PDA

View Full Version : Answer on cavalier health statistics

Bet
21st March 2010, 10:45 AM
Karlin ,

Please could I be allowed to answer this Question from the CC List ,(I Resigned from it, I am particular about the Company I mix with!!).

I was asked about my knowledge in saying that when 50% of of Cavaliers had a Heart Murmur ,42%, were Carriers, 8% Clear.

I had contacted Dr M.Willis ,the World Wide Well Known Geneticist asking him how would the 50% Figures be broken down for Carriers, this was his Reply.

He even wrote an Article in Dog World about this..

What is with some Cavalier Breeders ,do they want to keep the Fact from the Public that the Cavalier Breed suffers from Health Problems.

Is the Bottom Line ,that some of those Breeders are scared they lose some of their Income if they are not able to sell their Surplus Cavalier Puppies to the Public.

Bet

Bet
21st March 2010, 11:04 AM
Sorry about this, meant to say, was this why there was such an Uproar in the Cavalier World from some Cavalier Breeders after the Showing of the Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Film.

Were they Scared that the General Public would now realize that the Cavaliers have such Serious Health Problems.

That the TV Film brought them to the Publics' Attention.

Sorry about taking away from the original Thread ,but I was Challenged ,and had to give an Answer.

Bet

Karlin
21st March 2010, 02:00 PM
Hi Bet: I have put this into a separate thread so that the original thread doesn't go off-topic. :thmbsup:

Thanks for the information on the source and percentages on this health issue.

Bet
21st March 2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks Karlin for lettig me put my Answer on another Thread.

I was concerned about using the 'A''s Thread, but I really felt I had to set the Record Right about what was being said about me on the CC List

Could I just say Thanks Rod for your Post about me on it.

This is what I have wondered as well ,..

Why is it that some Cavalier Breeders seem afraid of me in what I say about Sticking up for our Beloved Cavalier Breed .

I just can't Suss out what is at the Bottom of all the Agro I get Hurled at Me.

Is it because I have a Mind of My Own, and don't fit into any Pattern ,and say what I think about the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed.

And have been a Cavalier Pet Owner,who has said ,like the Saying goes ,the Emperor Has no Clothes on, in connection with the Health Problems Afflicting Cavaliers.

Bet

Teresa
21st March 2010, 07:14 PM
Hi, I think more should be done for the good of the breed, I'm very lucky to have a very healthy active eight year old Cavalier - no heart murmour showing as yet and otherwise very healthy.

I've just bought a new puppy and it took months to find a breeder I was happy to buy from, her lines are very healthy and she does all the health checks to help lessen the risk of passing on big problems. She is a lovely breeder and we have chatted at length about the changes in mindset that is needed to help the breed.

The tv program highlighted the problems that all pedigree dogs have but Cavaliers are fantastic dogs and I wouldn't have anything else.

Maybe more people do need to get involved and speak up!!

Bet
22nd March 2010, 12:00 PM
Yes Teresa ,this why Ive spent the past 20 years of my Life trying to get through to some Cavalier Breeders about the seriousness of the MVD Problem afflicting the Cavalier Breed so that Cavaliers could be given the chance of Living Longer , Healthier Lives ,if only Cavalier Breeders would not Mate Cavaliers who had a Heart Condition.

It's been a lonely Battle.

It was told to Cavalier Breeders 1n 1983, 27 years ago, by Dr P. Darke, the UK CKCS Club Cardiologist ,warning them ,after he had carried out several Surveys at Cavalier Shows , how wide-spread the Heart problem was in the Breed.

Now 27 years on ,at the Recent UK CKCS CLUB AGM, it was mentioned ,that 50% of Cavaliers will have a Heart Murmur at 5 Years of Age,and this is no better than it was 18 years ago.

When-ever I mention the Cavaliers' SM or MVD Health Problems ,I am Ridiculed by a number of Cavalier Breeders.

It's as if I am like a Drug to them , they read what I Post, and they can get a Fix by Answering me back.

If that is what gives them a Thrill , then for the sake of speaking out for our Cherished Cavalier Breeds' Health Troubles , I will take all the Insults Thrown at me ,so that it makes the Cavalier Buying Public aware about always asking to see a Health Certificate from a Cavalier Breeder to prove that Health Tests have been carried out on their Cavalier Breeding Stock, before they buy a Cavalier

Bet.