my suspicions while it was going on.

No its definitely not due to treats. He is a bit of a pudding usually so I have to watch his diet pretty strictly. He does get occasional treats but I doubt it would be enough to cause such a serious illness. The vet asked all those questions as well. They were trying to rule out any sort of poisoning.
Fingers crossed for better news tomorrow.

Claire L
19th March 2010, 08:27 PM
Really hope they can find out what is causing his problems and get him sorted and back home to you.
Sending prayers for better news in the morning :hug:

Sandrac
19th March 2010, 09:28 PM
Thinking of you and sending lots of get well wishes to Prince.

Tania
19th March 2010, 09:33 PM
I am sorry Prince is so poorly. Has the vet checked for Pancreatitis type problems, I am not an expert
but it might be worth ruling out.

I am sending you lots of healing wishes from Molly, Dougall and Dotty.

tupup
19th March 2010, 10:03 PM
I hope your little one is much better soon& back with you where he belongs,try to stay strong,sending hugs from our home to yours& youre in my prayers.
Get well soon Prince xx

casshon
19th March 2010, 10:53 PM
So sorry to hear Prince is unwell. I really hope he gets better soon :flwr:

pippa
20th March 2010, 02:28 AM
Only seeing this now....don't get time to get on here much these days. So sorry to hear about Prince, fingers crossed tightly for him.

brownietrout
20th March 2010, 08:34 AM
prayers winging their way to him and you also

diddy
20th March 2010, 10:41 AM
Hoping there is better news for you this morning. Stay strong.

Shivers
20th March 2010, 11:24 AM
I dont even know what to say. Prince passed away during the night. I am heartbroken and devastated. I just wish he had been at home with us and with Belle when it happened. I think I am still in shock, it was all just so sudden.
Thank you all again for your kind words.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq328/nolan_siobhan/Prince8.jpg

*Pauline*
20th March 2010, 11:30 AM
Oh no I'm so sorry :hug: :(

rosiesmum
20th March 2010, 12:12 PM
So sorry about Prince :hug::hug:

pippa
20th March 2010, 12:19 PM
I am so very sorry Siobhan :(

Wagtails
20th March 2010, 01:17 PM
Oh Siobhan, I am so sorry to hear this sad news. Try not to beat yourself up about not having Prince with you at home - it really doesn't sound as though you could have done anything other than leave him with your vet, as he was obviously so very poorly.

Sleep tightly, little Prince - we shall hoid you and your family in our hearts http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Heartblowingpoog.gif

Karlin
20th March 2010, 01:29 PM
Oh goodness Siobhan: I am so terribly sorry and so shocked and can only imagine how devastated you must be. He had such a special happy home with you and was such a jolly fellow; you did so much for him. I know Thelly too will be devastated too as he was one of her fosters and we all shared a special affection for him. You did absolutely all you could and this illness came on very suddenly -- you were right to have had him at the vets but I know it is very hard not to have been able to be with him at the end. :( Please know so many of us will have you and your family in our thoughts at such a difficult time. A very big hug.

Charlifarley
20th March 2010, 01:31 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.
Charli :flwr:

Love my Cavaliers
20th March 2010, 02:02 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. Sending lots of hugs your way. Run like the wind Prince!

Brian M
20th March 2010, 02:09 PM
So very sad for you Siobhan ,all the girls send big hugs.:(

jasperpaw
20th March 2010, 02:18 PM
Oh so very sorry to read about Prince, thinking of you.:hug:

Margaret C
20th March 2010, 03:24 PM
I am so sorry.

sins
20th March 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of Prince's passing.He was truly loved and had a marvellous life with you.
I know you'd have preferred to have had him at home with you,but his welfare came first and he was in the right place if medical intervention could have helped.

Sins

Daisy's Mom
20th March 2010, 03:37 PM
I am so sad to hear about Prince. So, so sorry. He was very lucky to have a loving mom and a loving home. Please take comfort from that. He looked like a real sweetie from his pictures.

Spangly
20th March 2010, 03:51 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about Prince. You must be totally devastated. We are thinking of you.

Cathy T
20th March 2010, 04:02 PM
I am so so sorry to hear about Prince. You did everything you could for him and you were so fortunate to have each other. My deepest sympathies.

Sabby
20th March 2010, 04:50 PM
I am so sorry. You are in my thought at this sad time.:hug::hug:

Shivers
20th March 2010, 04:56 PM
Thank you all for you kind words. He really was a special dog and we loved him to bits. Glen (my OH) is away with work and Prince was his dog more than anybody's and he is really heartbroken that he wasnt here. The kids loved him as well. My older boy is 11 and he is away this weekend and Ryan is not quite 3 yet and he doesnt understand, he keeps asking when are we collecting Prince and I dont know what to say.
We really did love him. He was a great dog and had a great personality. Poor Belle is lost without him already.

Cathy Moon
20th March 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss of Prince. :(

It's so difficult with your little one asking questions, too, you just want to protect them from loss and sadness at that age. Maybe the children can make a memory book or poster with pictures they've drawn of Prince and some photos? It might make it a little easier for them. :hug::flwr::hug:

emsley
20th March 2010, 05:46 PM
I'm so very, very sorry to hear this news of poor Prince.

meljoy
20th March 2010, 06:01 PM
I am so sorry to hear this news. Sending hugs and best wishes to you:hug::hug::hug:

Desrae
20th March 2010, 09:13 PM
Oh dear, I'm so so very very sorry.

Nicki
20th March 2010, 09:37 PM
oh my goodness what a dreadful shock for you all - our thoughts are with you.

As Karlin saysy, you did all the right things so please try not to feel guilty that Prince was not at home with you - I'm sure if the vets had thought this might happen they would have sent him home to you.

I think the memory book and pictures are a lovely idea.

Take care - it's so hard that your husband is away - I hope he is home soon.

Tania
20th March 2010, 09:57 PM
I am so sorry this happened, we are sending you love and cuddles :hug:

diddy
20th March 2010, 11:11 PM
Oh no. I'm so very sorry. Our thoughts are with you.

Claire L
21st March 2010, 12:58 AM
Siobhan, I am so so sorry to read that your precious boy Prince has gone to the bridge. Please know that you and the family are in my thoughts and prayers at this very very sad time.:hug::hug:

tupup
21st March 2010, 01:26 AM
Oh Siobhan im so so sorry to hear this,please be kind to yourself & know you couldnt have done more than you did.Thinking of you :flwr::hug:

cb2u
21st March 2010, 04:04 AM
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry ... how devastating. :(

Rj Mac
21st March 2010, 09:27 AM
We are so very sorry for your loss :hug::hug:

Bet
21st March 2010, 10:51 AM
Siobhan,

I cant add anymore than what has been said,the only thing is Prince,did not have to linger and suffer.

Bet

tara
22nd March 2010, 12:48 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss.

Thelly
22nd March 2010, 06:49 PM
Siobhan, it's taken me a while to type as I just couldn't find the words. I was so upset when I heard the news about Prince. He was so very special and thank god he had such a wonderful home with you. You did so much for him. He came to us as a well rounded, misunderstood doggie and when I met him again with you as his mom he was a confident, slim doggie and Belles best friend.

We are so sorry to hear this news. We are thinking of you :hug:

casshon
22nd March 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope you and Belle are coping ok - I know you will both miss Prince immensely :flwr:

The Rouge Princess
22nd March 2010, 07:40 PM
I'm very sorry to hear the news on Prince.

Our thoughts are with you all at this difficult time :hug:

xxx

Sandrac
23rd March 2010, 01:10 PM
So sorry to hear that Prince has gone to the bridge. His memory will stay in your heart forever.:hug:

amanda L
23rd March 2010, 01:36 PM
Siobhan, I am so sorry to hear this news, you and your family are in my thoughts at this very difficult time.

Andy's mum
23rd March 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm really, really sorry...

brid kenny
23rd March 2010, 08:00 PM
Siobhan I am so sorry to read this. It sounds like your baby was in a special home with you guys.

patg
23rd March 2010, 11:29 PM
Siobhan,
I am so sorry for the loss of Prince. I hope the great memories you have will replace the grief you feel.
Pat G

Shivers
24th March 2010, 12:10 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. It has been a really hard few days. I cant even believe this has happened. We will miss our boy so much, we are missing him so much already.

lorebringer
26th March 2010, 08:54 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. You'll be in my thoughts
:hug: