PDA

View Full Version : Teddy

Nicki
8th April 2010, 08:25 PM
Our precious Teddy Bear left us today, following a long and brave battle with Syringomyelia. :(:(

His quality of life was deteriorating and his pain was no longer well controlled, so we felt the time had come to sadly let him go. Our vet, whom has been so wonderful with treating Teddy, came to the house and euthanised him.

We feel that a part of us has gone too – he was a very special dog, and a last link with several of our other beloved companions whom have left us over the last few years.

Teddy came to live with us in April 2005 at 19 months of age – he had been living in an outside kennel and was not house trained, but he quickly learnt about living life indoors :) He was a wonderful companion to Rupert – they were very close.

I soon realised that something was not right – but even my vet could not believe that we would be so unlucky as to have TWO affected dogs {little did we know...}.

Teddy was MRI'd a year later – and we were shocked to discover that he was indeed moderate to severely affected. He started a program of treatment, having medication every 8 hours. We have been lucky in that until recently, every time he has taken a turn for the worse, we have found or been told about a new treatment or supplement which helped him. It has been an emotional rollercoaster, but when you love them this much, you do everything you can to help.

He was my soulmate – he always wanted to be wherever I was

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/Teddy14Apr2007-120.jpg

but was also very close to my husband.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/TeddyN-04Jun2006-206.jpg
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/TeddyN-04Jun2006-206.jpg%5B/IMG)

He loved to be involved in whatever you were doing.

I did show him once at a local agricultural show and he was Reserve Best in Show!! He wasn't very impressed with his trophy and rosettes LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/TeddyN-17Aug2006-248.jpg
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/TeddyN-17Aug2006-248.jpg%5B/IMG)

Celebrating his “Gotcha Day”

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/Party4_MG_0651.jpg
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/Party4_MG_0651.jpg%5B/IMG)

Now reunited with his best friend Cruz – this is how I like to remember them

http://www.pbase.com/trevorhughes/image/104644693/original.jpg

December 2009
http://www.pbase.com/trevorhughes/image/120999402/medium.jpg

We are just devastated at his loss – life seems very empty without him.

heather r
8th April 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm so saddened by your loss of Teddy . Your photos of him and the one with his pal Cruz are lovely and I'm sure you will treasure these photos as well as all the memories. However, I know this is a bittersweet period for you and your family so I'll send some:hug:. I will keep you in my prayers.

Heather R

sins
8th April 2010, 09:48 PM
I'm so sorry Nicki.
He was such a stunning cavalier.
Thanks for sharing the photographs with us.It's such a lovely tribute to him.I know he meant the world to you and your husband.
Sins

Shelli
8th April 2010, 09:54 PM
So sorry Nicki, you must be heartbroken :hug: :hug:
Thinking of you all at this difficult time :flwr:
Run free precious Teddy *ng*l

merello
8th April 2010, 09:54 PM
So sad to read your post, we had to make that decision on February this year ( our wee boy had MHD). It's such a hard decision to make even when you know it's for the good of your pet. I try to remind myself it was the last act of love for my wee boy letting him leave us but it still feels like your world is ending.

Sending you big hugs from all my family.

Carolx

Love my Cavaliers
8th April 2010, 10:22 PM
I can just picture Teddy and Cruz running at the Bridge just like in the picture. I am so sorry. I dread the day when I have to make that decision for one of my little loves. Run like the wind Teddy!

Molski
8th April 2010, 10:59 PM
My thoughts are with you at this very hard time , Run Free Teddy x

Sabby
8th April 2010, 11:05 PM
I am crying reading this post. I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now. Teddy was such a beautiful boy. Run free without any pain little Teddy.
Lots of :hug::hug: for you and your family.

tara
8th April 2010, 11:20 PM
I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Teddy was a gorgeous boy, both inside and out. I can tell what an important member of your family he was -- for some reason the photo of him with your husband really touched me. I am sorry for the hurt you feel right now, but am glad that Teddy is no longer in pain and that you gave him a peaceful and dignified goodbye. Again, so sorry for your loss.

Erin2854
8th April 2010, 11:42 PM
I am deeply sorry for your loss of your beautiful boy, I have tears running down my cheek as I type this. Your pictures are gorgeous, the love both you and your husband had for him shines through in them. Losing a furry child is beyond heartbreaking, I've gone through it a few times myself and unfortunately only time helps soften the blow but your heart always aches for them. God bless you and your family.

pippa
9th April 2010, 01:12 AM
Nicki....

I am so very sorry:(

Thinking of you and your husband.

Cathy T
9th April 2010, 03:06 AM
I am so incredibly sad Nicki. Ted-Bear was such a gorgeous and special boy. You have been far more in the past couple of years than any dog owner should ever have to bear. So many losses of so many wonderful dogs. It just hurts so bad to know that Teddy is gone, but I love picturing him running with Cruz. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers right now.

Fifer
9th April 2010, 07:08 AM
So sorry to hear this news. Run free Teddy.

Sandrac
9th April 2010, 09:24 AM
Nicki, so sorry to hear that you have had to give Teddy his wings. May he run free and happy with Cruz and all our other Angels waiting at the bridge. Keep his precious memories forever in your heart.:hug:to you and your family.

Janice
9th April 2010, 09:47 AM
So sorry to hear about Teddy, he looks a wonderful boy.

He will be looking after my little Reuben at the bridge Im sure. x

EvelynF
9th April 2010, 10:24 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. Run free Teddy.

James
9th April 2010, 11:40 AM
Nicki, I am so sorry to hear about Teddy, looking at the pictures and reading about him has made me quite tearful.
Thinking of you

jasperpaw
9th April 2010, 12:49 PM
So sorry to read about Teddy, he looked a beautiful cavalier, thinking of you and your husband at this very sad time. :hug:

Pam

Phoebe
9th April 2010, 01:14 PM
I'm so sorry to read of your loss. What a beautiful boy Teddy was. Your photos are a lovely tribute to him and brought tears to my eyes. :hug:

Karen and Ruby
9th April 2010, 01:52 PM
Nikki

Ive only just seen this and Im sooo sorry for your loss of Teddy. The pictures are stunning and truely bought a tear to my eye and gives me so much determination for the run in June.
I will be thinking of not just my own poorly babies but all of them and those that have passed too.

Its truely a devastating disease and Teddy is a shinning example of a strong determined little man xxxx

My thoughts are with you and your family.

RIP Ted-bear :(

Karlin
9th April 2010, 02:05 PM
It is a devastating loss; I know how much Teddy was loved by you and Trevor. :cry*ing::cry*ing:

Your pictures and memories are so lovely; thank you for sharing them with us.

I know you have lost several deeply loved dogs to the horror of syringomyelia in a short space of time -- a terrible burden. :(

I hope researchers can continue to make progress so that fewer and fewer of this beautiful breed have lives that depend on a medication routine or surgery -- you yourself have so generously supported so many efforts yourself. :flwr: I was honoured that you let us name Rupert's Fund after one wonderful boy, and so sad that you have lost another to the same disease.

Teddy's lovely memorial here is a gentle reminder of why we all need to keep working to rid this breed of this terrible problem. No owner should have to bear such heartbreak, especially not more than once. :(

kimy27
9th April 2010, 03:00 PM
Oh no I am sorry to read this. What a beautiful boy he was. I have never had to make this decision but just thinking about it is unbearable so I can't even imagine what you must be going through. You are in my thoughts and prayers :hug:

Margaret C
9th April 2010, 04:30 PM
With Nicki's permission I would like to make people aware of what Nicki & Trevor have done for Cavaliers and the attempts to give them a healthier future.

Beautiful Teddy was volunteered to the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme. Nicki herself drove his little body to a pathology Centre where he donated cell tissue for five different schemes that are researching cavalier health issues.

He is now being cremated and Nicki will be taking his ashes home.

I find it hard to express my admiration for the bravery and generosity they have shown.

Rest In Peace Teddy.

Thank you Nicki & Trevor, my thoughts are with you.

Desrae
9th April 2010, 05:00 PM
I'm at a loss for words. I'm so very sorry Nicki :hug:My heart goes out to you and Trevor.

Charlifarley
9th April 2010, 05:07 PM
I too am really sorry to read about Teddy. Your photos of him are a lovely tribute to him. He was a beautiful dog, so handsome and full of personality. Reading about him just made me love my little doggies even more. Thank you for donating his cell tissue.
Charli :flwr:

Davy
9th April 2010, 05:54 PM
I'm so sorry Nicki, I know what a special character Teddy was and how he inspired others to fall in love with Rubys.

My favorite photo of him will always be the one of him running along on the beach with a crab in his mouth with the look of shear joy, I often wondered how many times you had to chase him round the beach to get it off him.

Run free at the bridge sweet boy

Karlin
9th April 2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks Margaret; I am very glad Nicki gave permission to acknowledge this publicly as it is a very personal and generous act of dedication to cavalier breed research at a difficult time but means Teddy can help many other dogs in future. It is a beautiful tribute to a lovely dog and a very thoughtful act by Nicki and Trevor. :flwr:

There is more information on this scheme here (http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?28230-The-Syringomyelia-Cavalier-Collection-Scheme). People in the UK may wish to contact Margaret privately for more information.

HollyDolly
9th April 2010, 06:11 PM
I find it hard to express my admiration for the bravery and generosity they have shown.

Me to Margaret, he was a stunning dog, my thoughts are with you all.

Nanette xxxxx

Claire L
9th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Nicki and Trevor, I am deeply saddened to read that your precious boy Tedbear has gone to the bridge :cry*ing:
It's just not fair to lose him so young :( My thoughts and prayers are with you both at this awful time :hug::hug:

Wagtails
9th April 2010, 10:34 PM
Just want to add my own tearful tribute to your beautiful Ted-Bear, Nicki. The photos are stunning, and will bring joy to your heart in the future.

As the owner of an elderly SM afflicted ruby myself (my lovely Megan) I guess I shall be facing the same thing one day. I just hope I can be as brave as you.

Run free little man - and look out for all our Bridge Babies too
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Dog%20animations/Rainbowbridgeintoclouds.gif

gentess1
10th April 2010, 12:28 PM
Still raw to read about other heartbreaking stories. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have to agree with others, yours were absolutely stunning. I hope you get over your severe period of grief in as short a time as practical, but it is not easy ( 5.5 weeks and counting ), but hopefully soon you can appreciate an look back with great fondness to the wonderful creatures and companions you had. Regards Steve

Shivers
10th April 2010, 04:18 PM
I am so sorry Nicki & hubby for the loss of Teddy. He was a beautiful boy and he looks so well in his pictures. That is how you will remember him. I love the one with his pal Cruz

Cathy Moon
10th April 2010, 07:32 PM
With Nicki's permission I would like to make people aware of what Nicki & Trevor have done for Cavaliers and the attempts to give them a healthier future.

Beautiful Teddy was volunteered to the SM Cavalier Collection Scheme. Nicki herself drove his little body to a pathology Centre where he donated cell tissue for five different schemes that are researching cavalier health issues.

He is now being cremated and Nicki will be taking his ashes home.

Rest In Peace Teddy.

Thank you Nicki & Trevor, my thoughts are with you.
Nicki and Trevor, thank you for allowing Teddy to make a difference for the breed. Your generosity and compassion for others is so appreciated by many of us who are living with SM daily in our cavaliers, and by all who care about SM in the breed.

I'm so very for your loss of your beloved Teddy, who was such a special boy. :( Be kind to yourselves and let your cavaliers comfort you with their affection and warmth, as only these little spaniels can do.

I will miss Teddy too, my favorite boy; he was, and always will be, the loveliest ruby boy on this earth. Thank you for posting these lovely photos of him. Someone else alluded to your beach series photographs, special favorites of mine too, where he had so much fun with his buddies. :flwr::flwr:

Nicki
10th April 2010, 08:56 PM
Thank you very much for all the beautiful messages, it means so much to us. It's good to have such a thoughtful and caring community at these hard times.

I have not been able to come onto the forum until now, Trevor has been reading your messages to me, also the lovely PMs we have received. Thank you all - I will reply to the PMs but please bear with me.

We really appreciate the support you have shown, it's wonderful that so many of you loved Teddy too - and have memories of him from our stories and photographs.

I think this is the crab one!!

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/_MG_2076.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/_MG_2076.jpg

It was hard to pick just a few - I think we have over 500 photos of Teddy :eek:

A few more special ones

What's this then??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/TedBear/AdjTedBear_MG_3481.jpg

Sorting Jack out :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/OurDogs/IMG_1173.jpg

With his special friend Rupert

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/RupertsMum/OurDogs/AdjRupertTeddy151055.jpg

It was hard to put Teddy through the SM Collection Scheme but it is a huge comfort that his passing was not in vain - and hopefully the research may mean that in the future our beloved companions no longer suffer with these devastating conditions.

Scottie
10th April 2010, 09:15 PM
Nicki I am so sorry to hear about Teddy, he was obviously a very much loved dog and so happy in the photo's.
Hopefully soon you will be able to look back and think of all the wonderful times you and your husband shared with him.
Take care
Pam

Tania
11th April 2010, 09:01 PM
We are thinking of you at such a sad time, I am so sorry Teddy lost his battle the photographs are beautiful and thank you for sharing these with us.
kindest regards. :hug:

Nick
12th April 2010, 04:11 PM
I am so sorry to read of your loss. :(

What a beautiful boy Teddy was and, if I may say so, what fantastic photographs.

Cherish your memories, and take care of yourselves,

Nick

judy
12th April 2010, 07:33 PM
nicki--
i haven't been on cavaliertalk in a very long time. this morning my daughter lisa called to tell me Belle has gone completely deaf, just this morning, she'd been to the vet. i came to cavaliertalk wanting to find info about adapting to deafness. looking down the list of forums, i saw the memorium with the name Teddy--that always will catch my eye because my first dog's name was Teddy (a girl spaniel). how painful to read your post, each photo made me cry, it hurts. when i finished your post, i realized i had two pots cookig on the stove and had not even heard the two alarms that went off to remind me when to go back and check and stir, the soup was boiling over and the water was going dry. i remember when ted bear went to have his MRI.

talking to lisa earlier this morning, i said to her, well, one good thing, Belle is 5 now and still no sign of SM. lisa laughed through her tears. But it's true, how can such sweet animals get such a cruel disease. :(

i'm so sorry for what you all have been through, at least teddy's pain is over but sadly, not for those he left behind. thank you for the wonderful photos and story of real life. your donation immortalizes little ted in such a loving way, making a difference for the better

team bella
12th April 2010, 11:32 PM
So sorry, it feel terrible at the moment. Such a beautiful boy and dispite his illness looked so happy. I understand how sad you and your husband must be feeling:hug:

Spangly
13th April 2010, 08:52 PM
I am so sorry to read about Teddy. Such a beautiful boy! Thank you for sharing your lovely photo`s with us, but most of all thank you for what you have done through the SM Collection Scheme.
Run free like the wind lovely Teddy....................

Brian M
13th April 2010, 08:56 PM
Hello nick

I have been reading all the posts regrading your beloved Teddy but have been unable to put my thoughts into words until now . May I on behalf of Dawn ,Luke my girls and myself send our warmest and sincerest thoughts to you at this time of your terrible loss and also my great admiration and thanks for yours and Teddy's ultimate gesture and tribute in helping SM research as I doubt when my time comes to make these decisions if I will be as brave and thoughtful as you have been Nicki.
He was as has been stated a beautiful boy and a shining example of this wonderful breed and for which now the world of Cavaliers will be a poorer place as he is now no longer with us ,but dear Nicki I an sure that his ever lasting flame will burn deeply in your heart for ever and ever .
God Bless with love
brian

tupup
14th April 2010, 07:36 PM
Dear Nicki
Im so sorry to hear of your loss of Teddy,a very special brave and beautiful boy,just stunning. Thank you & Trevor for the gift of Ted Bear to the SM Collection scheme,most sincerely & with admiration from my girls & I. I hope knowing how much he will help gives you comfort at this painful time.Please take care of yourselves,God bless:hug:

RIP Teddy,be happy with your friends whilst you wait at the bridgexx

merlinsmum
15th April 2010, 02:13 PM
Nicki,

So sorry to hear about Teddy. He was just a gorgeous boy.

Thinking of you xxx

Kirsty, Joel, Merls & Oaks

ourempire
23rd April 2010, 09:00 PM
I was so saddened to read about Teddy and Fufu. I can't imagine how you must feel right now :hug:

ppotterfield
27th April 2010, 02:25 PM
Nicki:

I have not been on CavTalk for a week or more and I just discovered your beautiful post about Teddy Bear. The photos are wonderful and, yes, remember him as he was running with his buddies, free and happy, as we know he must be now waiting for you at the Bridge.

Godspeed, Teddy Bear.

Rj Mac
2nd May 2010, 06:16 AM
Nicki.

Again, we are so sorry for your loss, i have no idea hou your and your husband are coping at the moment, it must be incredibly hard, all i can say is that both Teddy and Fufu, are beautiful and a true credit to you both, and once more how sorry we are:hug::hug::hug::flwr:

matties mum
3rd May 2010, 01:57 PM
So sorry
--Aileen