PDA

View Full Version : New Burns food

Kate H
17th April 2010, 11:23 PM
Since getting Aled, who came with a large bag of Burns food (they sponsor Many Tears), I've been feeding my two on Burns meat/fish and rice dried food and they are doing very well on it. Last week I went to buy a new 7.5kg bag for them and discovered that Burns have produced a new food called Alert. Seems to be exactly the same content as the ordinary food, but with the addition of something to keep joints supple. This qualifies it to be food for working dogs, so no VAT - which saves 3 a bag! Oliver and Aled are fine with it.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Karlin
18th April 2010, 01:14 PM
but with the addition of something to keep joints supple.

Then I could use that for my own meals... :lol:

Interesting that there's no VAT on working dogs' food!

Teresa
18th April 2010, 01:15 PM
I didn't know that - will look into it!! Do you find it a good food? Also where do you buy it?

Wagtails
18th April 2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks so much for this tip, Kate. I didn't know about the absence of VAT on working dog food either.

All mine have been on Burns for several years as it was recommended for anal gland problems. It certainly does help in that regard, and also produces nice firm stools which are easy to "gather up" (if you know what I mean!) ;)

Kate H
18th April 2010, 08:17 PM
My friends at the local pet shop and I have both been scrutinising the ingredients and there really seems to be no difference except for the joint stuff. Protein in both is 18.5%. I just got it at my local pet shop - I expect yours would order a bag for you to try. You could find more about it on the Burns website.

The working dog food thing is a bit daft - no VAT and the producers don't need to have the ingredients analysed (which costs about 500) - apparently you can feed any rubbish to working dogs! But Alert is good Burns, not rubbish, I hasten to add! And the joint stuff is really important for working breeds like Labs and spaniels (and Cavalier water babies like my Oliver!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled