• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sensitivity after vaccinations

maliss

Hi (probably again) from Australia.
I'm new to CKCS and this forum.

I have an undersized Blenheim CKCS pure-bred that I received on Friday. The breeder said that she needed a booster for C4/C5 vaccinations.

Today we wandered off to the vet for the vaccintions. She is now super sensitive in the area of the vaccination to the point where if we touch it she'll squeal.

I am unsure whether cavs are prone to over sensitivity - I rang the vet who advised that she should not be this discomforted by the vaccinations.

So my question is: Are cavs over-sensitive to needle point vaccinations?

TIA

Hi Tia, in my little experience, i say yes, Nicki went to the vet for his vaccination the last october, at the moment all went ok, it seemed it didn't hurt him like when he got his antirabies vaccination, but after a few hours he felt so uneasy, you could not even touch him, and he almost could not walk, it was scary...after some hours he felt well again.
It is a pity because in Italy they do annual vaccinations whereas in some other countries every three years :confused:

Hi Tia, in my little experience, i say yes, Nicki went to the vet for his vaccination the last october, at the moment all went ok, it seemed it didn't hurt him like when he got his antirabies vaccination, but after a few hours he felt so uneasy, you could not even touch him, and he almost could not walk, it was scary...after some hours he felt well again.
It is a pity because in Italy they do annual vaccinations whereas in some other countries every three years :confused:

Could I just mention , that if any of you have a Cavalier with a Heart Problem, discuss with you Vet as to whether a Vaccination should be being given.

Bet

Sensitivity at an injection site in 24-48 hours following an injection is very common -- same thing happens to humans (common in children and if you have ever had vaccinations fro tropical diseases you might have experienced this too).

Several neurologists also recommend injections only be given in the leg and never the neck on cavaliers due to the high incidence of Chiari-like malformation, and of syringomyelia. One has said she believes neck vaccinations could aggravate or even induce a syrinx in a dog already prone to SM so I feel it is best practice to avoid neck vaccinations. Many vets have said for years that cavaliers are overly sensitive to vaccinations in the neck area ('drama queens' is the rather insulting way a couple have phrased this cheerfully to me :x) and many neurologists now think this is because neck injections can cause real and potentially severe pain in this breed due to the Chiarlike malformation and/or SM. As just about every cavalier has the malformation, the potential for pain I think is always there; hence the advice from neurologists to vaccinate elsewhere than the neck. (y)

I've never had sensitivity from vaccinations in the thigh, for what that's worth. Also some vaccinations cause more sensitivity in susceptible dogs than others -- lepto and rabies for example.

So my question is: Are cavs over-sensitive to needle point vaccinations?
I go along with Karlin in that sensitivity at an injection site in 24-48 hours following an injection is very common and your Cavalier may be experiencing this, also some may feel unwell during this time where others may not. But if you are talking about over sensitivity which suggests much more then this may depend on a number of factors and even include that some dogs simply may be over sensitive where others may not be. This may be similar as to what may be found in other breeds or even cross breeds.

As to C4/C5 there are areas of risk within Australia where these vaccinations would be required and which include boarding kennel facilities where such vaccination are required. From what I have seen over the years generally most dogs are only given the C3 vaccinations, and if NOT going to any boarding kennel facility or to a higher risk area then the C3 booster are given every 3 years this after the puppy course of vaccinations have been completed. Also discuss with your veterinarian as to what may be required in your area and in your particular case.

The Australian Veterinary Association has reviewed its vaccination recommendations, then our National Kennel Club reading the current recommendation mentioned the following to all its members, and keep in mind that this is for Australia and where other countries may have different recommendations from their organisations or authorities.

The core vaccines of Distemper, Hepatitis and Parvovirus require a 12-15 month follow up after the puppy vaccinations, and thereafter these can be given every 3-4 years. However, it is probably wise to vaccinate breeding bitches at least every 2 years to keep their titre levels high for coverage of puppies up to first vaccination age.

Non core vaccines, which include Kennel Cough, can be shorter lasting vaccines and should be done on an annual basis if the dog is under threat (kennel cough outbreak) or when you are placing the dog in a high-threat situation eg. going into a commercial boarding kennel.
If not under threat, they are generally not required as they are generally non lethal infections.

Other vaccines such as Leptospirosis, Tetanus etc are generally only considered in the face of an outbreak of those diseases or due to local known conditions where the use of these vaccines is advisable.

Oh and just to add some information to the topic before I sign off, we do NOT have Rabies in Australia which is a Rabies free country but some may mention Rabies in some other countries.

Back