• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I Must Renew My Faith in My Little Angels!

Desrae

Whilst rooting around in the back garden today (FINALLY, the place was getting wild) the doggies decided to hang with me and root around too. Both Bobby (8 months old) and Belle (nearly 2 yrs. old) basked in the sunlight, nibbled some grass and chased each other with a few squabbles over a twig or two. Suddenly they both began chasing each other and growling, it caught my attention so I looked up from what I was doing... Bobby had a "creature" of some description in his mouth. EWWWWW! I screamed "eeeeeek!" I didn't know what to do, so I rang my husband who was away for the day (of all times when I needed him for something). He asked if it was still alive, "It sho don't look like it," I said. My husband then proceeded to advise me to get it out of Bobby's mouth. ICK! I DO NOT THINK SO.
I enticed Bob with some treats, but he wasn't about to give up his prize. I lured Belle into the house and left her in the kitchen. Bob wasn't having any banana chips or biccies, he wanted his little critter to play with, ICKY! Finally I gave in, and broke out the big guns-- and offered him a piece of cold chicken. He dropped the critter immediately and devoured the chicken. The little creature was covered in some kind of slime-- I don't know why it was (should I be worried?). Anyway, the poor thing was a little field mouse/vole I had just seen scurrying around the garden the other day. He's definitely a goner now so I said a prayer for him a popped him into a baggie and binned him. Terrible end for such a little cutie.
Needless to say, I am disgusted by my doggies behaviour... don't get me wrong, I know they are dogs and all that jazz, but I really believed that MY dogs were angels and wouldn't mess with things like that. I honestly don't even want a kiss from them right now, all I can see is that dead vole, ugh. I must renew my faith in them... (sigh) this is gonna take a while.
Do any of you have stories like this and how did you react?

I have two stories: When Madison was just a year old, she came to the door with a duck's head in her mouth. Luckily she dropped it when I offered her treats. I put the dogs inside and scoured the yard for the rest of the duck. No luck - couldn't find it. Well, Madison found it the next day and brought it to me!!! Again, she was beautiful with the drop it command. It was pretty disgusting to put the rest of the body in a bag and dump it. I must have used a whole roll of paper towels. And no kissing from her for a while!!

Just last summer, Riley, my SM dog, was lying down outside the kitchen door. She seemed pretty content and I thought she was chewing on a stick. All of a sudden, Oz got interested in whatever she had and I went out to prevent a potential territory fight. Well, Riley had a soft, warm freshly dead chipmunk in her mouth. Now she wouldn't drop it for the world - no treats, no attention to the command. It was just too tasty. I even heard little bones crunch. So, I wrapped my hands in another whole roll of paper towels and pulled it out of her mouth. When I came up to her though, she was able to pull the chipmunk almost all the way down her throat. I didn't now dogs could open their throats up like that. Anyway, I pulled it out, gave Riley a sanctioned treat and disposed of the poor little thing.

Sorry, but one more story. Oliver was about 1-2 years old and I was walking him on a flexi-leash (the extendable kind). All of a sudden he darted into a bush and came out with a chipmunk in his mouth. That little bugger was so fast. I don't even know if the chipmunk was dead it happenend so fast. Unlike Riley though, he listened to the drop it command, I pushed it back under the bush and we went on our way. Yuck!

I could go on, with tales of little mice and birds that I've found in their mouths. Suffice it to say that these guys are hunters and they will never pass up a tasty morsel, disgusting as it may be to us. Although Oz would rather chew pens and pencils I think! He'll walk right by a dead bird in the yard.

Now don't get me started or I'll give you a long list of all the undesirables that our sweet little cuties love best - and it usually IS the prettiest, widest-eyed ones who are the worst offenders!!;)

Suffice it to say that we live in the countryside and own a half acre field at the back of our house which we have been turning into a "nature reserve" for several years. It is far too useful a resource for little cuties NOT to let them run around it and wear off any surplus energy, so I have just had to get used to the consequences.:rolleyes:

These have included many dying greenfinches (they are currently suffering from a nasty virus which is killing them off anyway), countless baby voles (the field is just a network of runs), some unidentifiable slimey things..... and, of course, poo of all descriptions (but especially fox)!:eek:

Don't ever let anyone tell you that sweet little Cavaliers are "not like that" - they are ALL the "wolf in the living room" if given the chance!!
AdiggerbeforemeEMAIL.jpg

Oh my oh my! I guess I was just under the impression that they were too well bred to swallow and regurgitate poor helpless critters.:p

Ah Wagtails, you post the best art/graphics!!

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Dogs will do this kind of thing. It's not particularly unusual. Thankfully we don't seem to have much in the way of mice etc, but my 8 month old pup has a penchant for snails and worms and will bring them into the house (one night we found a snail halfway up the wall!).

It is annoying when I hear that 'crunch', but I will fish it out her mouth. Generally she gets her teeth cleaned following this and then I'm not particularly worried about her licking my face which she has something of a penchant for.

Dogs will do this kind of thing. It's not particularly unusual. Thankfully we don't seem to have much in the way of mice etc, but my 8 month old pup has a penchant for snails and worms and will bring them into the house (one night we found a snail halfway up the wall!).

It is annoying when I hear that 'crunch', but I will fish it out her mouth. Generally she gets her teeth cleaned following this and then I'm not particularly worried about her licking my face which she has something of a penchant for.

Hi Lauren. Funny I don't really mind the snails and slugs. Although that crunch sound is a bit disgusting.

We had a party about 2 years ago, and it was around midnight when all of our friends were out on the patio, having a few drinks. Sweet little Miles comes up and is s-l-o-w-l-y walking towards the middle of our group of friends, with some kind of animal hanging out of his mouth. It was a baby bunny, and it was dead :( I'm not sure where he got it though, our patio is fenced in and he can't get out...we do have rabbits in our area though, so one must have wandered into our patio at the wrong time. Poor little thing, I had hoped it was alive, but it wasn't. We buried it right away, and made a little grave marker for it...

The dogs also love to catch and eat cicadas during the summer...it's so gross though, because they hold them in their mouths and the wings flap against their face! Then they "play" with them for awhile before eating them :yuk:

What elegant little dogs we have! :lol:

Hi Lauren. Funny I don't really mind the snails and slugs. Although that crunch sound is a bit disgusting.

Hi Desrae, I can certainly understand how small rodents might prove a bit more challenging than fishing out a snail, so I do sympathise. Especially so because if she really has something in her mouth I have to get it out as my Fiance is not always so keen.

Barney isn't too bag for eating animals, but chips on the floor in the park are another thing!!! Jaws clamped tightly shut then lol. Cassie seems to rather enjoy Guinea pig poo from the garden but the vet assures me this is ok!! Grass pellets

Back