• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Imagine keeping your cavalier like this

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I've been working with a kind elderly woman who wanted a cavalier, and obtained an adult dog being rehomed through one of the small ads -- I'd told her I'd work with her if the dog needed some help. Today I met this little girl. The women had been told she was a family dog, housetrained, with a small skin rash. Oh, and she'd had one litter of puppies. Once the kind lady saw her, she could not possibly leave her with the man who brought her to a carpark. :( I'd have felt the same. Imagine trying to sell a dog that looks like this.

She's a classic overbred, uncared for puppy farm breeding girl. Her poor abdomen hangs down like a curtain, she has suckled so many litters in her 4 years. She may have mange or some other skin problem but my vet thinks she had lost her hair from going though so many pregnancies, probably back to back. Her hair may never grow back. We will know more when she gets spayed as we can also get some skin biopsies then (she would have to be put under for the biopsies so we will do both).

She is not housetrained, and lived out in a barn. She had no name, which tells you exactly what value she had to the owners. Nonetheless she is the sweetest thing you could imagine -- just an adorable personality. :)

She will be looking for a home soon, and more immediately, needs a foster place from Friday. She is a little uneasy around other dogs -- intrigued but fearful and a little growly, which would likely go very quickly if she had a companion dog in her forever home. If she is around other dogs she would need a little management until she gets to know them, but would be very easy as a solo dog.

Sadly this is likely what the mother of many cavaliers in this country and every country look like. If you did not see the parents of your cavalier in person and could be sure they were definitely indoor, well loved dogs, this is the reality. It is the life led by the real dogs behind those small ad pictures and the happy cavaliers on website pictures when you order your cavalier to be shipped to you or only talk to the breeder on the phone and have no way of verifying their bona fides as breeders. These are the dogs bred to supply pet shops and the mothers of those 'Irish champion stock' puppies from the nice lady who told you her aunt/uncle/brother/father/niece breeds them and sends them to her in New York to sell (no, those dogs come from puppy farmers, who keep their dogs like this). This is why we need our proposed Irish puppy farm legislation and if you live in Ireland, you need to call or write your TDs and ministers and tell them you expect them to vote in support of this bill.

I will post her into the rescue section as well but here are some photos of this little girl and her 'small skin rash' :mad::

4538091497_dd8e725b36.jpg

4538102405_023900891b.jpg

4538733138_73917d428c.jpg

4538722576_f42e3106ec.jpg

4538091561_5ed2e89723.jpg

OMG, that just makes me want to cry:(

Poor sweet girl with that adorable ruby face.

The picture of the "rash" reminds me so much of when we rescued our Lhasa Julie who had lost over half her hair.

What do you think is causing the "rash"? Mange or something? Julie's was fleas.

Thank goodness this little girl at least is safe and will have a good home coming to her. IT's so sad to think of all the many others who are still in puppy mills and backyard "barns" churning out puppies. :(

The vet thinks possibly mange, but only because of hair loss around the eyes -- because the hair loss pattern is symmetrical she thinks it may be hormonal. Her skin is smooth and leathery in places,not recently scratched -- thus she thinks the hair could have been gone for a while. She wasn't scratching a lot so my guess is maybe hormonal. Hoping that once spayed and fed well on a great diet her hair may begin to recover. It isn't unusual for bitches to lose hair after pregnancies but this is severe.

My vet was just so shocked -- she just looked at her in disbelief and waived her fees.

I have another easier dog for the kind woman -- she and her invalid husband cannot manage housetraining very well, so this girl isn't the right match for them so I will swap her for another older girl who would relish a loving retirement home with this older couple.

It's a good thing I don't live in Ireland because I'd be compelled to apply to adopt her and two is my limit for now. :eek: She deserves a wonderful forever home where she'll be loved and pampered :lotsaluv: to make up for all the time she spent in those awful conditions.

Karlin, sounds like you got a great vet. It's wonderful they waived their fees to help this poor girl.

That breaks my heart, especially when you described her sweet personality despite all she's been through. As I've said many times before, I hope these puppy farmers get reincarnated as their own dogs. No sort of humanity there if they can see misery like this every day and be ok with it.

Wow, that's a heartbreaking story. Unfortunately, this poor girl is probably not unique. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said if you don't see the mom of your future puppy, she may very well look like this (or worse). The reality behind those cute puppies in pet stores (and from many BYB's here) is a really ugly truth.

If you weren't so far away, I'd be begging you for this girl. I actually liked house training Holly -- gave me an excuse to go outside every half hour!

Poor girl....it's just so wrong that anyone would treat any living creature like that. There is hope though....Karlin, a sweet little female came into rescue a couple of years ago looking like that.....exactly like that, no fur, drooping skin, rash and you should see her now....Charlotte Rose is absolutely beautiful...there is hope!! Thank goodness she found you.

I'm in a hurry but all I can say for now is OMGoodness. Can she have some kind of tummy tuck? That could get caught on something. And her poor back, permanently pulled down by the weight of litter after litter I imagine :(

Horrendous - poor wee love. I know it's not ideal but she'd always have a home with me if needs be [or foster]. My poodle is ex-breeding bitch who was chucked out at 9 years old and has a listful of things wrong with her [she was also pretty grumpy when she arrived]. It breaks my heart but also fills me with great joy to see her coming round and enjoying life a bit more day by day.

I'm absolutely fuming about this. Karlin, can this not be reported - I'm sure she wasn't the only one living in that barn. USPCA up here raid puppy farms; is there an equivalent down South? Thank goodness at least she is out and will get a good home but it breaks your heart to think about those left.

My heart goes out to that poor little girl, it's inhumane to think that another human being could keep such a sweet girl in those horrific conditions. So glad she is now going to recevie the care and love she deserves.

Sue & Darcy

:eek: The poor little thing, that is just heartbreaking. I dont understand how people can treat their dogs like this :mad: Thank god she has been rescued from that life and i pray you find a forever home for her very soon as she deserves all the love she can get.

Poor little dog.

She is goimg to end up one lucky little girl, because fate brought her to Karlin's Rescue and she will get the care she needs, and eventually a loving home.

Those pictures say more than a thousand words, and it is this sort of detailed information that should play a part in official education projects.

If buyers are shown the true story, these inhumane people will no longer be able to make their money by selling battery farmed puppies.

Poor wee mite and not even given the decency of a name. :( She looks like a "Rosie" to me though certainly her future will be now! ;)

Thank goodness she's ended up in the best place now. How lucky she was that the kindly lady saved her. At least she's got a really good chance now.

Poor little girl. Thank goodness for the kind lady and Karlin coming to her rescue. May she go on to have a loving life and hopefully in time her memory of her previous one will fade.:l*v:

She looks a little like my Scarlett :(

I'm stunned, angry and quite upset to hear about this wee girl.Those previous "owners" aught to be strung up by the crown jewels IMO :mad: To think, she was made to bear goodness how many litters for these greedy, selfish individuals and not even given a name - says it all really...

I'm so pleased she found you Karlin and how lovely of the lady wanting to take her.I hope she finds a lovely home full of love and many years of pleasure after her sad start in life.

This is heartbreaking and I'm all too aware that there are many other puppy farm breeding bitches in this kind of state.

I've also seen how such dogs can be transformed with love, good food, rest and care into very happy and normal looking dogs.

I feel sure that via Karlin this will happen to this wee girl. She deserves the best home possible.

Carol

Back