PDA

View Full Version : Matthew

Margaret C
13th May 2010, 07:09 PM
It is with a very sore heart that I need to tell you that Matthew was PTS yesterday.
I bred him myself and he would have been 12 years old on 11th June.

I find it hard to lose him just two months after Tyson died.

A big tricolour boy, Matthew had SM which diagnosed through a low cost breeder's scan in January 2005. That was a terrible shock as he had no symptoms.

He had a grade 5 MVD murmur, although that did not start until he was about eight years old.
He also had an untreatable anal adenoma. Chemical castration had not worked, and his heart was too bad for him to survive an operation.

He has been deteriorating for some time and I had been agonising over whether his quality of life was good enough. This week I decided I must let him go before it was too late.

Yesterday morning we had a last walk with his two cavalier cronies and they all got to try and chase a foolish cat.

He was put to sleep by Clare Rusbridge, with the lovely Vet Nurse Sandy cuddling him, while I looked into his eyes, told him how wonderful he was and and fed him tidbits. He fell asleep with a morsel of chicken in his mouth, not a bad way to die if you are a greedy cavalier.

He has contributed tissue to the various research projects.

There is a great big empty Matthew sized space in our house at the moment.

emsley
13th May 2010, 07:13 PM
I am so very, very sorry for your loss of Matthew.
He was obviously a very much loved boy, and my heart goes out to you.

Brian M
13th May 2010, 07:25 PM
Hello Margaret

How very ,very sad .Our special thoughts from us all go out to you.:(

MurphysMummy
13th May 2010, 07:26 PM
So sorry for your loss. He lived a good life with you even if he was poorly.
Sending cuddles from me and murphy.
Rest in Peace Matthew.

merello
13th May 2010, 07:44 PM
So sorry for the loss of Matthew. x

brid kenny
13th May 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave him a beautiful life and a perfectlast day.

jasperpaw
13th May 2010, 08:01 PM
I am so very sorry to read of the loss of Matthew, thinking of you at this sad time.:hug:

Zoe bowie
13th May 2010, 08:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your Matthew, you did a very kind thing to let him go, hope I'll be able to make that decision if & when the time comes...sending you a big hug & let you know we are thinking of you at this sad & hard time :hug:

Sabby
13th May 2010, 08:08 PM
I am so so sorry to hear you loosing Matthew so soon after Tyson. Sending lots of:hug:
I am sure he is having fun at the bridge with all his buddies.

Cardinia
13th May 2010, 08:13 PM
Sorry to read of the loss of your Matthew, thinking of you at this sad time.

*Pauline*
13th May 2010, 08:25 PM
Oh no Margaret, I'm so sorry :cry*ing: Bless you for being brave enough to donate to the research programs. :hug:

Desrae
13th May 2010, 08:30 PM
Oh Margaret that is so very sad. I have a big lump in my throat after reading your post. Rest in Peace Dear Matthew!
I must say that dying with a tidbit of chicken in your mouth isn't a bad way for a greedy cavalier to die at all. You gave him such a good life and he gave you so much back. My condolences to you.:flwr:

Charlifarley
13th May 2010, 08:39 PM
Margaret, I too am so sorry to read about Matthew.
Thinking of you and sending you :hug:

pippa
13th May 2010, 08:45 PM
Your post brought me to tears...I am so sorry :(

Nicki
13th May 2010, 09:46 PM
Dear Margaret

We are so sorry to hear of Matthew's loss - he was very special and led a wonderful life despite his problems.

I know you will miss him terribly, it must be even more difficult having bred him :(:(:(

I didn't realise until today that he actually shared Rupert's birthday - which makes him extra special.

I really admire you for taking Matthew to Clare and for putting him through the SM Collection Scheme - so very hard for you to drive all the way to London and back at this time.

Thank you for allowing Matthew to go through the scheme - this is such a very valuable project and I hope that in time it will be a comfort that Matthew's passing was not in vain.

We are thinking of you at this very sad time.

sins
13th May 2010, 11:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Margaret.It must be so hard to see him leave,having brought him into the world yourself.
Sins

Love my Cavaliers
13th May 2010, 11:10 PM
Good bye sweet Matthew. Run like the wind!! I'm so sorry Margaret.

Karen and Ruby
13th May 2010, 11:34 PM
Oh Margaret

Im sooo sorry to hear about Matthew, you must be in bits but you are very brave to think of him first and let him have a graceful end to his wonerful long life with you x

Our thoughts are with you

Wagtails
13th May 2010, 11:39 PM
Oh Margaret, how very sad to lose such a grand old man and such a special companion so soon after Tyson. My heart is heavy for you all. Run free, special boy

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Cards/CuddlingpuppiesforMargaretC.jpg

Teresa
13th May 2010, 11:45 PM
So sad Margaret :( I have tears in my eyes after reading your post.

I fear I will be facing having my cat put to sleep soon....she was a rescue 17 years ago. She's poorly and went to the vet today.

It's a comfort I think that you know they have had the best life you could have given them....xxx

kimy27
14th May 2010, 12:06 AM
So sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you. He sounds like he was a lovely boy.

matties mum
14th May 2010, 11:16 AM
I am so sorry
--Aileen

Sandrac
14th May 2010, 08:08 PM
Margaret, so very sorry you had to give Matthew his wings. :hug:

It must have been so hard for you driving to Clares to do this, but he couldn't have been in a better place, I have the greatest admiration for all at Stone Lion and I an ever great admiration for you to have him be part of the SM Collection Scheme.

You are in my thoughts at this sad time, take care.:flwr:

Molski
14th May 2010, 08:39 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss , they leave such huge holes in our heart .

Margaret C
15th May 2010, 02:08 AM
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I do appreciate them.

Matthew was the last of a litter of three tricolours. His Mother, who lives with my friend, is still alive age 16.

Matthew was a mild mannered, sweet tempered dog who never did a disobedient thing in his life.
Just a really lovely boy.

When Monty died someone sent me the following poem. I see Karlin has it her quiet corner, but I would like to repeat it here.........

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

Jane P
15th May 2010, 08:26 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. How poignant the words of that poem are. My thoughts are with you at this very sad time.

ByFloSin
15th May 2010, 12:15 PM
Typing through the tears after reading that poem.

So sorry for your loss Margaret, but thank you for doing the right thing at the right time.

Shivers
15th May 2010, 03:49 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave Matthew a very special last day

Cathy T
15th May 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Matthew, especially so close after Tyson.

Tania
15th May 2010, 07:02 PM
Dear Margaret, I am so sorry. Thinking of you at this sad time. :hug:

tara
15th May 2010, 10:12 PM
I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Matthew sounds like a wonderful dog who was deeply loved. Sending you healing thoughts during this tough time.

Bunnylover
17th May 2010, 06:01 PM
so very sorry :(

meljoy
17th May 2010, 06:13 PM
Oh Margaret Im only just reading this now. I am so very very sorry for you and am sending lots of love and hugs to you.
You give so much support to others I hope you can feel all the love we're sending you.

Mel XX

Margaret C
17th May 2010, 11:41 PM
Oh Margaret Im only just reading this now. I am so very very sorry for you and am sending lots of love and hugs to you.
You give so much support to others I hope you can feel all the love we're sending you.

Mel XX

Oh Mel,

You have brought tears to my eyes.
My thanks to you all.

Claire L
18th May 2010, 10:21 AM
Margaret I'm so sorry, I'm only just seeing this now. I'm so sorry for your loss :(

It's lovely that you were able to take Mathew out for a walk and be one with him as he passed.

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers at this sad time :hug:Mathew and Tyson were blessed to have loved and been loved by you. Take care.

James
19th May 2010, 11:33 AM
I am so sorry for your loss of Mathew

The Rouge Princess
20th May 2010, 06:05 PM
Margaret, I'm so sorry for your loss.

x

team bella
20th May 2010, 08:52 PM
Oh Margaret, I've only just read this.
So sorry for your loss. Sending you lots of love x

Rj Mac
21st May 2010, 05:42 PM
Margaret we'v only just read this now, we are so very sorry for your loss :hug::hug::hug: