• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hi my name is jenny and my cavalier is jazzy.

hello, my cavalier is a lil girl she is 8months old. she is a great cavalier i couldn't ask for a better dog. i was on the forum about the sm that cavaliers get. it normally happens when there about 2years old. im a little on the edge with this cuz some sits that researchers have say that it could come form getting our cavaliers there shots cuz it mixes with there brain fluid and this is cousin there skull to stop growing. i got jazzy all of the important shots like the parvo,bortatella,and the corona,im just trying to play it safe! thanks for reading if anyone has any info on the sm. i would love to hear from u thanks.:)

Hi and welcome. :)

I am not sure which forum you mean, but it sounds like you are not getting real information but a mix of guessing and misinformation on SM, or else maybe are not finding the explanations to be very clear? you can get accurate information on SM at www.smcavalier.com, www.cavalierhealth.org, http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/faq.htm, www.cavaliercampaign.com that will help clarify some of what you have read or understood.

Don;t worry, regular vaccinations don't mix with brain fluid -- it is just that SM dogs can be very sensitive around the neck due to this condition and thus many neurologists suggest it is better to give cavaliers their injections in the thigh. Injections also do not stop their skull from growing.

SM most commonly will appear by age 3-4 but can appear at any time as it is a progressive disease. The evidence is that probably half or more of cavaliers probably will develop it though many and probably most will not have symptoms. But it is a very serious concern in the breed. Most cavaliers do have CM, the skull malformation.

Your dog only needs bordatella vaccinations if she is going into kennels -- generally this is given up the nose. There is more information on vaccinations in the health library.

Hi Jenny. Karlin and Tania's suggestions are very good, you'll get a lot answers to your questions from there. Look around the site and the SM forum and just read as much as you can about the condition. The key to understanding anything is educating yourself, so you've started at the right place!
icon_welcome

Back