PDA

View Full Version : Question about PetPlan "Pre-Existing Condition"



Ginger's Mom
16th May 2010, 09:56 AM
I'm thinking about signing Ginger up for PetPlan but worried about getting our claims denied that relate to her heart as it may be considered a "pre-existing condition".

She is 3 1/2 years old now, and at her 2 year heart check the cardiologist said that he could hear a slight heart murmur but there was no official diagnosis.

Now she is approaching 4 years of age I really want to take her into see a cardiologist to do some thorough testing on her and find out if she has developed a moderate or severe MVD. She has not exhibited any of the severe or moderate symptoms, but I have begun noticing that she breathes heavily while she is resting (still seldom). She weighs 18 pounds and is not overweight. I'd like to take her in as early as this week but want to sign up for the insurance beforehand.

So I have two questions for the forum:

- Will PetPlan deny coverage for her heart by calling it a pre-existing condition, even though she has never been officially diagnosed with MVD and none of her regular vet visits state on paper?

- I researched the forum thoroughly and it definitely seems like PetPlan is the best choice. I'm looking at the Bronze/$50 Deductible/0% plan which is about $60 a month. Is this the most appropriate plan for the possible condition that Ginger may have (MVD)? She does not have SM, has some dental issues but healthy otherwise. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much forum!!

Teresa
16th May 2010, 10:02 AM
I have pet plan insurance - expensive but I think you get what you pay for.....
Not sure where you stand with the heart issue - maybe ask at your vets receptionist to look at the records to see if anythings been noticed on there...
Best of luck !!

Ginger's Mom
16th May 2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Teresa

I checked and none of the vet records reference the heart murmur...

Lani
16th May 2010, 02:00 PM
When you sign up for Pet Plan, they will require you to have your vet fax all the vet records to them. (I have PetPlan)

As long as none of the paperwork they will fax states anything about a murmur, then I would think you should be fine. I can't say for sure of course, but if I were you, I would probably go ahead and get the policy as long as nothing in writing documents that conversation with the vet.

Pat
16th May 2010, 08:27 PM
When you sign up for Pet Plan, they will require you to have your vet fax all the vet records to them. (I have PetPlan)

FWIW, I have signed up two Cavaliers with PetPlan in the past year, and they did not contact my vet either time for records. I presume that whenever I make my first claim they will ask for records.

Pat

Kate H
16th May 2010, 08:28 PM
Most UK insurers have a 2-week period after you take out their insurance in which anything diagnosed will count as a 'pre-existent condition'. If it's the same in the US, it would be worth waiting that long before you see a cardiologist.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Teresa
16th May 2010, 08:55 PM
That's true - two weeks for illness but not accidents as far as I know.....

Also if you go too soon then they may suspect you already knew ...

Lani
16th May 2010, 09:03 PM
FWIW, I have signed up two Cavaliers with PetPlan in the past year, and they did not contact my vet either time for records. I presume that whenever I make my first claim they will ask for records.

Pat

Pat, that is right. I submitted a claim for Lucky's dental and they required me to get the vet to fax all his records before they would make a determination on the claim.

Nicki
16th May 2010, 09:16 PM
Just a general warning to please be very careful in this situation - it could be classed as insurance fraud if you are aware of an existing condition, whether it is in your vets' records or not.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation - insurance should be taken out at the earliest possible opportunity so that this type of situation does not arise.

Teresa
16th May 2010, 09:21 PM
I just read what I put!! It makes me sounds like I'm a right dodgy character!!!!
As your dog seems to have had a sketchy vague diagnosis I really wouldn't worry too much. Her heart is probably fine!!

I've insured both of mine with pet plan from eight weeks.....In Barney's case it's been worthwhile!! (2500 for lameness that went on its own in the end!!) I would rather have insurance than face huge bills....

Peace of mind is priceless!!

Best of luck with Ginger...x

milandmais
16th May 2010, 11:39 PM
Hi gingers mom,

Hope this helps but we found ourselves in exactly the same situation with out 3 yr old blenheim millie,at around two years old our vet picked up on the slightest of murmurs and said that it couldnt even be 'graded' as it was barely there.On the last two major check up visits and also a check up with a different vets it was said that it wasnt even there and still was not bad enough to be gradedicon_nwunsure,however on insuring my four girls around 5 months ago it had to be declared to petplan,heart conditions are now on millies insurance papers as an exclusion.

Just the fact that it has been mentioned to you means that you are aware of it and it has to be declared as a pre-existing condition.It will have most probably been recorded on your vets notes.better to be honest and straight.

good luck and i hope my experience of it helps.
:smile:

Wagtails
22nd May 2010, 05:36 PM
I've been in a similar sitution with an older dog as well - best to be honest, otherwise you could land yourself in a lot of trouble.

I learned that it's a good idea to get the insurance taken out as soon as you get the dog (or even before if that's possible), wait for the statutory two weeks, then take the dog to your vet for its initial assessment. :d*g: