• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wondering if its too soon...

vgaffney83

A quick background.....Lucky is almost 2, was the most wonderful easy dog to potty/crate train. Lady is almost 4 months, she's kept in a x-pen with a 'pad' at night and when we're gone (about 4 hours). She can hold it through the night, the pad is clean almost all mornings. She can hold it for the 4 hours we're gone. When we're home, she goes outside, no pad. She's started tearing up and playing with the pad. Both at night and during the day when we're gone. She's got toy's etc. My question is, is it OK to switch over to the kennel for the 4 hours we're gone? We did it with Lucky without any problems but I've heard females are harder to housebreak....any suggestions??

Not sure if I understand -- if this is an outside kennel, wouldn't it really not matter whether she goes in an outdoor kennel as that is kind of the norm for kennels? Or is this an indoor kennel and if so, how is it set up? Why not just keep both inside in a crate/xpen arrangement by preference as it is so much more comfortable and reassuring than staying outside alone? Generally outdoor kennels are not a great option if they can be avoided (one reason is the breed only has a single coat, not the layer of undercoat that keeps other breeds warmer if outside, but also, they are just a bit grim). Just not sure if I am understanding the current set-up or the reason for the question if this is an outdoor kennel I guess!

Sorry, let me clarify. Both dogs are INSIDE! When I say kennel I mean crate. Kennel is the word we use with them so I'm used to saying it. He goes in his crate inside at night and when we're gone. Doesn't mind it at all. Lady is in an ex-pen since she's still a puppy. With water, bed, toys, pad etc. I'm wondering if it would be OK to transfer her to the smaller crate inside like his (we have two matching) without access to a pad. Is 4 months OK for this? I know some people don't use pads at all....I just don't want to cut her off too soon I guess! Does that make sense now?!

My experience with Madison is that if there is a pad in the crate, she will pee on it. No pad - no pee. My dogs were in crates from the time they came home. When they got older then I used the x-pen and attached it to the crate to give them more room. Now if I have to use a crate for some reason they are all used it it and go in without a problem. I also have a HUGE crate that all four of them can sleep in. They seem to like it - that's what they're used to at the pet-sitter's house.

Sounds like I need to get rid of the pad!

But that means taking her from the x-pen to the crate because if I leave her in the pen without a pad with all that room, she'll for sure pee on the floor etc. So we'll transfer over to the crate! She's not as excited about it as he was at this age though....this is gonna be difficult I can tell!

Back