PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: 4 cavs Enfield Dog Rescue

hannahpanda
22nd March 2010, 07:22 PM
Say hello to Brandy & Red. They are two little ex-breeding dogs who are desperate for someone to love them and give them a fresh start. They are 8yrs and 5yrs and are neutered/spayed and microchipped. They are very affectionate and love walks and rides in the car. If you would like any more information on these dogs please call:
0208 886 4117 or 07956 468706
Thanks!
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq276/buzzbabee/SarahandRed.jpg

This is Sonny & Sarah who are ex-breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They are both 5yrs old. They just love people and are very friendly just looking for someone to love them back! They enjoy walking and are good in the car. They are neutered/spayed and microchipped. As always we are looking for a very special home. If you would like any more information on these two please call:
0208 886 4117 or 07956 468706
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq276/buzzbabee/BrandyandSonny.jpg

Karlin
22nd March 2010, 07:27 PM
Ah what a gorgeous group. :)

misty
22nd March 2010, 08:28 PM
awwwwwww - and a b & t :).

Thank DoG we're full at the inn ;), particularly as I'm going down south next week.

Nicki
22nd March 2010, 09:04 PM
Unusual to find so many Rubies and a B&T in rescue so it's a good opportunity for someone...

Hope they soon find homes.

Zoe bowie
22nd March 2010, 11:45 PM
They are sooo cute, I love the b&t faces it's as if they have batman masks on!! To be honest I love all ckcs!! Hope these get their homes

gentess1
23rd March 2010, 07:53 AM
Can someone educate me. Why would the breeders be allowed to give up ex breeding dogs ?

milandmais
23rd March 2010, 08:57 AM
Gentess,

These 'ex-breeding' dogs come into rescue due to them having there 'quota' of litters and are surplus to requirements by the breeder when they can no longer produce puppies for whatever reason.The breeder has legal ownership of them so I guess that they can do what they like with them.I personally think that it's a step in the right diretion that some (not all) breeders give their ex breeders to rescues to find loving and permanent homes for them as not all of them are so lucky and get passed from breeder to breeder ( to be a puppy machine) or worse still PTS,which obviously does'nt bear thinking about.:eek:

I have come across this myself when we 'rescued' our little Megan last year.The man on the phone said that she was a happy confident girl (she was'nt an ex breeder but had been bred and sold by him 3 years ago but returned) and that she was playing in the back garden with his other 13 dogs.On the hour journey to look at her me and my partner were excited and thinking she must be in a massive backgarden happily having fun with her 13 friends.thinking he must have a large house/garden in the coutryside we were a little bemused when pulling up outside the house it was a terraced (small house adjoing both neighbours) I was intrigued to find out where he kept 14 cavaliers??????.He let us in the back gate and there they were, 14 of them kept in the back garden of a terraced house:eek:,It was smelly,dirty, small and I could'nt beleive my eyes.To cut a long story short He was a breeder,(there was a newborn litter in the kitchen).I asked him if me and my partner could go outside to have a little talk to decide what to do and he replied.....................

"If you are not sure about her or don't want her then it's no skin off my nose I will just breed her myself and then sell her on to another breeder"

You can obviously imagine our horrified reaction and with that, heart ruling the head she came home with us as there was not a chance that she was staying there.she sat on my lap on the journey home and i thought OMG!!! what the hell have we just done.These are the nightmare people who you should steer clear from.But on the other hand I would have never slept knowing that we had the chance to take that baby out of that situation and we did'nt..................................she has now blossomed into the most beautiful girl and we would not swap her for anything in the world.:l*v:

Justine
23rd March 2010, 10:13 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhh,arnt the 4 to die for.So lovely.

Molski
23rd March 2010, 10:14 AM
Gentess,

These 'ex-breeding' dogs come into rescue due to them having there 'quota' of litters and are surplus to requirements by the breeder when they can no longer produce puppies for whatever reason.The breeder has legal ownership of them so I guess that they can do what they like with them.I personally think that it's a step in the right diretion that some (not all) breeders give their ex breeders to rescues to find loving and permanent homes for them as not all of them are so lucky and get passed from breeder to breeder ( to be a puppy machine) or worse still PTS,which obviously does'nt bear thinking about.:eek:

I have come across this myself when we 'rescued' our little Megan last year.The man on the phone said that she was a happy confident girl (she was'nt an ex breeder but had been bred and sold by him 3 years ago but returned) and that she was playing in the back garden with his other 13 dogs.On the hour journey to look at her me and my partner were excited and thinking she must be in a massive backgarden happily having fun with her 13 friends.thinking he must have a large house/garden in the coutryside we were a little bemused when pulling up outside the house it was a terraced (small house adjoing both neighbours) I was intrigued to find out where he kept 14 cavaliers??????.He let us in the back gate and there they were, 14 of them kept in the back garden of a terraced house:eek:,It was smelly,dirty, small and I could'nt beleive my eyes.To cut a long story short He was a breeder,(there was a newborn litter in the kitchen).I asked him if me and my partner could go outside to have a little talk to decide what to do and he replied.....................

"If you are not sure about her or don't want her then it's no skin off my nose I will just breed her myself and then sell her on to another breeder"

You can obviously imagine our horrified reaction and with that, heart ruling the head she came home with us as there was not a chance that she was staying there.she sat on my lap on the journey home and i thought OMG!!! what the hell have we just done.These are the nightmare people who you should steer clear from.But on the other hand I would have never slept knowing that we had the chance to take that baby out of that situation and we did'nt..................................she has now blossomed into the most beautiful girl and we would not swap her for anything in the world.:l*v:

Megan was a lucky little lady the day you and your partner walked into her life . These people are unbelievable !!! 14 dogs in a small terraced house !! :x

Brian M
23rd March 2010, 11:16 AM
Hi

Just phoned them and Mary gave the following details

Barny is an 8 yr old ruby boy and he is the dad of

Red a 5 yr old ruby and his sister
Sarah another 5 yr old ruby

and then there is

Sonny the stunning 5 yr old b&t boy

They have all been spayed and had dentals and would love to meet caring members
of Cavaliertalk witha view to permanent residence .

Anybody interested they all sound absolutely superb ,pls contact Mary and just mention my name (thats guaranteed to get you nowhere :confused:) I told her I was a member of CT and any/all our members would make them ideal homes.:)

MurphysMummy
23rd March 2010, 05:14 PM
Wow they are lovely and beautiful..Wish I could give all 4 of them a home right here :(

Brian M
23rd March 2010, 09:23 PM
Hi
I thought there would be lots of interest in these four after last week when lots of members seemed interested in taking and helping the 7 that were on the pre-loved website .I am lost and cant understand why we dont have even one person interested am I missing something will somebody pls explain to me :(

Sabby
23rd March 2010, 11:02 PM
Hi
I thought there would be lots of interest in these four after last week when lots of members seemed interested in taking and helping the 7 that were on the pre-loved website .I am lost and cant understand why we dont have even one person interested am I missing something will somebody pls explain to me :(

I am thinking about fostering but I couldn’t commit into giving a dog a permanent home at the moment. My head has to rule my heart for a change. Believe me I would love to have them all.

Wagtails
24th March 2010, 09:06 AM
Hi

I think the difference is that these dogs are already in a Rescue, Brian, whereas we were all fearful that the Preloved dogs stood in grave danger of being sold on for breeding and might end up as puppy farm dogs. Most of the offers were for temporary foster homes only I think.

I now have regular updates from Preloved about any Cavs advertised "Free", and have already sent a message to one such person about the dangers of unscrupulous breeders getting their hands on such dogs and the advantages of giving the dog to a reputable Rescue. Does anyone else do this for any of the other Free Ad sites?

Should I always post a thread on here too in case anyone can help?

Brian M
24th March 2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Marie Anne and Sabby

And thank you for the clarification which of course in my haste to try and think of a way to help, I didn't consider your valid comment that they are already in rescue and we hope therefore out of the clutches of horrible unscrupulous breeders ,and of course we all wish them good health ,happiness and long term security for the future .:)

misty
24th March 2010, 01:47 PM
Brian, I'd been thinking about your post as I drove to work and was going to reply at lunchtime, but Wagtails has posted what I was going to say :).

We're at our personal maximum for pet dogs, but would always find a foster space for a little one to prevent them getting into the wrong hands.

Fifer
24th March 2010, 04:48 PM
I think the difference is that these dogs are already in a Rescue, Brian, whereas we were all fearful that the Preloved dogs stood in grave danger of being sold on for breeding and might end up as puppy farm dogs. Most of the offers were for temporary foster homes only I think.

I now have regular updates from Preloved about any Cavs advertised "Free", and have already sent a message to one such person about the dangers of unscrupulous breeders getting their hands on such dogs and the advantages of giving the dog to a reputable Rescue. Does anyone else do this for any of the other Free Ad sites?

Should I always post a thread on here too in case anyone can help?

Although I agree with most of that, the danger lies in everybody contacting the "seller" and scaring them off! Keeping it low key, friendly, offering your help/support and wishing them "Good luck" whilst also contacting likely rescues in the area to alert them to the ad, will prove much more effective. Most people will refuse to hand over to rescue if they believe the dog will go into kennels, so the best route always is to advise a rescue where all dogs are fostered.

As a matter of interest there have been 8 cavs offered FTGH on the P******d site this week, Kaley being just one of them, and one out of eight safe to rescue is good odds. We can't demand that people hand them over to rescue, these dogs belong to the owner, but we can use persuasion and friendly support.:thmbsup:

Wagtails
28th March 2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your reply, Fifer.

I agree that it's probably best to alert rescues to these FTGH ads if we see them and leave it to their expertise to try to get them out of any situation where they might end up with unscrupulous breeders. I wonder if Karlin would consider mentioning a few more general UK rescues which would always help in such situations on the sticky at the top of the Breed Rescue section? I have a feeling that it is sometimes difficult to get the breed rescue groups to take them on.

I'll PM her about it - and will also PM you about Kaley.

Many thanks and good luck, Marie-Anne

hannahpanda
4th April 2010, 10:07 AM
It looks like all four are still waiting :(

Fifer
4th April 2010, 10:24 AM
Probably with Easter hols approaching people were reluctant to take on new pets? The restriction on rehoming to London and the home counties will put many out of their area perhaps?

I can't find them on Enfield Rescue site under dogs for rehoming though, is there somewhere else they are listed?:confused: A direct link is always easier for people to check whether dogs are still available or not.

Karlin
4th April 2010, 05:38 PM
Speaking from experience, no matter how lovely the dogs, it is hard to home pairs. It is even harder to home pairs of breeding dogs that may need some special work, as seems to be implied here.

I rarely ever home dogs to people already on the board -- meaning that people on the board already owning dogs do not generally apply for rescues, and this would be the case for most animal welfare/pet boards I know -- active members already have the dogs they want and can manage. I think it would be very rare for anyone already a member to have the ability to add two more dogs to their household -- most would not be able to add one. Far more likely that someone browsing the site for a rescue might see the posts and apply. About 12,000 unique visitors come to this site monthly, including members, but active members make up a small number of those. So there's quite a lot of page views (typically about 20-30,000 monthly) of which often, they are rescue posts. I'd guess quite a few dogs have been homed by people checking for rescues and applying.

In other words, Brian, others here have not applied for these dogs for the same reason you have not applied for them. :thmbsup:

Tania
4th April 2010, 10:29 PM
I have a feeling that it is sometimes difficult to get the breed rescue groups to take them on.

I have a book covering the whole of the UK with a list of all the breed rescue Centres. I could let Enfield Rescue have a list of the CKSS Breed Rescues, if the CKSS Rescue Centres can't take them on they might have people waiting and might be able to help.

Karlin
5th April 2010, 11:46 AM
Has anyone actually contacted the rescue directly? Many rescues do not update their sites on a regular basis. A new board member contacted them and was told they would reply within 24 hours if the dogs still needed a home. She has had no response so I would guess all of these may have been homed a while ago.

If people wish to post updates on dogs, which can be very helpful, please do so by directly contacting the rescue for information unless the rescue is known to constantly update its website (eg Many Tears is usually pretty accurate). Listings on many sites are often very out of date and the fact that dogs remain listed isn't really a good guide as to whether they are homed or not. I am very happy to get updates :) -- but I'd rather make sure the information is accurate before a post is made soliciting further help or interest in a given dog. :thmbsup: No point in wasting time rallying support or spreading the word on dogs that no longer need help or homes.

Tania
5th April 2010, 01:13 PM
I have phoned the lady. All of the dogs are still there. I offered her CKCS Breed Rescue numbers but sher wouldn't entertain any help.

hannahpanda
5th April 2010, 02:51 PM
Probably with Easter hols approaching people were reluctant to take on new pets? The restriction on rehoming to London and the home counties will put many out of their area perhaps?

I can't find them on Enfield Rescue site under dogs for rehoming though, is there somewhere else they are listed?:confused: A direct link is always easier for people to check whether dogs are still available or not.

They are not listed on the website. Direct links here :) although as someone else has said they may not always be updated
http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=220793
http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=220791

wilco7
5th April 2010, 07:40 PM
I spoke to Mary this morning. She has been inundated with calls over the weekend and says she will decide what to do over the coming week. She is unsure whether to rehome them in pairs or individually. She has had a lot of interest particularly in Barney the 8 year old. Will let you know if I hear anymore this week.

tanztanya
17th April 2010, 10:36 PM
did all of these cavalier's find homes??

wilco7
18th April 2010, 04:57 PM
I never had a call back from Mary so no idea I'm afraid.

Karlin
18th April 2010, 11:25 PM
If anyone is interested, always directly ring the rescue. Most of these are posted by third parties, not people connected with a given rescue. :)

None of these dogs are still listed on their website: http://www.enfielddogrescue.co.uk/dogs_28.html so I am sure all are homed.

Incidentally if people post dogs to the forum, please always include a direct link to the listing for the dog on the original website. :thmbsup: