• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Search for chair for UK independent advisory council on dog welfare

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Press release out today:

Press release

Founding Chairman for new Dog Advisory Council

Three separate Inquiries in the last eighteen months have recommended the creation of an independent Advisory Council to provide advice regarding the welfare issues of dog breeding.
In February a consortium of organisations concerned with the welfare of dogs formed a ‘Review Board’ to take forward the key recommendations of the three inquiries. Their unanimous view was that the most important first step was the formation of the independent Advisory Council.

Applications are now sought for the post of founding Chairman for the Council. The successful candidate will have an unparalleled opportunity to influence the future welfare of dogs and to spearhead the provision of advice given, so as to achieve major improvements in the welfare impact of dog breeding.

Professor Sir Patrick Bateson commented today “The health and welfare problems caused by dog breeding were first identified more than 40 years ago. We know the problems and we can find the solutions. Advances in science are improving our understanding of the issues and the potential solutions daily. The appointment of the first Chairman for this Council is critical and he or she will play a key role in developing a strategy for resolving the problems and making a step change in the quality of life for millions of dogs.”

Please see website www.dogadvisorycouncil.org.uk for details of how to apply.

Notes for Editors
1. The detailed role description for the chairman and application form can be found at www.dogadvisorycouncil.org.uk
2. The three inquiry Reports (Pedigree dog breeding in the UK: a major welfare concern? (commissioned by the RSPCA), the report of the Associate Parliamentary Group on Animal Welfare (APGAW) and the Bateson Inquiry Report can also be found at www.dogadvisorycouncil.org.uk
3. The organisations forming the Review Board on the welfare aspects of dog breeding are:
Blue Cross
BSAVA (British Small Animal Veterinary Association)
BVA (British Veterinary Association)
CAWC (Companion Animal Welfare Council)
Defra
Dogs Trust
Kennel Club
PDSA (People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals)
RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons)
RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
Scottish Government
Welsh Assembly

4. The deadline for applications is 14 May and interviews will be held on 14 June (Cambridge) and 16-17 June (London).
5. Professor Sir Patrick Bateson, FRS, is emeritus Professor of Ethology (the biological study of behaviour) at the University of Cambridge and is President of the Zoological Society of London. His main research interests are the behavioural development of animals and he has written and lectured extensively on animal behaviour and animal welfare. He conducted a research project for the National Trust on the behavioural and physiological effects of hunting deer with hounds; on the strength of his report stag-hunting was banned on National Trust property. In 2009 he chaired the Independent Inquiry into dog breeding and his report was published on 14 January 2010.

Hi

I can think of a couple of lady members of this forum who are eminently suited for this position and certainly have the tenacity ,will and knowledge for the reforms that day by day are so urgently required to help all our dogs .

Hi

I can think of a couple of lady members of this forum who are eminently suited for this position and certainly have the tenacity ,will and knowledge for the reforms that day by day are so urgently required to help all our dogs .

Yes Brian, I am sure we are thinking about the same Folk.

Bet

Hi All

The press release for the advertisement for the post of Chairman of the Independent Advisory Council is a very significant step towards the reform of dog breeding.

The choice of Chairman is crucial but I think the ad makes clear the calibre of person they are looking for. The wording of the ad also makes clear that all members of the Advisory Council should be free of any vested interests.

I can't wait to find out who the Chairman will be and have fingers firmly crossed that he or she will fulfil the role with integrity, professionalism, and of course with the welfare interests of dogs first and foremost. Hopefully also the new Chairman together with Prof Bateson and DEFRA officials will quickly move to appoint the other members of the Advisory Council and they can begin their work.

It's no longer a case of welfare reports and recommendations. This is ACTION, and I think it's a very good day for dogs.

Carol

Hello Margaret

Nice to see you here I was just wondering about you ,urrmmm are you very busy :)

Hello Margaret

Nice to see you here I was just wondering about you ,urrmmm are you very busy :)

Hello Brian,

You would not believe how busy.

I have no doubt that things will quieten down soon and I will have chance to tell you all just what has been happening.

I read the message spreading around the dog world plus the following and their website is at this address.
http://dogadvisorycouncil.org.uk/

A key recommendation of three major inquiries into dog breeding was that an independent advisory body should be created to provide advice to governments and other parties on the welfare issues of dog breeding.

The Advisory Council’s terms of reference are as follows:

To provide independent, expert advice and make recommendations on methods and priorities for improving the welfare issues of dog breeding with particular regard to:

1. Surveillance, research and development
2. Breeding strategies
3. Legislation and regulation
4. Education and publicity

The remit of the Advisory Council extends to the United Kingdom.

The Advisory Council may form Working Groups to address specific detailed issues within its terms of reference and may co-opt additional experts onto such working groups.

It's no longer a case of welfare reports and recommendations. This is ACTION, and I think it's a very good day for dogs.
I think it will be interesting to see what happens about DOGS and keep in mind that the Advisory Council will advise to governments and other parties on ALL dogs being bred in the UK and not just those bred by Breed Club Breeders or KC Breeders, and to effect that note "2. Legislation and Regulation" and "4. Education and Publicity"

I think it will be interesting to see what happens about DOGS and keep in mind that the Advisory Council will advise to governments and other parties on ALL dogs being bred in the UK and not just those bred by Breed Club Breeders or KC Breeders, and to effect that note "2. Legislation and Regulation" and "4. Education and Publicity"

I think that us Broken Hearted Owners of Dogs should Bless the Day that Jemima Harrison made her PDE TV Program .

If it had not been for her TV Program , would any notice have been taken about what many of we Dog Owners were telling Dog Breeders about the Health Problems our Dogs were suffering.

As Professor Sir.P.Bateson said, the Health and and Welfare Problems caused in Dog Breeding were first identified more than 40 years ago.

I sure can verify this about the Cavalier Breed when their Heart Problem was known about in the 1940's.

Would the UK Independant Advisory Council on Dog Breeding ever have happened unless it had'nt been for Jemima Harrison.

I DON'T THINK SO.

What a Big Step Forward this is now for the Welfare and Breeding if Dogs.

I have just re-read the BATESON REPORT ,the Chapter concerning Ways Forward,including Professor Sir. P.Bateson's
mention of the Establishment of An Advisory Council on Dog Breeding.

This makes interesting reading, but what is most important , has now happened.

There is now no turning back in the Dog Scene, it will never go back to the Bad Old Days for the Health and Welfare of our Dogs.

We for sure , are going to be living in Interesting Times,for our 4 Legged Friends, and us Owners who have been Heart Broken seeing our Dogs suffer or dying at young ages because no-body would listen to us.

As the saying goes.

TIMES ,THEY ARE A CHANGING .

All I can say is if there are some Breeders who can't stand the Heat ,Let Them Get Out Of The Kitchen!!

Bet.

I have just re-read the BATESON REPORT ,the Chapter concerning Ways Forward, including Professor Sir. P.Bateson's mention of the Establishment of An Advisory Council on Dog Breeding.

This makes interesting reading, but what is most important , has now happened.
Yes Bet the Reports are very interesting reading and DEFRA was very keen to receive the last one in the Bateson Report. Yes there was mention of setting-up of an Independent Advisory Council and appointed by open competition according to Nolan Principles and I wonder if behind the scenes that DEFRA is managing the selection process particularly so with the Chair position.

DEFRA already has launched the "Codes of Practice for the welfare of dogs" and a copy is available on the DEFRA website at this address.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/cruelty/documents/cop-dogs.pdf

Back in January the following was mentioned in Parliament regarding the above Codes of Practice and on seeing the setting-up of an Independent Advisory Council I think that this is the first step towards including a section on Breeding or maybe the creation of another Codes of Practice regarding Breeding and Hereditary Diseases. Yes Bet DEFRA was waiting for the Bateson Report and the following is from this address.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm100107/text/100107w0002.htm

Parliamentary Business
Animals: Codes of Practice

Mr. Drew: To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for what reasons the recently published codes of practice for the welfare of dogs and cats did not include guidance on breeding. [308187]

Jim Fitzpatrick: The main purpose of the cat and dog codes is to assist the courts in cases of poor welfare, brought under the Animal Welfare Act, in relation to cats or dogs. Another purpose is to provide owners of cats and dogs with guidance in how to meet the welfare needs of their animals, as required under the Act. Protecting the progeny of animals is not covered in the code.

The breeding of dogs has been considered by the Associate Parliamentary Group on Animal Welfare, which reported in the autumn. The report from Sir Patrick Bateson on dog breeding will be published in January. The recommendations from these two inquiries will need careful consideration and to issue a code of practice on breeding at this juncture might preempt the conclusions we draw from this valuable work.

EddyAnne

Thanks for drawing attention to the DEFRA Code of Practice for the Welfare of dogs and David Drew's parliamentary question about why breeding is not covered in the Code of Practice.

It's such an obvious omission and I'm hoping that the Independent Advisory Council will address that.

David Drew's question reminds me that there is a lot of cross party support for the reform of dog breeding. It would be interesting to know how many of the newly elected MPs are dog lovers, wouldn't it?

Carol

I think that it would be a brave MP to stand up in Parliament and oppose what the Reports recommended and oppose whatever the Independent Advisory Council may recommend. The MPs that do oppose then I think that they had better have some Report recommendations or other information to support their opposing stand.

I remember back in November where it appeared that the KC really needed to take the lead and I noted what Eric Martlew MP said.
"And if such a change is not implemented within the next 12 months, the independent body would be 'in a position' to advise the Government on the need for 'for further action'".

Well we are now seeing the setting-up of an independent body to advise the Government and others. APGAW also suggests that an independent advisory body comprising geneticists, vets, behaviourists, breeders and animal welfare scientists should be set up to provide advice and make recommendations through the KC to Breed Clubs. The KC mentioned for years it had its own such body but the Reports kept mentioning the word Independent.

At long last the dog breeding world will find itself accountable for it's actions.

Could I mention that at the moment on a Couple of Forums as a result of the Announcement about a Chair being required for the UK Independant Advisory Council on Dog Welfare , the discussion of Jemima Harrison and her PDE TV Program has begun again.

In page 41 of the Bateson Report ,Professor Sir .P.Bateson ,mentioned that following the the PDE Program ,before it was Televised ,little consideration had been given to the Culpability of the Buying Public.

MY Thoughts about his Statement, hopefully now ,because of Jemima Harrison's PDE Program , the Dog buying Public have been made aware to ask the Breeder ,is their Breeding Stock Health Tested.

Unfortunately ,there are still some Breeders ,and sad to say ,amongst them ,Cavalier Breeders ,who are Blinkered to the Fact that because of the PDE TV Program , the SM and MVD was brought to the notice of the Dog Buying Public.

Those Cavalier Breeders bring out the Excuse that the Program did not mention that other Breeds have Health Problems.

I wonder, were those Other Breeds warned like the Cavalier Breeders were warned in 1983 ,27 years ago..... by the CKCS CLUB'S Cardiologist ,Dr. P.Darke, about how Serious and Wide-Spread the MVD Problem was in the Cavalier Breed.

That because now, thanks to Jemima Harrison ,even although 27 years later ,in the Cavalier World ,the Eyes of a Number of Cavalier Breeders will be Opened and that those Cavalier Thoughtless Breeders who care nothing about the Future Health of the Cavalier Breed, either through Ignorance or Arrogance, will realize that the SM and MVD Problems can't be being Swept Under the Carpet any Longer.

I say again , Thank You ,Jemima Harrison, on be-half of so Many of us Broken Hearted Cavalier Pet Owners ,that the Established Stars of Show Breeding have been Challenged, when their Methods are Scientifically Suspect and likely to bring Trouble for the Future Health of Dog Breeds.

Yet last Year ,at the UK CKCS CLUB'S AGM , Simon Swift ,Cardioligist ,said that 50% of Cavaliers will have a Heart Murmur at 5 Years of Age, that this is NO BETTER THAN IT WAS 18 YEARS AGO.

I think his Comment says it all.

Bet

Back