• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eleven year old scanned SM clear

Margaret C

Today I drove to Wimbledon with a cavalier owner and her two eleven year old litter sisters.

They were MRI scanned, aand although one little cavalier did have SM, the other ltricolour sister had no syrinx and is therefore free of syringomyelia.

Can you imagine how much this will help the gene research?

The owner was delighted to have the chance to contribute to the research, and to know more about the SM status of her older dogs.

Rupert's Fund paid for the scans.
The owner would like to thank all those that have donated the money that made this possible.

Oh wow Margaret....that is excellent news!!! It's so neat to hear the results of where the Rupert Fund money is going and what the results are.

cl*pcl*p

That is really exciting and will help with the EBVs enormously, too. I hope many more clears turn up, and also hope the SM on the other dog was minor. Thanks to all your donations which have made obtaining this enornously beneficial information possible!:thnku:

My Lucy (a Roycroft dog) also scanned fully clear at 9 and a half and learning this was the case was wonderful for me and my family, of course, but also meant so much to the original breeder and has helped her with her own breeding program. Getting such information has so much value -- for the owners, the researchers, the breeder and other breeders using those lines.

Oh that is just fantastic - I'm so thrilled for the breeder, that was good of them to have dogs of that age scanned :)

Sorry to hear that one of the sisters was affected - I hope that it's not too severe.

Thank you everyone for supporting Rupert's Fund, it's great that enough money has been raised to pay for so many scans already.

Well done to the Lady who volunteered her 11 year olds.I imagine it was not a decision she took lightly but it was very generous of her.Hopefully the fund will go from strength to strength.
Sins

Yes it was wonderful of the owner; she had her dogs okayed by a vet first too. :)

The researchers say these are two extremely valuable dogs for the genome work as they are siblings, have different results, and are 11, and one is fully clear at such a great age. I know we all hope there will be many more clear seniors to come! cl*p

Eleven year old Scanned Clear

The more you think about this Result ,the more important it must be for the SM Researchers to have kind of information.

Does this prove how necessary it is to find the SM Gene/Genes.?

These are just my thoughts , but just supposing those Two Cavalier Litter Sisters had the same type of Head .then would the one with SM probably have the SM Gene.

I know that the EBV Program will hopefully lessen the Incidence of SM and MRI Scanning all Cavalier Breeding Stock,but it's really the finding of the SM Gene/Genes that could save the Cavalier Breed.

Bet

Back