• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rupert's Fund crosses the £2000 mark!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to all who have donated whatever the amount! All those small and medium and large donations have now added up to over £2000! That's over $3000! :wggle:

It's really exciting that a small initiative supported by lots of pet owners giving amounts from £5 upwards have enabled this fund to reach such a size so quickly. We are nearly at a dozen dogs being able to be scanned -- a truly significant number. I know one of the UK clubs is having an event to select one dog for scanning, funded by their club, and hope those owners who do not have their dogs chosen for the scan will consider approaching the researchers as we now have funds for several more dogs and could definitely accommodate some of those if they are good prospects. :)

However I think that club should be talking to researchers, if they are not yet -- choosing a dog from a hat doesn't mean that dog is particularly useful to this research project -- maybe it would be better to select a panel of several and have researchers choose the best options? At the very least, if that club worked directly with the researchers who need this information, an owners submitted pedigrees, then not only could the best dog be chosen for research for the club-funded dog, but Rupert's Fund could cover one or two further dogs perhaps by arrangement between the researchers and the club? I will mention this to the researchers -- personally I have no involvement in making any arrangements.

It would just be unfortunate if a dog drawn from a hat has a fairly meaningless pedigree in terms of the value of the scan to research. It is of course always useful to have older dogs scanned and it is helpful to breeders to get a better idea of whether there's later onset syrinxes, but if one motivation for this generous move by the club is to support the genome work with an older-dog scan, then I am absolutely sure it is better to work directly with researchers and choose the most valuable prospects for scans. :)

It's really exciting that a small initiative supported by lots of pet owners giving amounts from £5 upwards have enabled this fund to reach such a size so quickly. We are nearly at a dozen dogs being able to be scanned -- a truly significant number. I know one of the UK clubs is having an event to select one dog for scanning, funded by their club, and hope those owners who do not have their dogs chosen for the scan will consider approaching the researchers as we now have funds for several more dogs and could definitely accommodate some of those if they are good prospects. :)

However I think that club should be talking to researchers, if they are not yet -- choosing a dog from a hat doesn't mean that dog is particularly useful to this research project -- maybe it would be better to select a panel of several and have researchers choose the best options? At the very least, if that club worked directly with the researchers who need this information, an owners submitted pedigrees, then not only could the best dog be chosen for research for the club-funded dog, but Rupert's Fund could cover one or two further dogs perhaps by arrangement between the researchers and the club? I will mention this to the researchers -- personally I have no involvement in making any arrangements.

It would just be unfortunate if a dog drawn from a hat has a fairly meaningless pedigree in terms of the value of the scan to research. It is of course always useful to have older dogs scanned and it is helpful to breeders to get a better idea of whether there's later onset syrinxes, but if one motivation for this generous move by the club is to support the genome work with an older-dog scan, then I am absolutely sure it is better to work directly with researchers and choose the most valuable prospects for scans. :)

Karlin, what a lot of sense you have just Posted , this is so important that it just can't be done in a haphazard way .

It's unbelievable what we Folk here have collected.I never thought that we would ever reach this amount.

Bet

Hello

And a big thanks to all our forum pet owners who have donated such a large amount so quickly to Ruperts Fund ,which has a nice mention on Dog World

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/Breeds/BreedNotes/15-CAV-(2)

As you say Brian, what a lovely Write Up we got in the Dog World Cavalier Notes.

I think that this will make others who read those Notes , realize the importance of getting Older Cavaliers MRI Scanned to help the Researchers into the SM Problem in Our Breed.

The Saying about a Tiny Acorn springs to mind about what Rupert's Fund in achieving.

Bet

That's great to get coverage. :) I am also delighted to say a couple of more kind and generous donations have been made in the past two days and we are now able to fund a dozen cavaliers for scans, and have raised just over £2,155.

Thanks so much to all for continued support and for thinking of the breed and its future. :*nana:

Back