• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poppy getting up earlier & earlier !

Molski

Hello All,

Im looking for a little bit of advice , Our new little recruit Poppy is coming on leaps and bounds in many ways , apart from one . We are currently crate training her as she was already use to her crate when we got her from the breeder ( we got her at 11weeks old) She was basically sleeping from 11pm until 6.30am before crying to be let out , this was amazing and we were very lucky . After a month or 2 she shortened this by crying at 5am. Now this is ok, i got up at 5am let her and Alfie out and then they come upstairs to bed with us for a couple of hours . Now this little monkey is starting to cry at 4am , she however does need to go out at 4am as when i open the door she goes to toilet straight away . Please note i am going to bed at 11am every night to keep it consistant . Poppy is 5months old. Any thoughts ? In theory i suppose being that she is only 5months old lasting till 4am is about right , its just strange how she was lasting until 6.30am . On a side note Poppy attended her first puppy training lesson yesterday and she was a star :)

You may want to consider what times you are feeding her, and how late you allow her to have water (many people pick up water bowls an hour or so before bed to prevent exactly this behavior). I personally do not use this method, so i don't recommend starting this until you make sure that it is appropriate to take water away from a puppy.

It might be a trend. Leo will sometimes sleep in until 7am then goes through a phase of waking us VERY early. Today was 5.30am:mad: Momma was not happy.

I tend to ignore him until a reasonable time....after a few days he reverts back to a more civalised time:slp:

We have, however been lucky and not come down stairs to any mess. Just a thought.

Mel

:wggle:Congratulations on the puppy training!
It might just be that she is drinking too much water before going into the crate for the night. I personally don't like taking up the water bowl at all, but maybe just leave a little bit in it so she won't fill up so much on the water. Maybe you should take her out before she cries (you would have to set you alarm for this one), say at 4am and then put her back to bed, she might fuss a little but she has to get used to it... that's how we trained our pups who had similar problems up until they were about 6 months old. Now it's dry nights for all!
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you all for your suggestions, ill let you know her progress over the coming weeks, im lucky really because she always asks to go out for her toilet stops during the day so im sure we will get there .:)

I'm having the same problem with Dylan who wakes me and Poppy up by barking non stop until I tell him off and he gets back on my bed. Sometimes he gets Poppy up, who prefers to sleep in late so I get up. I won't feed them till 8am hoping to curb this habit :confused: I'm getting to bed very early these days.

Pauline....Dylans barking until you get up must be a family trait as that is exactly what Leo doesicon_nwunsure

Back