• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

potty training question

Sullysmom

Hello! I am new to the wonderful Cavalier breed. I have owned and trained many dogs, but always large breeds such as labradors. This is my first experience with a small breed. Sully is 12 weeks old. I do crate train so when get wakes up, we immediately go outside. This is the method I have found to be easiest to "predict" when the little ones have to go. Potty training is going really well except one thing. Every 2-3 days, Sully goes out in the morning as usual, does his business and comes back in. Then, about 10 minutes after he has gone, he has another bowel movement in the house. Is this normal to have one back to back like that??? It's a little hard to predict since he has just gone. Just wondering... want to make sure there isn't anything I'm doing wrong?

I'll be very interested in any responses you get to this question. I am having the same issue with my 5 month old. He's peeing outside just fine now but still having problems with the pooping. And it's so unpredictable as to when he needs to go. He poops first thing in the morning after waking up. But then he usually does another in the a.m. but it can be anywhere from 9:00 to 11:00. I take him outside every hour but he still will go inside sometimes. We "have a party" when he poops outside so he knows it's a good thing. I can sometimes catch him starting inside and get him outside in time. I'll be curious to see what advice others can give on this.

We had the opposite problem with our Abigail. She would poop outside; even let us know that she had to go out. Trouble was she would pee in the house without warning.

We used the crate when we couldn't watch her every second. Finally she got it but she took longer to train than our golden.Also she was taken out quite often.After any sleep or eating ; after 5 to 10 minutes of play or free time in house. I even gave her a tiny treat when she did her business.

Good Luck!

Heather R

Barney was a miracle puppy 90% outside with everything in the day time after a week...
Cassie has been harder work but I think "normal" We do the prediction thing and now at 17 weeks she's 90% ok with prompting more so when she's playing and forgets to go out.
She is better with the door open and mostly will take herself out...for colder days I've been training her to open the door when it's almost closed, amazing how quickly they learn for a treat!! I did this with Barney and even now at eight he'll scratch the door lightly to go out.

As for encouragement I now am gruff and cross for accidents in the house and still full of praise for outside (and little biscuits too.)

When she's peeing right from the start I've used the words go wees now when we're out walking if I say the words when she's on grass she will stop and spend a penny otherwise she will wait til I get home..

Not sure how much help this is for you but I thought I'd share it anyway!! Best of luck...xx:)

When Sully has a bowel movement really close in timing to his first one of the morning, is it right after he eats? Some dogs have an amazingly rapid gastro-colic reflex and need to go almost immediately after eating. Oliver was like that as a pup. He's now grown out of the immediate response, but still goes out for another poop with in a half hour of eating - even if he had a poop right before he ate.

That could be. He eats in the morning, poops, comes inside and sometimes poops again. Maybe I just need to count on 2 poops in the morning??? I will try that. Just wondered if he wasn't finishing the first time??? If only they could talk..... Hee Hee!

Thanks everyone for their help. He's such a joy in our family. Keeps us laughing!

lol Cassie let herself out for a no 2 as I posted that!! Clever girl!!

How funny.....Micah finally let me know this evening and we had a little "poopy party" complete with treats and cheers. Let's hope they can both keep this up :)

Try walking him more in the morning after his first poop. Sometimes walking and moving around will help get any remaining poo in the colon moving so it will end up outside rather than in your house!

I would also watch him like a hawk after coming inside to make sure he doesn't show any signs of needing to go again...like an arched back, excessive sniffing, or circling. If you catch any of those signs, hopefully you can get him out before it lands on your floor!

Also, is he eating on a set schedule? Feeding meals at certain times helps make when a poop will come much more predictable.

Good luck!

Yes, he is on a strict eating schedule. He eats the same time as my labrador plus another meal in the middle. We are going to try to stay out longer in the morning. I will keep you guys posted. Thank you so much for all the helpful hints. He's still pretty young so hopefully it will get better with age. =) =)

He is quiet young, and best of luck with him.

My Penny seems to have a fascination of doing her business upstairs, even if she has been out, if she gets upstairs at all, we will either find a wee or a poo!! I've only caught her a couple of times in the act and picked her straight up and brought her out the back, after pointing at it and saying 'NO' but most of the time she flies upstairs without us knowing & we find the mess when we go up there later, and we can't correct her then!! If she doesn't get upstairs, there is no mess EVER..I praise her when she goes outside and make a big fuss of her....I don't understand her fascination with upstairs, I've used everything to kill her scent up there....

He is quiet young, and best of luck with him.

My Penny seems to have a fascination of doing her business upstairs, even if she has been out, if she gets upstairs at all, we will either find a wee or a poo!! I've only caught her a couple of times in the act and picked her straight up and brought her out the back, after pointing at it and saying 'NO' but most of the time she flies upstairs without us knowing & we find the mess when we go up there later, and we can't correct her then!! If she doesn't get upstairs, there is no mess EVER..I praise her when she goes outside and make a big fuss of her....I don't understand her fascination with upstairs, I've used everything to kill her scent up there....

If this were my puppy, I would have a baby gate on the stairs so there will be no way of Penny getting up there without supervision. That should end this problem, because she will only be upstairs if someone is with her so you CAN correct her if you catch her in the act! She will catch on to the idea in no time then you can eventually get rid of the gate (I know they are annoying to have around the house, but so helpful)

Back