• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Matthew

Margaret C

It is with a very sore heart that I need to tell you that Matthew was PTS yesterday.
I bred him myself and he would have been 12 years old on 11th June.

I find it hard to lose him just two months after Tyson died.

A big tricolour boy, Matthew had SM which diagnosed through a low cost breeder's scan in January 2005. That was a terrible shock as he had no symptoms.

He had a grade 5 MVD murmur, although that did not start until he was about eight years old.
He also had an untreatable anal adenoma. Chemical castration had not worked, and his heart was too bad for him to survive an operation.

He has been deteriorating for some time and I had been agonising over whether his quality of life was good enough. This week I decided I must let him go before it was too late.

Yesterday morning we had a last walk with his two cavalier cronies and they all got to try and chase a foolish cat.

He was put to sleep by Clare Rusbridge, with the lovely Vet Nurse Sandy cuddling him, while I looked into his eyes, told him how wonderful he was and and fed him tidbits. He fell asleep with a morsel of chicken in his mouth, not a bad way to die if you are a greedy cavalier.

He has contributed tissue to the various research projects.

There is a great big empty Matthew sized space in our house at the moment.

I am so very, very sorry for your loss of Matthew.
He was obviously a very much loved boy, and my heart goes out to you.

So sorry for your loss. He lived a good life with you even if he was poorly.
Sending cuddles from me and murphy.
Rest in Peace Matthew.

I am so sorry to hear about your Matthew, you did a very kind thing to let him go, hope I'll be able to make that decision if & when the time comes...sending you a big hug & let you know we are thinking of you at this sad & hard time :hug:

I am so so sorry to hear you loosing Matthew so soon after Tyson. Sending lots of:hug:
I am sure he is having fun at the bridge with all his buddies.

Oh no Margaret, I'm so sorry :cry*ing: Bless you for being brave enough to donate to the research programs. :hug:

Oh Margaret that is so very sad. I have a big lump in my throat after reading your post. Rest in Peace Dear Matthew!
I must say that dying with a tidbit of chicken in your mouth isn't a bad way for a greedy cavalier to die at all. You gave him such a good life and he gave you so much back. My condolences to you.:flwr:

Dear Margaret

We are so sorry to hear of Matthew's loss - he was very special and led a wonderful life despite his problems.

I know you will miss him terribly, it must be even more difficult having bred him :(:(:(

I didn't realise until today that he actually shared Rupert's birthday - which makes him extra special.

I really admire you for taking Matthew to Clare and for putting him through the SM Collection Scheme - so very hard for you to drive all the way to London and back at this time.

Thank you for allowing Matthew to go through the scheme - this is such a very valuable project and I hope that in time it will be a comfort that Matthew's passing was not in vain.

We are thinking of you at this very sad time.

I'm so sorry to hear this Margaret.It must be so hard to see him leave,having brought him into the world yourself.
Sins

Oh Margaret

Im sooo sorry to hear about Matthew, you must be in bits but you are very brave to think of him first and let him have a graceful end to his wonerful long life with you x

Our thoughts are with you

Oh Margaret, how very sad to lose such a grand old man and such a special companion so soon after Tyson. My heart is heavy for you all. Run free, special boy

CuddlingpuppiesforMargaretC.jpg

So sad Margaret :( I have tears in my eyes after reading your post.

I fear I will be facing having my cat put to sleep soon....she was a rescue 17 years ago. She's poorly and went to the vet today.

It's a comfort I think that you know they have had the best life you could have given them....xxx

Back