PDA

View Full Version : Boarding + Brushing

cy1266
13th May 2010, 10:23 PM
I have a question- when you go on vacation and board your dogs, do you request them to be brushed daily/every other day? We just got back from vacation and my parents watched Miles and Truman for a week. While their ears were brushed, Truman's chest hair became quite matted - they must not have brushed him thoroughly enough. I can't complain, since it didn't cost me anything :) ...but...assuming we board them at a doggy daycare next time, is it reasonable to ask for them to be thoroughly brushed every other day? It was a nightmare getting those mats out. His hair is so long and I couldn't even see where I was brushing. For those of you who don't clip your Cavaliers short, what do you do???

Also - any good tricks to getting mats out? Normally they don't get mats, but Truman sometimes gets little ones by his underarms...

Thanks!
Carrie

Charlifarley
14th May 2010, 05:35 PM
Haven't really boarded my two, so can't advise you on what to expect.
Sometimes rubbing in some hair conditioner can help to detangle the matts, otherwise I just snip them out.

ByFloSin
15th May 2010, 12:24 PM
Haven't really boarded my two, so can't advise you on what to expect.
Sometimes rubbing in some hair conditioner can help to detangle the matts, otherwise I just snip them out.

Every coat is different but I find it helps ward off the matts to use a good after shampoo conditioner.

A good quality comb is good for taking out tangles on mine. I prefer a fine flea comb, followed by a moult comb, then I use a Mason Pearson pure bristle brush for finishing. If sunlight is likely to be strong outside (some hope!), then I brush in some Ring 5 Conditioning Spray for protection from u.v. rays.

When mine went into boarding kennels a few years back I was told that grooming and bathing were extra and was given a list of charges. I assume this is usual practice.

Gem
15th May 2010, 01:31 PM
i think it depends on the kennels - the one we occasionally use will brush them for no extra cost but to be honest i dont really mind if they dont as long as the girls are safe and happy there. I just always book in for the groomers the day after they come home as they do a magical job of getting those knots out :)