View Full Version : What I've always feared :(
21st March 2010, 11:16 PM
So we took Murphy to the park earlier..and on the way home he started walking funny on one of his back legs.
He has been asleep since we got in (lazy) but I just let him out for a pee and he was fine when he trotted along fastly but when he walked back slowly it seems to be some kind of limp.
Now I have checked in his paws for gravel/stones etc and there is nothing there so obviously its his leg.
Me and Mum are taking him to the vets tommorow..
I am scared incase its the hip or knee diseases cavies can get..
Does anyone have any experience or advice for me please?
21st March 2010, 11:49 PM
Don't panic! He might have twisted his leg or something like that. The two conditions you are thinking of are Hip Dysplasia and Luxating Patella (Dislocating Knee).
Wait until you get a diagnosis from the vet, let us know, there are lots of people here who can offer
you help and advice if he has developed one of these conditions.
22nd March 2010, 01:03 AM
It could as noted just be a twist... but otherwise is most likely something like luxating patella especially if Murphy is still in the 6 month to 2 year age range. Generally you start to see patella problems by the time the dog is around 1-ish. A vet can tell very quickly if a patella is the problem. Hopefully you will know after your visit and fingers crossed it is just something very minor like a bit of overexertion. :xfngr:
If the problem is a patella, you will be told a grade from 1 to 5 or 6 (depending on the vet). With a grade 1-2 often the knees in a young dog will 'tighten' but the dog needs to be kept from running around and jumping on and off furniture etc. Also it is important that the dog be kept lean with no extra weight as this places a lot of extra pressure on knee joints. Vets generally will recommend surgery for dogs with a grade 3 or above, or a 2 moving towards a 3. There are lots of posts about the surgery here with recommendations for managing a dog that has had the surgery. Hips can be more involved.
Best advice is not to get worried if you can help it and wait to see what the vet says, as it may be really minor. :thmbsup: Whatever the feedback, someone here has probably had the experience themselves and can tell you more.
Best of luck and let us know what the vet says.
22nd March 2010, 12:36 PM
It could as noted just be a twist... but otherwise is most likely something like luxating patella especially if Murphy is still in the 6 month to 2 year age range.
Murphy is 5, but I have had him for 6months, I am taking him to the vets tonight so I will let you know as soon as I get in
thank you everyone
22nd March 2010, 02:12 PM
Hi Murphys Mum
My Rosie last year came out her crate badly limping one time ,took her to the vets and he diagnosed L. P. and suggested operation ,came back and read everything on CT and sought advice from members then decided to wait and see what happens and Rosie has had no problem since .So don't always jump to what your vet says have a think, take advice and observe your Cav and read everything ,then decide.:)
22nd March 2010, 05:54 PM
That's sound advice from a few previous posters. Wait a while and then decide. It might have been just a twist as aforementioned. Good Luck and let us know how Murphy is doing.
22nd March 2010, 05:57 PM
Im really upset now.
Mum is refusing to take Murphy to the vets as she says its not that bad..So I said well you just don't know and its better safe than sorry..
She said she wants to wait 48 hours..but now it has already been 24hours since the limp started.
I am so upset and angry at my mum.
22nd March 2010, 06:17 PM
It's a difficult one - maybe rest him for a day or so and see how he is then - make a note of how it happened and how has has been since, especially noting that it wasn't obvious when he ran, and take that with you to the vet.
Do you have a cage or puppy pen or anything? That is good for them to rest - try not to let him jump about.
22nd March 2010, 07:56 PM
Hi all..feeling better now..calmed down..
Murphy's leg is just swollen and I took him out for a walk and he's fine just a bit wobbly..
Going to keep him very well exercised so his leg doesn't go stiff or anything..
But as soon as he lets us know he is in pain he is going straight to the vets..
You are all very very supportive and I really appreciate it!!
thank you all..
22nd March 2010, 08:39 PM
Glad to hear Murphy's feeling better. A good non-drug anti-inflammatory (which I take myself when I wake up stiff after a night's camping! And also use on my own Cavaliers if they strain a muscle or bruise themselves) is Devil's Claw Extract - you can get it from health shops. Usually for bruising/inflammation it helps to rest them for a day or two.
Kate, Oliver and Aled
22nd March 2010, 09:20 PM
MurphysMummy, let him walk around the house and garden but don't let him run about and I wouldn't take him for walks for a few days, to give him time to heal.
The Devil's claw is a good suggestion - you could also try the homoeopathic remedy Arnica - that is good for bruising and swelling.
Obviously if you are worried at any time, you should consult your vet.
22nd March 2010, 11:09 PM
If his leg is swollen you don't want to exercise him at all, but give him lots of rest and keep him from doing too much (eg crate him or confine him). If his leg is swollen it sounds like he twisted it perhaps? Don't be too upset with your mum; it isn;t a bad idea as he doesn't seem in a lot of discomfort, and it may well be that a couple of quiet days will reduce the swelling and he'll recover on his own.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.