• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy -- 4th Birthday today, and a question about ringworm

Daisy's Mom

It's been a crazy week, and as I signed in to my email this morning at work there was a happy birthday message for Daisy from Dogster! Of course, I have been thinking about it coming up soon, but I had such a frantic morning that I totally left the house without even telling her Happy Birthday! Bad mom. She turns 4 today. :l*v: Love that dog!

Now the bad part. She was diagnosed with ringworm last week! :eek: I have to give her baths in 2 different medicated shampoos twice weekly. We are trying to see if we can beat it with just the shampooing because the vet said that the oral pills are very hard on a dog's liver and they will make her feel bad. She had originally thought it was a small skin infection so she was already on antibiotics for that, but then the culture came back positive for ringworm! I've never had it, nor have I really had any experience with it at all. She's really not itchy at all right now, and the two little patches seem to be gone already, so I'm not sure what to think about it all. The vet warned us that we could get it from her, so that's always fun to think about.

Has anyone else dealt with a dog with ringworm? What were your experiences with curing it? Did any humans get it from the dog? I've been reading very scary things online about having to sterilize everything to get rid of it from the house. And having to shave the dog! (Please no!!!!)

BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, ringworm is not a worm, it's a fungus very similar to yeast. It's actually the same one that causes athlete's foot or jock itch, etc. I have no earthly idea where she caught this. They said that it can live in the soil. I'm kind of wondering if she caught it at the vet's office because she always lays flat out on the floor. She's got a small spot in her armpit, and another on her inner thigh, so that would make some sense. She's been fighting yeast for a couple of months, so we have been to the vet a lot recently.

She has now learned not only the word "bath" but also the spelling of
B-A-T-H after all these baths. Seriously, if I say in the afternoon that I have to give Daisy a B-A-T-H this evening, she won't come to me the rest of the evening, even for a favorite treat. She stays in her crate. I know better than to call her over and then do something to her she doesn't like, so it takes all kinds of subterfuge to get her to come out of her crate when she knows what's coming. Smart little cookie. She also has yeast in her ears, for which I am using a medicated flush and then Mometamax 10 minutes later. She doesn't mind the medicine, but HATES the flushing part. She's getting to the point where she is starting to avoid me altogether!

When I was a child, we had a dog who caught ringworm and he had the medicated washes (I hope they smell better now than they did back then!). He also had a cream to put onto the affected areas, he got quite patchy so it was easy to find the places that needed to be treated. I haven't a clue the name of the cream but maybe your vet would know of something that you could apply in the same way. As far as I can remember, he was on a course of tablets too (once again, no idea of the name etc.). My mother boiled all of the dogs bedding in disinfectant, prob Dettol or Savlon, in a bucket/trough and kept him away from other dogs and animals, and wouldn't let us near him (unless we were helping her wash him etc.) until he was given the all clear. Because I was a child at the time, I really don't have much more detail :eek:

We were only allowed to handle the dogs with gloves on because it can spread to humans. I am surprised that your vet didn't mention it in a more serious way. My cousin (when I was a child) got it off of a cow once (how Irish do I feel right now?! :rolleyes:) so I presume it can be spread from dog to human. It could just be in late stage or touching the infection directly (like a coldsore) but as far as I'm aware it can be spread.

Loads of people thing ringworm is gross or dirty but it can be caught from fences, other animals or the ground/earth - it's just one of those things that they are exposed to when they are out and about.

Hope your little ladies outbreak clears up soon.

And happy birthday to Daisy:)

Hi

And Happy Birthday today ,shes a beauty with or without ringworm.:hppybdy::hppybdy::hppybdy::hppybdy:

Agree that Daisy deserves a very 4th :hppybdy:

Haven't had ring wrms but years ago our children got pinworms at a new house site and whole family had to be treated.:eek:

Heather R

firstly Happy Birthday Daisy :hppybdy::hppybdy: hope you've had a nice day despite your nasty patches :(

I'm shocked your vet didn't tell you to wear gloves :eek: There's some more info here

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1557&aid=471

"Persons should wear gloves when handling affected animals and wash hands well afterwards."

It tends to attack when your immune system is low - but if it were me I would be checking myself thoroughly and keeping a careful look out, also everyone else in the house. If you do see anything unusual, get yourself straight to the doctor.

Back