• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hi from Hampshire UK

My name's Amanda; I'm mum to a beautiful 10yr old black and tan boy, who is glossy, smiley and loves life, but is now in the final stages of congestive heart failure, having been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Insufficiency just over 2 years ago. We're so glad we insured him as a pup, because it meant he could be referred to a top quality Cardiologist, who has been taking excellent care of him, and has made himself available to me via his mobile phone 24/7 if I am at all concerned.

I'm originally from Caterham, Surrey, but moved to the Isle of Wight in 1985, and lived there till 1997 when we moved to Hampshire, living near the Hampshire/Dorset border.

I've been married to Dave for nearly 27 years, and, as well as my black and tan little boy, have a son of 20, a daughter of 16, an obese 10yo tabby cat, 2 chickens and 4 rabbits. I work as an examinations invigilator at the local high school, and do admin work for my husband's business (he is an artist and art teacher).

Hi and icon_welcome Amanda. Thats quite a collection of little furries you have there. What is your B/T boy called?

He's called Flinty. We got him from the breeder at 7 months old, and that was already his name. The breeder was a judge herself, and had kept Flinty on for longer because he was such a special sensitive boy and she wanted a really special home for him, and had also been showing him. He was sired by Champion Culverhill Pickpocket from Wiltshire, who was actually a ruby. His mum was black and tan though.

Hello and welcome, when you have some free time it would be lovely to see some pictures,
Flinty sounds a gorgous boy. icon_welcome

Hi Amanda andicon_welcome I also have a 10 year old in a few days blenheim called Jasper who also has MVD. I live in the next county to you Dorset. Love to see some photos.

Here's Flinty!

13932_229416538477_607348477_423276.jpg

Hi Mumofflinty. Jasper was diagnosed with a heart murmur of grade 2 at about 8 yrs old, he starting coughing in December 2008 when we took him to vets again about it, he was put of 1 Fortekor tablet daily and various doses of Frusemide tablet to control the fluid round his heart, he takes 1/4 every other day now. He had further tests - ECG and scan last year when they were concerned about sound of heart. Jasper on the whole is well, still enjoys his food and loves his walks. Flinty is lovely, I really like the black and tans. How does the MVD effect him?

Last edited:
Sorry to bring the thread down, but Flinty died suddenly last night. He was on meds, seemed to be doing well, considering, but we are stunned at the moment, and very very sad. I don't know if I will be back, it's so painful right now.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You must be absolutely devastated at the moment. If you feel strong enough to come back on here I know you will get lots of support from everyone.

mumoflflinty I am so sorry to read your thread, you must be in great shock. Thinking of you and your family at this sad time and sending you big hugs, take care.:hug:

I am so sorry to hear about your dear pup.

It is so hard to lose a member of your family like Flinty must have been. Cavaliers are so special. I am sure you have all sorts of support and MANY wonderful memories to pull from. Know that you sre being thought of from as far away as California USA. I can anoly tell you time heals the wound and leaves a smile. Take care of yourselves, Sincerely Susan

Back