• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First timer questions.

daisysmom

Hi all, i just have a few probably stupid questions from a first timer dog owner.

1. Smelly Dog- From the time we got daisy she has smelt bad. Its not as bad as when we first got her but still its bad enough to be bothering us. And i know by reading up that we are bathing her to much but its just to try to get rid of the smell. Im paroniod that the smell is very noticeable in my home. HELP Please.

2. Shedding- Is it sheding time? Daisy never realy shed up ontill now ( she 7mth). But it everywhere.
How many times a year do they shed?
Does it make her itchy?
Is there anything i should do or not do at this time.

3. Cooked shoulder of bacon bone. We had this for dinner is it ok to giver her the bones from this to chew on.

Thanks.

Welcome mom of Daisy! I'm sure others on this forum will be able to give you more expert advice, but a few immeduate thoughts:

Smell - have you had Daisy's anal glands checked by the vet in case they need emptying? Cavaliers seem to have particular problems with anal glands - they need emptying regularly, and if left too long can become infected. Daisy shouldn't be smelly, so it would be worth having a word with your vet.

Shedding - due to heated homes, I'm afraid shedding is now an all-year-round phenomenon! Regular brushing with a good brush (the metal side not the soft side of the two-sided sort) helps a lot, and a good vacuum cleaner!

Bones - cooked bones are a complete no-no, because they can splinter into razor sharp daggers and do a lot of internal damage (though having said that, my two love the soft rib bones in barbequed ribs, but these don't splinter). On the other hand, dogs like something to chew, so a dental bone, rawhide chew or similar is much enjoyed - and also a good diversion if Daisy starts chewing something she shouldn't!

Enjoy your puppy!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

...1. Smelly Dog- From the time we got daisy she has smelt bad. Its not as bad as when we first got her but still its bad enough to be bothering us. And i know by reading up that we are bathing her to much but its just to try to get rid of the smell. Im paroniod that the smell is very noticeable in my home. HELP Please.

The smell may be coming from her eyes, which happens to many puppies when they teeth. If she is teething, the smell should go away when the teething ends.

2. Shedding- Is it sheding time? Daisy never realy shed up ontill now ( she 7mth). But it everywhere.
Does it make her itchy?

Shedding happens. I never have kept track of the seasons for shedding. It just happens. What to do? Clean it up regularly.

3. Cooked shoulder of bacon bone. We had this for dinner is it ok to giver her the bones from this to chew on.

NO! Never give cooked bones to a dog.

Hi all, i just have a few probably stupid questions from a first timer dog owner.

1. Smelly Dog- From the time we got daisy she has smelt bad. Its not as bad as when we first got her but still its bad enough to be bothering us. And i know by reading up that we are bathing her to much but its just to try to get rid of the smell. Im paroniod that the smell is very noticeable in my home. HELP Please.

Mine smell bad from time to time. Like one of the other posters said, maybe have her anal glands checked. I find my older boy gets stinky breath and fishy smelling eyes. I normally give him a denta bone (I am in Australia) which helps keep their breath fresh whilst helping with tartar and general oral hygiene. His eyes, I am forever wiping with tear wipes...but it is the end of Summer here so the pollen count is high and if he's been in the garden, his eyes are watering profusely.

Have you tried changing shampoos?

Does it make her itchy?

Summer can be worse than winter....but cavvies shed all year round and can be worse once they have been desexed as their coats can get thicker (least males do...never had females so not sure about them) I give mine a good grooming on the weekend and spot grooms during the week. They can scratch, mainly ears etc....so I try and comb D'Artagnans ears every day (mainly cos Porthos has hung off them during the day...little scamp).

Nope, cooked bones can splinter! Go for a raw bone - most butchers sell dog bones. Have you tried her on chicken necks? D'Artagnan loves them and eats them well...Porthos doesn't cope with chicken well, so I haven't tried him on them.

Hi and welcome. I agree with all of the other posts, the other thing to
check is her ears, sometimes their ears can get smelly, because of the floppy
ears moisture and air get trapped in the ear canal making it an ideal place for
bacteria and yeast to form. :)

Diet can affect body odour too - what are you feeding?

At that age Daisy will be blowing her puppy coat so shedding more than normal - also they do still shed more in Spring and Autumn, but as tohers have said, they shed all year round. At least it is the type of hair which is easy to hoover up!

Thanks for the replys and great info.
She is fed red Mills it is the only one that has agreed with her and she likes.
Originaly the smell seemed to come from her ears as she had mites when we got her.
Her glands were done in feb.
Funny enough the weeping eyes being mentioned, its only in the last 2 wks her eyes have started to weep and its only in the last wk that she has staeted shedding.
So she seems to be going through some changes.
Iv tried a few different shampoos but still even after a bath she stil has a smell.
Im going to bring her to the groomers and see if that makes a difference, hopfully they do the glands to and il tell them to pay close attention to her ears.
Oh and i have rawhide bones for her.

Sorry i just have a couple more questions.
1, what age will she come into season and what should i look out for.
2, Would she be still theeding at this age.

Any other advice or info you feel would be of benifit would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks again.

Back