PDA

View Full Version : Rosie's progress

Karlin
2nd May 2010, 01:37 PM
I decided to start a new thread for Rosie to give her story and also to give contact details in case anyone wants to make a small contribution towards her expenses as she will have spent several days in the vets on a drip and they will be keeping her at least one more night.

I will start with the latest news and some latest pictures:

I have just had a call from the vet and she is finally EATING and the diarrhea and vomiting has stopped! :D Poor thing has not eaten for a week so must be famished. She really must have been unwell to not even want to try to eat. They will keep her in at least another night.

I collected her yesterday to transfer her over to another branch of my vets as the office she was in doesn't have staff to mind dogs over the weekend. When I went to get her she was just SO much better -- a 100% improvement. She was so exhausted when I brought her in on Friday that she just lay down on the exam table. She had developed a bad case of gastroenteritis.

But this is her yesterday midday, when I collected her. The bandage is for access to her drip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpe62iVGzKg

Karlin
2nd May 2010, 01:43 PM
Some pics (the reddish colour is the edge of the cover for my phone unfortunately!). You can see how bad her hair loss is -- her tail is just so, so sad:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3491/4570334975_2250dac6b9_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3451/4570334909_9435fc5a6f_o.jpg

Karlin
2nd May 2010, 02:06 PM
The background to Rosie:

A kind elderly woman had gone to see her from an advertisement, where she was claimed to be a housetrained, 4 year old family dog needing to be rehomed. The owner said she had 'a small skin rash'. Only when she went to meet the owner (who of course came to meet her in a carpark, so we do not know where he is based) was she told she had had ONE litter of pups a while ago.

The kind woman could not leave her and so bought her to get her away from that man, and Irish Cavalier Rescue took her in. She had clearly been a breeding machine with many, many litters of puppies (my vets think other pups may have been put on her to suckle as well), with a sagging belly and back. My vets say her hair has fallen out due to exhaustion and overbreeding. It may or may not grow back in but we are hopeful as there seems to be a new fuzz on her. She is not housetrained and had been kept outside. She has healed past untreated corneal ulcers on her eyes. But her heart sounds good, which is at least one blessing. Several vets at the practice I go to were absolutely shocked at her state, but charmed by her lovely personality. :l*v:

She really has the sweetest personality and wags her tail (with its sad little tufts of remaining hair) whenever she sees a person, despite what people have done to her. She is a little trooper.

It is so important for people to understand that Rosie is the truth about too many -- most -- of the cavalier puppies sold in Ireland and especially, sold abroad in the US in particular as Irish imports on those websites where the cute pups are sitting in flowerpots or on baby blankets. Often they are claimed to be from the seller's dear aunt who breeds their loved family dog back in Ireland, or that they come from 'Ireland champion stock'.

Don't believe it: Rosie and dogs like her are where those dogs come from, as cheap imports. They are shipped in crates of up to 25 pups at a time packed together, where several generally die en route. Do NOT believe the fake breeders and brokers who try to convince you otherwise. They are part of a lucrative, hellish trade. Rosie is just lucky that the puppy farmer figured he could even get some money for her. Most are shot by the puppy farmers or put down in other ways at their premises, which are currently not liable to inspections. It is just so, SO important to either work with a responsible, health-focused breeder (which in almost every case will mean a club-registered breeder) or opt for a rescue dog. Do not keep these disgusting exploiters of the breed in business by getting your dog from anyone else, please!

Rosie will get a new home, I hope, before too long -- she would do best with adults or kids older than 12, either as a single dog or with one gentle same-size dog as a companion.

But her costs for vet care are rising for my small rescue, Irish Cavalier Rescue, because she picked up a serious gastrointestinal bug and she is one of the dogs for which I cannot recuperate her basic vet costs through her homing donation. I will have several hundred euro in costs fro her spay and chip, several vet visits, and several overnights now on a drip. She is nearly ready to come back out and into foster as she is eating -- this was the huge breakthrough we were waiting for as she has not touched any food since last Monday. :eek:

If you are interested in possibly offering Rosie a home in Ireland, please PM me, but only if you can fit the criteria noted above.

How to help her? If you wish to help with her expenses (and a huge thank you to several people who have made kind contributions already :)), I can take PayPal donations if you go to PayPal.com and use karlin@indigo.ie as the account --but please be sure to add a note that this is for Rosie. Little donations of even just a few euro add up and really help defray costs of caring for a dog like Rosie til she's back on her paws!

Nicki
2nd May 2010, 02:54 PM
Thank you so much for the video, photos and update Karlin - so pleased that she is doing better and eating again :jmp2:, she looks so thin :( though.

One beautiful girl, inside and out...it's great that there is some fuzz appearing already, hopefully one day she will have a lovely thick coat again.

I'm sure by tomorrow she will be much better.

Hopefully if we can all send a little something, that will help pay for her bills - thank you to those *ng*l who have already donated.

Cathy T
2nd May 2010, 03:39 PM
Poor girl. I'm just so grateful the woman who met her had the good sense to get her away from that horrible person and get her into safety. Wonderful to hear that she's doing so much better. Poor little thing is probably just so exhausted and overwhelmed. Rescue in the U.S. had a girl come in looking very much like Rosie....and now, she is a beautiful loved little princess. Her hair has come back nicely and her sweet personality has persisted. There is hope.

I urge anyone who sees this to please make a small donation to help Rosie out. Karlin does this on her own without any financial assistance. Don't think you can only donate $5.00 and what good will that do......$5.00 from 10 people is $50!! I love knowing that my donation is going to a direct cause and will have a direct impact on a particular dog.

MurphysMummy
2nd May 2010, 03:41 PM
The video and pics are great!! The poor girl :( Even though her skin/coat is not good she is still very beautiful.. honestly if I lived in Ireland she would be in my home without a doubt! :(
Hope she feels better soon and finds the perfect home she deserves :l*v:

Desrae
2nd May 2010, 03:43 PM
Poor Rosie. Thank goodness she is in good hands now.

susandavis1
2nd May 2010, 04:16 PM
So, so relieved to hear that Rosie is doing better. I am so happy to hear that she is finally eating, she must have been so hungry having not eaten in quite a while, I have never known a cav to refuse warm chicken and I tried every single piece of food I could think of to entice her but she was just too poorly to eat. It's a great breakthorough now she can keep food down.
Although she is not housetrained, I feel she will take to it really quickly as she always let me know when she needed to go outside, you just need to be quick!
As Karlin said, she is such a sweet personality, she constantly wags her tail, even at my neighbours who were complete strangers to her. She absolutely adores being petted, she closes her eyes and makes soft moaning sounds. She loves being in company and was really interested in sitting on the sofa with us, like a typical cav who loves her comfort :)
Sending big hugs to Rosie, keep eating pet and get your strength up.

Sue

Wagtails
2nd May 2010, 05:48 PM
My heart is aching for this poor little girl and what she has been through at the hands of unspeakable people, and yet she wags her tail and manages to look hopeful. Cavaliers are just amazing little dogs with such big hearts and so much love.

I'm so glad to see that she is slowly recovering, will keep everything crossed that a super forever home will come her way very soon, and am about to Paypal you a "little something" towards her costs, Karlin. Thank heavens for people like you and her rescuer.:wggle:

shell1805
2nd May 2010, 06:33 PM
paypalling right as i type. this brought me to tears, poor little girl xx

Rj Mac
2nd May 2010, 06:38 PM
She is beautiful Karlin, fingers crossed she doesn't have too long to wait for a new home,

Teresa
2nd May 2010, 07:08 PM
love her, I'm sooo glad she's eating!! Will try to figure out how to donate a little something :):):):)

Nicki
2nd May 2010, 07:12 PM
Bless you Teresa - the instructions are here

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?34521-How-to-donate-to-Irish-Cavalier-Rescue

Tania
2nd May 2010, 07:24 PM
I am glad Rosie is starting to feel a little better. I hope she finds a forever loving home. Despite her terrible previous life you can see she is still a lovely sweet little girl. Thank you for sharing the photos and video. :xfngr:

brid kenny
2nd May 2010, 09:17 PM
My heart is melting for this little one. Lets hope we can get enough money to help her.

Claire L
3rd May 2010, 10:39 AM
Get well soon Little Rosie :hug:

sins
3rd May 2010, 11:27 AM
Just sent a small donation.
If ever a cavalier deserved a second chance this one does.
Sins

Teresa
3rd May 2010, 12:17 PM
thanks Nicki, I'm off to work now until seven (On a bank holiday too!! :( Never mind that's working in a nursing homefor you lol) I will have a look this evening...

Karlin
3rd May 2010, 08:09 PM
I am overwhelmed by how many people have sent me donations yesterday and today for this girl -- thank you so, so much. I will acknowledge each so you know I got the funds. :) Several of you have been very generous over time to my rescue and a special thanks to you -- you know who you are. :flwr:

The dogs and I all say thanks for caring so much about these little rescues. :paw:

Rosie is continuing in building herself back up today -- she is at the vets for another night, and I hope she will be out, and into a foster place to gain more strength, tomorrow. She really seems to touch everyone; I was at an event today with a lot of irish rescue people and several came up to ask about her.

Nicki
3rd May 2010, 08:24 PM
:thnku::thnku: so much everyone for donating to Karlin - I know every penny/dime/euro will be put to good use.

Karlin often dips into her own pocket to fund the rescue - so it's great that we are able to help her. Lots of small amounts add up to a big amount :thmbsup:

I'm sorry that Rosie is stopping in for another night, but hopefully by tomorrow she will be much stronger and looking forward to going to her foster home.

Karlin
4th May 2010, 10:45 AM
She is back to normal at the vets. :*nana: Eating and drinking normally.

I am collecting her late this afternoon and hopefully will have her foster sorted by then! :D

Nicki
4th May 2010, 11:00 AM
That's fantastic news Karlin,:jmp: thank you for keeping us updated.

allie
4th May 2010, 11:11 AM
Great news. Glad Rosie's on the mend.

Rj Mac
4th May 2010, 12:23 PM
Fantastic, this is great news, this wee lass has definately been tugging on our heart strings:luv:

Zoe bowie
4th May 2010, 02:46 PM
That's great news Karlin, I will be donating something on Friday-slightly broke until then :o

Karlin
4th May 2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for thinking about Rosie and with the generosity of board members, I think she is covered now for expenses: thanks so much again to all who have helped out; people here are just the best in caring about rescues and the breed's well-being generally :flwr:. I will find out the bill total shortly :eek: as I am off to go collect this lady from my vets right now! I will be so glad to see her and as she is going to foster on the board, I am sure we will get some updates as she comes along and hopefully!!!!! gets some hair again!

:dogwlk:

KCB
4th May 2010, 04:22 PM
Absolutely thrilled to hear Rosie is on the mend and on her way home. This little lady has stolen my heart. Karlin I have lodged a small amount directly to Irish Cavalier Rescue today and hope it helps with Rosie's bill or another rescue. When the lady in the bank saw it was a donation towards cavalier rescue she told me that her 11 year old cavalier died yesterday. She had been due to be put to sleep but died peacefully. It was such a coincidence. Please give Rosie a gentle hug.

mishy
4th May 2010, 04:24 PM
So glad Rosie is on the mend! It will be a lucky family that gets to take her home she certainly has touched all our hearts. Give her a big hug from me Karlin.

Charlifarley
4th May 2010, 04:27 PM
Its great to hear she is on the mend. Hope it stays that way for her. I have sent a small donation too. If you don't need it for Rosie, you can keep it for the next deserving dog that comes along.

Cathy T
4th May 2010, 04:30 PM
That's wonderful news Karlin!! I think Rosie has touched each of us and I'm so glad she found her guardian angels.

Karlin
4th May 2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks so much once again. :flwr:

I collected her at 4:30 and she is a totally different dog! She was absolutely full of beans, busy meeting dogs in the waiting rooms and snuffling all about and trying to rush up to everyone on the lead as I took her out to the car. I just cannot believe how much better she is!!

She is not only eating but the vets said it would be easy to give her pills as long as they are in food. :lol: That sounds more like a normal cavalier to me!

I made a little video and will post it up later. I could hardly get a video as she was dashing around so fast -- you will see a real change even from the previous video here.

She is with her fosters, who might post and update us on her progress. :) She is just such a gorgeous gentle little dog.

Rj Mac
4th May 2010, 07:13 PM
Fantastic:D

Just out of curiosity Karlin, what type of home would you be looking for this girl?

R.

Shivers
4th May 2010, 07:50 PM
Well Miss Rosie is settling herself in quite well. No problems with her and Belle, they are just mooching around together. She really is very sweet and she loves her cuddles.
I am actually making dinner and I have mince meat cooking and she is glued to my heels waiting for me to drop something :rolleyes:

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq328/nolan_siobhan/061.jpg

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq328/nolan_siobhan/062.jpg

I'll try and get some better pictures later. I cant get her to sit still for 2 minutes so I can take some!!

Nicki
4th May 2010, 08:07 PM
Bless you Siobhan for taking her in :flwr: - she just sounds the most wonderful dog and is going to make a lucky family extremely happy.

We just wish her many happy healthy years :xfngr::flwr:

Desrae
4th May 2010, 08:27 PM
That is just great news! :D
She looks better already, and waiting for something to drop while you're cookin' is a very good sign indeed.
God Bless!

susandavis1
5th May 2010, 09:35 AM
Awww, it's so lovely to see Rosie up and about, full of beans and feeling so much better, she looks brilliant in the pics, so much better than she was. :)
Unfortunately, we were unable to re-foster Rosie as my father in law was brought into hospital over the weekend. Thanks to Siobhan for fostering her, please give her a big hug from me.

sins
5th May 2010, 09:56 AM
She looks so much better!:)
It's amazing when a cavalier is feeling comfortable and no longer in pain how their true temperament shines through.The vets have done a great job with her.
Sins

Nicki
5th May 2010, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately, we were unable to re-foster Rosie as my father in law was brought into hospital over the weekend.

So sorry to hear this - I do hope he will be ok.

Karlin
5th May 2010, 11:22 AM
Rosie I think now would fit well in most homes though keeping in mind she is not housetrained and needs work in that area.

She won't be immediately seeking a home however -- we will see how she does with her fosters. ;)

Teresa
5th May 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Karlin, I've sent a little donation this morning via paypal....please let me know if it gets to you ok as I've not done this before....thanks

Glad to see Rosie is much better :jmp2::jmp2:

Tania
5th May 2010, 02:16 PM
I am so pleased Rosie is doing well. Thanks for all the updates:)

Shelli
5th May 2010, 02:24 PM
Havent been on much lately as I'm trying to get finished a mountain of course work :o so just catching up with this now. Great to see that Rosie is improving and I'm sure with a bit of love and attention she will be a perfect loving companion for some lucky person. Big thank you to Karlin and Siobháin and everyone else involved in giving this little one a normal happy life :)

susandavis1
5th May 2010, 03:43 PM
So sorry to hear this - I do hope he will be ok.

Thanks Nicki, he has ongoing heart problems and his heart stopped for 4 minutes last Saturday night :eek:. He is still in hospital receving treatment but fingers crossed he will be ok.

Karlin
5th May 2010, 06:37 PM
Yes just got it -- just catching up on emails finally -- many many thanks! :flwr:

Teresa
5th May 2010, 11:11 PM
No worries, sorry I couldn't give more :(

amanda L
7th May 2010, 12:32 PM
Great to see Rosie looking so much better, she looks like she's well settling in with you and your family Siobhan:), lovely pics:D

Shivers
8th May 2010, 12:10 AM
Rosie is doing really well. I think i'll have to rename her Nosy Rosie as she likes to examine everything when we go for a walk! She walks very nicely on her lead and is eating and drinking well.

She is also very friendly with the kids which is lovely. She loves all the attention. Ryan calls her 'the orange dog, Wosie'
She's is actually responding really well to the name as well. We are about 90% of the way there with potty training so fingers crossed she keeps up the good work. Her hair seems to be growing back so hopefully she will have a nice coat soon enough. She is a very sweet little girl :)

Shelli
8th May 2010, 09:31 AM
Great to hear Rosie is getting on so well. Thanks for the update Siobháin :)

Nicki
8th May 2010, 10:01 AM
Thank you so much for the update, Rosie sounds such a wonderful dog - lovely that she is happy and doing so well now.

Rj Mac
8th May 2010, 12:33 PM
Great stuff,

It's so good to hear she's doing well:D

Fifer
8th May 2010, 12:46 PM
I keep popping on here just to see how Rosie is getting on icon_blshing I couldn't be more pleased with her progress. :lotsaluv: Well done everyone! :rah:

Shivers
8th May 2010, 11:14 PM
I put some new photos of Rosie in the gallery.

We had a busy day today. Went to visit my sister in law this morning and then I had to babysit my nephews so I had 5 children (4 of them under 4 years) and 2 dogs to mind!! :eek:
Then this evening we called to my mother in law.

Rosie and Belle came along for all the visits and she did really well. I think she loves the attention from the kids.

allie
18th May 2010, 12:22 PM
How is the beautiful Rosie coming on?

Shivers
18th May 2010, 12:53 PM
She is doing really well. I am going to wait another few days before I post any more pictures because her hair is coming on really well (on her back anyway) so we will have to post some before and after pictures :p

Herself and Belle are getting on really well, although for some reason they both decide to squish into the one dog bed when I have 2.

We have taken her out for lots of walks and she walks very nicely on her lead. She is coming on well with the toilet training, not totally there yet but definitely getting the hang of things.

She really is a sweet girl, its so hard to believe anybody could neglect her.

Zoe bowie
18th May 2010, 01:20 PM
So have you decided to keep her???? Sounds like she has just settled in lovely with your family, I am so please this little one is at last living the true life of a cavalier, one with loads of love, security & care-a big thank you to all who have been involved with her rescue & care, particularly you Siobhain for giving her a home to recuperate in :thnku:

allie
18th May 2010, 03:40 PM
I am so please this little one is at last living the true life of a cavalier, one with loads of love, security & care-a big thank you to all who have been involved with her rescue & care, particularly you Siobhain for giving her a home to recuperate in

Hear, hear.
Many thanks to everyone involved in helping Rosie.

Karlin
22nd May 2010, 03:18 AM
That's wonderful to hear her hair is starting to come back in; I know everyone will love seeing some pictures as she improves! b*n*n*

Shivers
6th June 2010, 01:08 PM
I've put some new photos of Rosie in the gallery :)

Karlin
6th June 2010, 03:17 PM
:*nana::*nana: