• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lyrica for SM

Cathy Moon

Geordie has been taking Lyrica for two days now, and it appears to be working better than Gabapentin for him so far. Still watching closely and trying to be objective. He has completely stopped his bending/twisting behavior today (after his initial 6:00 am pill), he likes to be petted on both left and right sides, and he likes to be picked up and cuddled. He also seems much more bright eyed and active, much calmer and nicer at feeding times, too. He used to seem very desperate at mealtimes (similar to how Charlie, our other cavalier with SM was), and he wasn't that way when he was younger.

We're continuing to watch him, though, and he has a 2 week followup appointment with the neurologist. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:

That's great Cathy!! I know Terri saw a big difference with Friday on Lyrica. Fingers crossed for continued relief for Geordie.

oh thank goodness that's great news Cathy :D

I really hope it continues to work well for Geordie.

This is great news for you and Geordie Cathy and interesting to those with SM dogs. Is this available in the UK?

Yes, it is available in the UK -- Clare Rusbridge and other neurologists would regularly prescribe it for dogs when gabapentin isn't working very well. It is actually a stronger variation on gabapentin.

Great to see some positive signs Cathy. :hug: Fingers crossed this gives some helpful relief. :)

Have read the link you posted Karlin and am very impressed. I wonder if this is our next step.

It is definatly worth a try if results arent being seen on gabapentin. Ruby has been on it since september and is still doing fantastically well- some days i give her half the amount!

Im so pleased your results have been so quick- they were for us aswell, its my little miricle drug for sure

I hope he continues to do well on it!!!

Thanks for posting the link, Karlin.

Pregabalin/Lyrica is significantly more expensive than Gabapentin in the US, Gabapentin is on the government [subsidized?] list of generics at $.09 per capsule, while we've just paid $2.96 per capsule for Lyrica. I will call around when we get our next prescription filled to see if we can find a better price.

Geordie seems happier and more playful. He is staying in the same room with the rest of us, rather than going off to the bedroom to lie down in his favorite bed alone.

The main difference is that gabapentin is now a generic medication full stop and others can make it hence the price has dropped, while Lyrica will be under patent for some time yet and thus will remain expensive. Wow is that 2.96 per 25mg capsule (eg the lowest dose)? Ouch.

Gabapentin remains very costly in Ireland though and you can never find the generic version. :|

Ive found mine for £1.86 per capsule (50mg) which is by far the cheapest I have found but thats not very helpful for you on the other side of the pond :eek:

Wow is that 2.96 per 25mg capsule (eg the lowest dose)? Ouch.
Yes, basically it's costing $6.00 per day. :eek: This is a three month prescription right now, so the next time I'm going to spend a lot of time on the phone calling around for prices.

It will be interesting to compare the cost when the liquid formula is available. The neurologist would have liked for Geordie to be at a lower dose, but I think it would have been 3 times per day if we could have gotten the liquid suspension.

We've just been given permission to increase Geordie's Lyrica to every 8 hours. :( He has been bending and scratching again, and he stayed in his bed in our bedroom alone most of yesterday. I'm praying this will make him more comfortable.

He still has times when he runs and plays, though. I wonder if he and India play too rough. And I wonder if I should let him play with India outside, or let them outside separately so he won't run.

When our dogs have SM, should we treat them like they're injured and limit their activities -or- let them play, even though they pay for it later???

When our dogs have SM, should we treat them like they're injured and limit their activities -or- let them play, even though they pay for it later???

I'm so sorry to hear Geordie's having problems. Dylan's on Lyrica plus NSAIDs and furosemide and most of the time he limits himself and rarely plays with Harvey or runs about any more but when he does he pays for it later. I too worry how much should I restrict his activity whilst ensuring he still has some quality of life. I try to keep him as calm as possible and avoid situations where he may become stressful of excited.

I hope the increase in Lyrica helps Geordie.:hug:

Oh Cathy I'm so sorry - I really hoped this was the answer and Geordie would continue to do well.
:hug::hug:

That was always the eternal question for me - do you confine them so that they don't have such a good quality of life - or do you let them enjoy the time they have left?

We tried to strike a balance - Teddy until the last few weeks wanted to go for and enjoyed his walks - but we kept it to 2 or 3 per week, as it would make him worse.

That's all I can suggest - that you let them have some free time but not all the time.

Once you get to the point where you are confining them most of the time and they are not free to enjoy walks or the garden anymore, then that for me is not sufficient.

Hi Cathy, sorry to hear you are still having problems getting Geordie's meds sorted. Chaos is not on Lyrica yet, just as well really as I could not afford the price, and is still on Gabapentin. Was wondering if he was on any other type of medicine. Chaos is also on prednisolone, now reduced to 1/2 tab every other day and that did help, but not what you would want to add if you dont have to. I think the one thing that made a big difference to her though was the Tramadol which she now has twice a day. Before that she would also hide herself away and her eyes always looked so sad like she was in pain. Now I can see a big difference in her, her eyes are clear and sparkling and she seems altogether happier and does not take herself off on her own. I am not sure exactly what the difference is but think the different types of meds work on different symptoms or type of pain.
I do let her run free in the garden and walk her every day on a long lead and she really enjoys her walks and they do not seem to affect her afterwards. For the first part of the walk she travels in her stroller, I am not sure why she doesn't want to walk to begin with but she lets me know when she is ready to get out and then is off like a steam train. The one thing I now stop her from doing is swimming as that definitely affected her adversely. Six months ago I thought I would not have her much longer as she was so bad so I hope you can find the solution for Geordie.

Back