• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Geordie - MRI

Cathy Moon

On Wednesday we took Geordie to Ohio State U for an MRI, as we've noted his symptoms are worsening - the gabapentin seems to wear off sooner than his next dose.

On Wednesday he had his neurology and cardiology exams, then he stayed overnight and had his MRI on Thursday afternoon. I was so worried to leave him there, worried about his pill schedule, and his shyness with others, etc., but it was needless worry - he was under the direct care of Dr. Foss in Neurology, who was there to see him get his 10pm pills and late potty break Wednesday night, and she was there at 6am for his pills and potty as well. She even described how he does his little body wag of pleasure when he sees his pills wrapped in cheese coming his way. When she told me that on the phone, I knew he was in good hands!! In Geordie's discharge summary, she wrote, "Geordie was a very good boy and a pleasure to work with!" And when she handed him back to us Thursday evening, my shy little boy put his front paws on her knees and 'kissed' her goodbye.

Geordie's MRI shows that he has severe SM, meaning the syrinxes are severe, yet his neurological status is still very good in comparison with the severity of the MRI findings. Dr. Foss and Dr. da Costa are letting him try Lyrica in place of the Gabapentin. Hopefully we'll get the prescription today or Monday, as there was a mixup about the availability of a pediatric liquid suspension, which was approved in January but isn't on the market yet. Yesterday a prescription for the capsules was called in to our local pharmacy after I couldn't find the liquid formula anywhere. in the meantime, we're giving Geordie daily Metacam and Gabapentin, along with his Omeprazole and his heart med Enalapril.

We will be sending Geordie's records to both Dr. Rusbridge and Dr. Blott to use in their research.

Hope the Lyrica gives you guys some good results, Cathy!! Glad to hear that although his scan is not the greatest, his neurological findings are still good (in comparison).

I still think he's one of my favorite blenheim boys.. :hug: I'm glad you came back to posting :hug:

Poor little fellow :hug: I'll be interested to see how you get on wit the new drug Cathy. I hope you are ok, I know how stressful this experience can be.

Geordie-MRI

Cathy, Would you give Geordie a wee kiss from me.

Could I also say though ,what a dreadful diease SM is,we never had any of our Cavaliers suffer from it, MVD yes.

I have just received my UK CKCS CLUB Year Book, with many Photos of Cavaliers in it, and a good number looking like what I have mentioned , having Deep Stops, it even says in the Cavalier Club Standard that Cavaliers Should have Shallow Stops.

I suppose it will be too late to change that type of Head , that Gene giving this look will be in many Cavaliers now.

Sorry Geordie , for getting on my Soap Box, with this Post especially for you.

Bet

I'm sorry you got such a heartbreaking result from Geordie's MRI. Hopefully the Lyrica will help. I don't know how old Geordie is, but I'm just curious if Dr. Foss recommended surgery. I know Charlie had decompression surgery and you may be loathe to go through that experince again, and maybe Geordie's heart is not strong enough for surgery either. Just curious mainly to see at what point most neurologists recommend either going the surgical route or the medication route.

I'm sorry you got such a heartbreaking result from Geordie's MRI. Hopefully the Lyrica will help. I don't know how old Geordie is, but I'm just curious if Dr. Foss recommended surgery. I know Charlie had decompression surgery and you may be loathe to go through that experince again, and maybe Geordie's heart is not strong enough for surgery either. Just curious mainly to see at what point most neurologists recommend either going the surgical route or the medication route.

Hi Bev, we didn't discuss surgery. Geordie will be 7 years old at the end of July. Dr. da Costa said Geordie's MRI scan is the worst he has seen so far. Also, on Wednesday, the cardiologist said Geordie's heart continues to gradually increase in size, and it has changed significantly from when he was first examined. His mitral valve has worsened since his last examination 4 months ago. His murmur is grade 4-5 and he is still not in congestive heart failure.

At one point during our discussion of Geordie's MRI results, I summoned up enough courage to ask Dr. Foss and Dr. da Costa if it is cruel to keep Geordie alive. Dr. da Costa assured me that Geordie's symptoms and neurological status are still very good in comparison to what the MRI scan shows. So as long as his pain meds work and his pain is controlled, he's in good shape.

I gave him his first Lyrica this morning, and he seems to be doing well. Not too sleepy, and he's going outside a lot to sniff around in the back yard.

Thanks for your response Cathy. I know every situation is different - for dogs as well as for people. Riley was diagnosed with severe and advanced SM as well as vestibular damage a month before her 6th birthday. She had decompression surgery then, but her neurologist told us that she was really right about at the cutoff age for surgery.

I'm sorry Geordie's heart is also an issue. When it rains it pours!! I know you will keep him comfortable and happy as long as you can. Sounds like he wants to stick around for a while though. Keep loving him!

Poor little Georgie, Molly, Dougall and Dotty send their cuddles and healing thoughts to you. :hug:

Back